Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have just taken the generic safeway brand of stool softner.... its a pretty small pill

It took me quite a while for things to get normal, but (here is a giant TMI session) preop I drank tons of diet coke and had diareha everyday because of it, now I am having a small BM about every other day. I have had to be creative about finding ways to implement fruits and veggies into my daily intake.

My obgyn told me that they are not habit-forming and the body does not become dependent on them because they're not a chemical stimulant, and all they do is draw Water into the bowel.

I have only had a couple of episodes of major Constipation. Miralax is fabulous, and I found that when I would eat yogurt and take Probiotics, I became more regular.

I go every day now. I think it's because I'm in a different stage, and I drink my normal cup of coffee every morning. The only time I skip a day is when I eat a bunch of cheese and Protein only. My surgeon said no no to laxatives and stool softeners used on a regular basis only because our bodies get used to having the stimulant effect. Also, stool softeners tend to pull the fluids from the rest of your body to soften the stool with more liquids to help it pass. He did say if we had to take a stool softener then to increase our clear liquid intake to compensate for the stool softener usage.

I've only had to take Miralax a few times (like 4 -5 times) over the last 11 months. I mix it in some juice or crystal light, and drink it slowly. I also only use a half dose. It may take it a few more hours to work, but I'm not looking to have explosive poops after being constipated.

Ok so just an update I took some MOM this morning and a few hours later had a BM. Seriously it felt fantastic to go. Ill wait a few days, see if I go naturally otherwise Ill take it again. Sounds funny but I weighed myself before the BM and then right after and I lost a half a pound. haha. I am now 6 days out and 12 pounds down. i tend to loose fast after surgery. After my lap band 7 years ago i lost 30 pounds the first month.

Ok so just an update I took some MOM this morning and a few hours later had a BM. Seriously it felt fantastic to go. Ill wait a few days, see if I go naturally otherwise Ill take it again. Sounds funny but I weighed myself before the BM and then right after and I lost a half a pound. haha. I am now 6 days out and 12 pounds down. i tend to loose fast after surgery. After my lap band 7 years ago i lost 30 pounds the first month.

LOL

we were talking about that somewhere else - there are a few of us who jump on the scale after going #2! the scale has never moved for me tho :confused1:

Glad you feel better!

There are days when I'm so miserable with Constipation that I have actually considered looking into vegetarian meals for VSG patients. Does anyone have any info for vegetarian Protein diets for us?:svengo:

VSG 4/10/2010

Post op weight: 365

Current weight: 313