Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the foamies? I've heard of a few people mention that word... kinda scary! :/

To add to what ourobourus shared, foamies can also be once you get to heavy foods, you take a bite too fast, or don't chew enough, and it takes longer to go down or for your new stomach to accept, then you can dry heave, and get this disgusting foamy, thick saliva stuff coming up from your esophagus because you ate too fast or didn't chew well enough.

It's typically a quickly learned lesson. It isn't horrific, but I experienced it A LOT with the band, and knew instantly when it was going to happen with the sleeve. It was only a couple of episodes early out so I haven't done it in months.

Well, it is nice to know that I am not a lone. I got a bit angry today for not being able to eat the quantities I did before. Only a few spoonfuls or bites and I hit my maximum before truly enjoying food. I loved food (and still do) and that makes its frustrating that I cannot enjoy it like before.

In the end it is a small price to pay for health. I know in time I will learn to enjoy and be happy with the smaller portions and really savor every bite. As for now I am a bit bitter.

Well, it is nice to know that I am not a lone. I got a bit angry today for not being able to eat the quantities I did before. Only a few spoonfuls or bites and I hit my maximum before truly enjoying food. I loved food (and still do) and that makes its frustrating that I cannot enjoy it like before.

In the end it is a small price to pay for health. I know in time I will learn to enjoy and be happy with the smaller portions and really savor every bite. As for now I am a bit bitter.

Something really clicked for me around the 6-7 month mark. I was finally able to really enjoy food. I think a lot of had to do with the fact that I was trying to figure out maintenance and technically done losing. I quit fretting over certain things, and just focused on living as normal as I could.

Hang in there, it does get better. Your portions will get bigger, and you'll be more satisfied, I promise :blush:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I was having "buyers remorse" there for a while.

Tiff, as usual, you are spot-on in your comments. I am not spiritual in nature, but read a post over on OH today that snapped me back into reality.

I don't have to give up food. I can channel my love of cooking into finding ways to make healthy fare for my family (not that I don't now, I am a volume eater and a snacker).

I will admit though, I am still going to miss my glass of vino while cooking (that is my muse)!

Thanks again for the support everyone!

I have been thinking heavily about this issue too! food is such a social thing. I love to go out to eat a good meal with hubby, friends and family. Hell I love to stay home and have a great meal alone! hehe

I have just been trying to get it into my head that it will be less about quantity and more about quality. I can still have a few bites of my favorite foods..i just cant stuff myself into oblivion! Eat to live...don't live to eat maybe? Easier said then done though.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I was having "buyers remorse" there for a while.

Tiff, as usual, you are spot-on in your comments. I am not spiritual in nature, but read a post over on OH today that snapped me back into reality.

I don't have to give up food. I can channel my love of cooking into finding ways to make healthy fare for my family (not that I don't now, I am a volume eater and a snacker).

I will admit though, I am still going to miss my glass of vino while cooking (that is my muse)!

Thanks again for the support everyone!

Guess what you can have that glass of vino when your surgeon releases you for alcohol. You just have to count it in your calories for the day ! ! ! I figured, oh well 1 out of 7 days to be over by 150 calories isn't going to sabotage me.

I was a volume eater, and not really a snacker. Believe me, I love food, and loved it all the way up to 270lbs. Now, the sleeve has totally helped reinvent my relationship with foods. I admit, I still eat stuff that probably shouldn't be consumed very often, but I'm not going to diet my way back up the BMI chart. It's all about moderation.

I have become obsessed with new recipes, and I find it mentally challenging (which I thrive on that feeling) to figure out how I can make recipes more "sleeve appropriate". Then, when we eat my new "finds" and my husband and son rave about it, I get a huge sense of accomplishment and success. It makes me feel "good" to provide them something that not only tastes great, but something that I know exactly what is in there, and that I shaved off 300-800 calories by making some changes.

Sorry for the ramble, but I truly can't even express how fabulous life is once you get further out. It actually took me a couple of months to wrap my head around being able to have "treats" and little indulgences without feeling this huge sense of guilt. Then something just clicked, and now I feel like I'm living the very best life imaginable.

How did you all get through your pre-op days? I just made a ton of Jello and bought about 10 yogurts, as well as some sugar free popsicles and sugar free fudgcicles. I fly out Sunday so i just have to get through tomorrow and Saturday, this is going to be rough!!

I get sleeved on 5/20/10 my question is how do you know you have had enough to eat without going too far and getting the "foamies?"

I am in that learning stage now--right now I measure the food amounts and don't push it. I can now guess about 1/2 cup worth. As I am moving now to more dense foods I will have to slow down and feel it more.

My only episode so far was eating a tuna salad that was too dry and chunky during my mushie stage--it was unpleasant but it came up pretty quick and I was fine. Today I had tuna salad again--same brand--I added low fat mayo before hand this time and took my time--no issues. You really do get a feel for it.

Edited by Swiftflow

Measure your food. Initially, measure with a 1-2 ounce over the counter medicine dispensing cup. You'll most likely use them in the hospital to sip out of, bring one home. Once you get to full liquids, you should be able to measure with regular measuring cups 1/8-1/2 cup were the ones I used consistently.

There is no sense in weighing your food because our stomachs hold food by volume not weight.

Tiffykins, you have written the answer I would love to have been able to express. I think some people who have this op done are not great communicators so disappear from the forums especially as they attain a more 'normal' weight, some will be in denial that they ever had surgery too, as they will feel ashamed they needed help. I don't know any who failed to lose significant weight after this procedure though, do you? I would have throught by now I would have heard if they exist. The only downside to this op as far as I can see is the risk of a GA and possiblity of a leak in the 1st few weeks. Balanced against the risks of staying fat I would imagine that the op is safer than doing nothing within 6-12 months.

Edited by Jane_J
typo

I am not sure if this is really what I want to do. When I read on here about what people can and cannot eat, the foamies, pain etc...I think "what the heck am I doing?" Why can't I do it the "right way"?

It seems like the only people on here are the people thinking about having the surgery, people waiting to have the surgery, or people that are rockin' or at least workin' their sleeve. Where are all of the other people? What about the ones that weren't able to lose much? The ones that are nutritionally deprived now? The ones that absolutely hate the sleeve?

I think deep down, I don't want to give up my love affair with food. I love shopping for it, cooking it, and eating it. I will definitely need to channel all of that somewhere else.....

Just rumbling and ranting and looking for reassurances.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but maybe you really aren't ready for the surgery. . you might need to wait until your really ready. . . there are alot of posts about those of us who wish we hadn't done it, and alot of us who haven't lost much. . .maybe you need to hunt a bit more into the posts. . . good luck on your decisions. . .

I have seen some posts from people who haven't lost as much as expected, or are losing slow, but I have not seen any from people who wish they hadn't done it (other than right after surgery :). ). Is there a particular search that you know of that I can use to find those? I am more interested in why they think they shouldn't have done it...because they can't eat volumes any more, or because they have serious health issues. I think I was just having a moment of self-doubt, and my own private pity-party over not being able to eat like everyone else. I have moved on. I know that this is the right thing for me to do if I want to feel good again.

I have seen some posts from people who haven't lost as much as expected, or are losing slow, but I have not seen any from people who wish they hadn't done it (other than right after surgery :). ). Is there a particular search that you know of that I can use to find those? I am more interested in why they think they shouldn't have done it...because they can't eat volumes any more, or because they have serious health issues. I think I was just having a moment of self-doubt, and my own private pity-party over not being able to eat like everyone else. I have moved on. I know that this is the right thing for me to do if I want to feel good again.

I've seen a few people who had significant complications, but even so most of those are glad they had the surgery in the long run.

The few "regrets" posts I've seen are usually folks with significant food addictions who didn't really take the time to mourn the loss of their drug of choice.