Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question Regarding Size (Xpost)

Hi all,

Well, I met with the new Dr today, and he agrees that I need the band out, it is prolapsed. He also agrees that I can have a sleeve, and do not need a bypass at this point. So, I have a few questions from you all that are experienced.

If you had a band and then switched to a sleeve, did you do it all in one surgery? he is giving me the option to have 1 or 2.

What size is your sleeve, he mentioned that his normal size is a 42 bougie? He can make it smaller if I want, but will not go to small as to avoid nausea.

If you had a band, did your insurance cover it as a revision surgery? I have UHC, and they said they just need a pre-determination letter to make that decision, but it is a billable code so it is covered.

Think that is all i have for now.

thanks so much,

Nervous Patti!

I don't think the size of your new sleeve is going to determine whether you have nausea or not. I really think some of us are just more prone to it than others. I've not had one single bout of nausea at all since my surgery. I've never been one with a weak stomach or prone to throwing up or anything like that...I guess I have one of those "cast Iron stomachs".

42f is on the larger size...the most common size from what I've read is 32f-34f.

I think a stricture (bend in the stomach) is the more common concern with a smaller size. I had a 36 with a close suture. Someone with a 32 could have a bigger stomach depending on how close they suture/cut to the bougie.

If your surgeon is willing to go smaller, I would discuss it with him as well as his technique for suturing/cutting away the stomach. Best of luck!

Thank you for your responses. I thought that a 42 was a bit large, but then again, I only have 50#s to lose to get to goal! My band is still somewhat keeping me steady! I know he said he goes over the staples with something, but i missed that part, will make sure to ask again. He did say that the final stomach holds about 150 cc of food, not sure how that translates to oz, but i guess that isn't much.

thanks again,

Patti

I had my band out three weeks ago.

My doc would not do the band and the sleeve in the same surgery.

He said that he wants where the remove the band to heal up to make

it clearer when they cut to do the sleeve.

But, I have since decided he is very conservative.

I know a couple of people on board had the band out and the sleeve done on the same day. I think I would prefer that option, have the pain and get it over with.

My doc wanted to go witha 48fr and I decided that was way, way too big for me. Many of the docs on this board go with a 32fr. My new doc I have picked does a 36 and although I wish he would go to a 32, I am comfortable with that size. But I have about 130 lbs to lose.

Good luck to you with your decision,

Lisa