Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS....Does the surgery really help?

Hello everyone...HELP...

I am getting really discouraged with all I am reading online about PCOS.

I have PCOS and guess what? I am obese!!! Go figure!!! :)

I have been reading about how hard it is to lose weight with PCOS. I always have been able to lose weight pretty well (just didn't stick to it long enough before all the "evil" foods started to jump back into my mouth) It wasn't until recently (trying to get pregnant) that I had trouble losing and keeping weight off. I was wondering if being on the pill helps lose weight? I am on 2000 mg of Metformin a day. Don't get me wrong, I do eat some of the wrong foods on occasion but they didn't use to affect me this bad, this fast! I might gain a pound or so but now I am shooting up like 5 pounds in no time.

I am trying to decide if lap band will be effective for me or if RNY is more effective for PCOS people!! This stresses me out!! I am going to the information seminar next week and they are already pushing RNY on me. From what I hear from others they push RNY on everyone. I have a BMI 42. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Don't let anyone push you into RnY. If it's right for you, you'll decide that after doing a lot of research on all of the different weight loss surgeries - at least that's the way it SHOULD go.

Lot's of doctors really push for the RnY because they have a lot more experience with it than the band - it's been the so-called Gold Standard here in the U.S. for many years now. If someone pushes hard for RnY I would be wondering if it's because they've only don't a limited number of bands and are not yet proficient with it. I'd keep looking.

I am not sure if there would be much difference between the 2 surgeries as far as their effect on PCOS. It is not the surgery that will minimalize the effects of PCOS, as much as how the actual weight loss (by ANY means) improves the symptoms of it. I have lost pretty slowly (not sure if is due to the PCOS or Insulin Resistance....or either) but have lost at a steady rate.....so I feel that for me the PCOS is not negating the benefits of being banded. I think you need to research both surgeries and see which one you would be more comfortable considering. Your doctor should be able to help you gather some good information sources. You dont say how much you have to lose, which could also be an influence on your decision and/or approval.

I need to lose about 80-90 lbs. I am scared to death of RNY but I don't want to get discouraged with a slow loss that may result from the band with my PCOS and insulin resistance. Tell me please if you don't mind, why did the band work for you when all other diets have failed?

Rachebknox....GREAT, GREAT, GREAT question.

I also have PCOS (it has truely been the bain of my existence!) and am booked in to have Lapband surgery in July.

My gynecologist actually recomended the Lapband surgery to me and told me many of his PCOS patients have been successful losing their excess weight with the Lapband.

Because women with PCOS are insulin resistant, the fact that the lapband limits the amount of carbs you can eat is a big reason why women with PCOS are successful.

I think it was Brisbane University (here in Australia) a couple of years back which did studies on women with PCOS who have around 100lbs to lose and found the lapband surgery was the most successful type of weightloss (compared to low-fat diet, low-carb diet (without band), Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and a few other diets)....in almost 50% of cases the cysts totally disappeared.:clap2:

So there is hope for us yet!!

OK dumb question....

How does the lapband reduce the amount of carbs that you eat. It still allows you to eat carbs unless you are referring to the decreased amount of food that you are eating.

I know that RNY will not allow your body to tolerate sugar.

I wish you the best of luck with your banding. I hope all goes well.

well....in a very simplistic answer....i am not very restricticted right now but I am still unable to eat bread. it forms a "doughball" that wont go down AT ALL! it simply wont go down, so i dont eat it. same with donuts, pastries, etc... the good thing about the band is that you TRULY get full on very small amounts, and if you make those the main entree (chicken, beef, etc.) and some veggies you have no ROOM for anything else. it is almost a no brainer since it "cuts" the hungries.

For me, the weight loss has really helped with all of my symptoms. I used to have maybe 1 or 2 periods a year, now I have a 28 day cycle (and have had since about 2 or 3 months post op) My acne has cleared up, I am off my Metformin, and the hair growth has slowed down (I come from a family of hairy women, I guess this is just normal for me) And I no longer have cysts on my ovaries. Joy!!

Rachelbknox - The band *can* help one eat lower carb, because in most (not all) cases bansters cannot eat Pasta, bread, rice and un-mashed potato's.

That's right Rachel.....apparently most people cannot tolerate "starchy" carbs....which is every PCOS sufferer's WORST nightmare!

I can't wait to have my band and I wish you all the best on your decision. If you do decide to go ahead and get banded you will have lots of support (not just from the people with PCOS) but from everyone in here.

Cheers Jo