Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What didn't they tell you?

I know all the infomercials and seminars make it seem like the band is a piece of cake with little or no complications or downsides. I've done lots of research and know that's not true, it's not all roses and sunshine, but would love to hear from the experienced bandsters here.

What do you wish someone had told you BEFORE you had the band put in?

Noooooo one but here... told me that I'd be hungry until I got proper restriction. Never mentioned not once.

Everyone (doctors, nurses etc) told me I'd lose about 2 pounds per week and more the first few weeks... that was a lie!

Everyone (doctors, nurses, etc) told me I'd lose about 8 plus pounds during the pre-op diet... that was a lie too.

Other then that - everything is roses!

Well, I don't believe anyone told me this, but banding will have a profound effect on not only the person being banded, but those close to them as well.

There is so much psychological work that needs to be done, especially if one has been MO for most of their lives. We get used to being treated a certian way, being invisible, or other behavours and attitudes.

No one ever told me that there were Turtles and Rabbits. No one ever mentioned that I would only be down 25 pounds net in 16 months.

But no one also told me that my asthma would be all but gone. That instead of making sure that I had an inhaler in every room, two at my night table, one in my jacket and one in my purse and one in my jeans pocket, that I would now *think* I know where one is, but I'm not sure.

The reason I'm not sure where one is, is because I don't think I've used an inhaler more than a dozen times in nine months, instead of using a dozen in nine months.

I totally agree with Cashley... I am pre-fill ( I get one tomorrow ) and I was ABSOLUTELY not told by my doc that I would be SO friggin' hungry. I am completely not restricted and have had to really work at not eating everything I see. I do read alot of lapband support sites, so I know that I am not alone with the failure to loose these past couple of weeks, but had I not prepared myself I would have been freaking out by now.

I was also told to expect weight loss in these past few weeks ( by my doc, not this message board ) and that only happened immediately following surgery but I have gained that back.

Everything I knew and expected, I learned from places like here.

I was told "you realise there might be complications such as erosion or that you may not be able to eat meat again" and that was it.

Didnt bother me because I'd done my own research but it was pretty poor. I've learned more from my doctor since becuase I've bought up the topic.

Everyone is different. While some people didn't have restriction till they had a fill and felt like they were starving, I felt great. I had restriction from day one and ever since I made it past the first 3 days of my pre-op diet, I have never been starving. When I'm hungry I eat what I want but in a smaller portion and am satisfied. I try not to let myself get really hungry as I know it will be easier to make poor choices, eat too fast, or over eat if I'm super hungry. Everyone is different.

The thing no one told me, is that I had a choice of location for my port. I think the sternum area port is probably more comfortable because of pant waistbands. I wish I had known I had a choice, I would have asked more people here on LBT where their port was and how comfortable it was.