Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my girlfriend had the sleeve in November, and I've had it for four days. We've noticed something... she was barely able to get down a quarter cup of Greek yogurt, whereas I was able to down the entire thing.

Now I'm probably eating too fast -- from habit, I'm sure -- but honestly, there was NO discomfort. NO full feeling. I ate the entire 1/2 cup serving over the course of an hour.

So I was wondering, is this normal? I was happy that I'm able to eat "real food" and keep my body nourished, but after she said that, I started getting paranoid that I don't have "enough" restriction and won't lose weight.

I still have a LOT of restriction, mind you. Even too large of a sip of Water can give me that over-full, "stuck" feeling. I was just wondering if this much variation is normal. I'm a fairly large man (not just in gut, but in stature and build), and she's small. Maybe my sleeve just has more capacity?

I've decided to slow down and pace myself more -- she suggested that I aim to eat my meals over the course of a half an hour. I don't want to stretch my sleeve (especially not right now, but also in general). But I'm just wondering, is this amount of variation normal?

I don't know if its "normal" or not, but I notice that some days I can eat 4oz and some days only 2. I do think that individual anatomy plays into things. I am tall, 5'7'', and I presume that my sleeve is a bit longer than someone who is 5'. Just a guess. I don't think you have to worry about not loosing though. No matter what you will not be able to "over eat". Just stick to healty stuff and stop eating when you feel full or tight and you will loose.

Take care

stacey

Everyone's specific anatomy is so very different obviously, and I don't know why, but men seem to "heal" or not swell as much as most women after this surgery. At least that's what I have found with all the guys that have posted, and that I have friended over at OH.

If you're taller than her, then it leads me to believe that your sleeve is actually longer and may give you a bit more capacity than your gf. I agree with the slowing down and stretching it over 30 minutes. You find that by the 20-25 minute mark that you can't get in that same amount.

No matter what you will not be able to "over eat". Just stick to healty stuff and stop eating when you feel full or tight and you will loose.

stacey

Yeah, I figured that at the soft/slushy stage I could probably eat more. And even so, that whole portion of yogurt that I ate was 60 calories, so it's not like I'm pigging out.

I agree with the slowing down and stretching it over 30 minutes. You find that by the 20-25 minute mark that you can't get in that same amount.

Yeah, I'm going to try to slow it down just so I don't sabotage my weight loss in the future.

Do you think that maybe your surgeon knew that you would need more calories to maintain a goal weight of 220, than a female would need to maintain say 120, and that he intentionally left your sleeve a little larger so that you would not lose more than you need to lose? I noticed that you said that you were able to drink 80 oz by mid-afternoon. I'm not sure how that compares with others, but it's been 5 weeks since my surgery, and I'm still having to work to get in 64oz by bedtime.

I'm glad this question was asked. I have also been able to eat more than most of the people I have read about here. I am 6' 4", so maybe that explains it. I am losing weight, but was concerned about the same thing.

I have to say that I was one of the people who had no trouble right from the beginning eating or drinking. When I was in the hospital, I really had to force myself not to drink whatever they brought me as fast as I could. I heard about all these people who really struggled to drink. It was the same in the mushy phase. It wasn't until I moved to solids that 3 bites of food and I was totally stuffed.

So yes, everyone is different and just be glad you're not struggling. Try to slow down and follow doctors orders about how fast to eat or drink. That's what I did, even though I felt like I could go a lot faster.

I'm having a terrible time getting the Water down. Everytime I drink more than about 4 ozs, it gives me heartburn and I am NOT drinking fast. I'm drinking very slowly and just sipping very small amounts at a time. If I drink Water before bedtime I have to use Mylanta to stop the burn so I can go to sleep.

Anybody else have this?

ouroborous, I can eat more than it sounds like others can eat too. And I'm a short person. I could eat a whole container of yogurt (6 oz) at one meal, over about a 30 to 45 min. span within the 8 day mark. I'm losing a little everyday, but no major drops. I think I can be satisfied with losing a little slower than some people do especially if it means that I feel better in the process. I have to keep reminding myself that as long as I don't eat the junk, I'll lose over the long haul.

I'm having a terrible time getting the Water down. Everytime I drink more than about 4 ozs, it gives me heartburn and I am NOT drinking fast. I'm drinking very slowly and just sipping very small amounts at a time. If I drink Water before bedtime I have to use Mylanta to stop the burn so I can go to sleep.

Anybody else have this?

ouroborous, I can eat more than it sounds like others can eat too. And I'm a short person. I could eat a whole container of yogurt (6 oz) at one meal, over about a 30 to 45 min. span within the 8 day mark. I'm losing a little everyday, but no major drops. I think I can be satisfied with losing a little slower than some people do especially if it means that I feel better in the process. I have to keep reminding myself that as long as I don't eat the junk, I'll lose over the long haul.

I hear you. Even though I can eat much faster than my girlfriend, I'm still eating less than 500 calories per day. Compared to my previous 2500-3000 cals, I'm still going to be losing weight like gangbusters.

I'm following all of my doctor's rules and I'm trying to consciously slow down while eating as much as possible.

My soft foods and liquids go down very quick too. I tried some tuna salad and bam I felt restriction quick. Got that stuck feeling in the back of my throat and out of instinct I try to wash it down a bit with water--well that all came back up pretty quickly-(gross!). Went back and chopped everything a bit smaller and added more low fat mayo and then I could eat some.

My soft foods and liquids go down very quick too. I tried some tuna salad and bam I felt restriction quick. Got that stuck feeling in the back of my throat and out of instinct I try to wash it down a bit with water--well that all came back up pretty quickly-(gross!). Went back and chopped everything a bit smaller and added more low fat mayo and then I could eat some.

Good to hear that I'm not alone in my food volumes. I'll be really careful when I get into the mushy/solid phase.

Hi Swifty. Good operating tip for today. I'm supposed to get tuna with some low fat mayo so I'm glad I read your post before I attempted it. Gotta go grocery shopping for the ingredients. Did you have any crackers?

Guess I will have an episode like yours at some point - that's a real reality check, eh?

Hi Swifty. Good operating tip for today. I'm supposed to get tuna with some low fat mayo so I'm glad I read your post before I attempted it. Gotta go grocery shopping for the ingredients. Did you have any crackers?

Guess I will have an episode like yours at some point - that's a real reality check, eh?

no crackers for me, even with the added softness I only got about 2 ounces of that down. I can eat 6 ounces at least with yogurt--its weird when the food doesn't just slide through.

Starkist now makes a premade bag of tuna salad in 3 ounce packets which should be just about right. Eventually I will try to add some low carb crackers of some sort to that.

Edited by Swiftflow