Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Oz Not Enough!

Hello! I am new here. I had my surgery on 3/31/06 (about 8 weeks ago) and have lost right at 30 pounds. Now that all the swelling has gone down and everything has healed, I am hungry more than I should be. I stayed with the 2 ounces that I was supposed to eat until about 2 weeks ago, but it is not enough. I go for my first fill on 6/8. I have probably been eating 4 ounces. I eat slowly and chew, but after 2 ounces, my stomach is still growling. Any suggestions? Will the fill help? I am scared to death that I am going to stretch out the pouch or cause the band to slip.

I was banded the day before you and had my first fill last Thursday. How many calories are you eating? I am taking in the suggested 1200 calories a day and eat 4-6 ounces at a time. Check with your MD or dietician about calorie requirements and food volume.

IME, during the pre-op consultations, I was told, "Never expect to feel restriction until you start getting fills." I was lucky and had some restriction from the band itself. "Eating more than I should be" - according to whom? Is that something your surgeon is telling you?

I've had 2 fills and still eat more than 2 oz, so no worries.

My doctor told me that 2 ounces was the max capacity of the pouch. I have been feeling really bad because I thought I have been overeating. I am still losing weight, not as fast as I had hoped, but losing.

I had very little restriction before my first fill. That is actually pretty normal. You should see a big difference after the fill :)

Yeah, it takes time for your tummy to adjust to the new way of eating. I spent quite a few months eating, feeling full and having my lower tummy growling....Your tummy and body are in a state of getting used to your new way of eating...you'll get there. And I agree with others, a fill definitely helps.

Yeh, IME, until you get the fill there isn't the restriction which would allow you only to eat 2 oz. I was eating 4 -8 oz prior to my fill and then got back pretty close to pre-op (i.e. a 6" sub sandwich). After the fill I went to the 2 oz. Remember the time before the first fill is for HEALING, you're generally not expected to lose.

:) Kristin

My doctor told me that 2 ounces was the max capacity of the pouch.

My doctor said the same thing so I asked him why I could eat more than two ounces and he said that some food starts to slip through the band the second it hits the pouch, especially if the consistency is thin. He said that eating more than 2 oz. is fine as long as I'm not stuffing myself. He said that it's OK if it takes 2-4 oz. of HEALTHY food before I feell satisfied. I asked him to promise me that this is true and he said "yes" as long as I'm following the rules of good nutrition. So many rules, so little time!!

Don't worry, there are a lot of us struggling with these things too. I think you're doing great!

2oz! That's nuts. This is the first I heasrd. My doctor never told me how much to eat, but when I went in after 4 weeks and was still on liquids and had lost 36 lbs he was like continue to eat like that (under 600 calories and stay on liquids). I told him I was moving on. So I moved on to mushies for 2 more weeks and just started eating solid Proteins a week ago. Still no fill and the solids made all the difference!

Before I would have a cup of salad with 4oz of canned chicken or a cup of salad and a cup of chilli or something like that tyically. The first time I had real solid chicken I filled up so much faster with so much less and didn't eat again for another 5 hours and could have gone longer. I had a cup of salad (boston lettuce, red leaf luttuce, one egg, ranch dressing) and 40z of lemoin prepper chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breast strips). I figured it was the same serving size that I had been eating when eating the soft canned chicken breast. I was SURPRISED! I could have stopped half way thru, and been totally satisfied but I didn't because I was enjoying it so much! Now that I know this I will put less on my plate next time because by rule I do not go back for seconds, but I still feel the need to clean my plate so next time I will not put as much.

If I were you I would not have my fill until I have seen how I feel after eating 3-4oz of Protein first, then 1/2 cup of veggies, and if there is room left a 1/2 cup of a good carb source or as I do another 1/2 cup of veggies. If this fills you up then there is no need for a fill and hopefully you will start losing.

Of course check it out with your doctor but if he insist on 2 oz meals then I would see a nutrientionist. 2 oz just not does cut it.

My doctor told me to eat till I was full. He would adjust to make me full quicker. No pouch packing.Im at 2cc and 54 down. I eat out of a coffee saucer. No seconds.I do not want them.

I was told to only eat 4 ounces. I dont think I could stick to 2 ounces. My stomch would be growling to. Good luck to you.