Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much should I really expect to lose?

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting. I have just mailed in my paperwork to get any appointment with Dr. I know that I need this procedure done, (256lbs, 40 BMI, high blood pressure, diabetes) but I'm still nervous.

Can I ask you guys why you chose Lap band over other procedures? And is it true they only expect me to lose 50% of my excess weight? So therefore they would be satisfied with me weighing @200lbs? Are you really not hungry? Generally speaking, I don't need to be hungry to eat!!!!!! What happens with that?

Any help would be great.:cry

If you’re determined you can lose more than 50%. I started at 244 and am currently at 161. It has taken almost 3 years to get this far and the last 5 months it’s only been 2 lbs down per month, but I’m happy it’s not going up.

Yes I get hungry but you fill up fast, feel full and can’t eat much. You do have to make good healthy food choices. and have optimum restriction.

Lastly I think age has a lot to do with stats and how fast the weight can come off, it’s good to be realistic.

Welcome to LBT and good luck.

I chose the lap band because I just was not comfortable with the thought of re-routing my insides. I also know people who have had gastric bypass done and are now regaining the weight quickly. They lose quickly because of the malabsorbtion and the restriction of the quantity they can eat, but they have lots of problems with nutritional deficiencies, etc. That just doesn't sound healthy to me. With the band I can eat a balanced diet...just not much of it. I'm out 4 months and have lost 30 pounds and am very satisfied with that. This will take longer but I just feel it's a healthier route. I still get hungry just prior to meal times, but I can eat about a cup of food and am completely satisfied. Not stuffed to the point of discomfort, but not hungry anymore, either.

The lap band still requires us to make good choices in what we eat, and I'm struggling with that...too bad it doesn't make us allergic to chocolate!! That would make my life much simpler :confused: We also still have to deal with the head hunger vs. physical hunger issue, and that's a tough one for many of us.

The best thing you can do to educate yourself is to spend time here reading the posts and using the search feature to find answers to your particular questions and concerns. Good luck with your decision!

Emily

The statistics are averages that the band companies compile. Some surgeries promote weight loss through something called malabsorption syndrome. This is not the case with the band so weight loss is typically 1-2 pounds a week once you get past the first few post-op weeks. Make sure you explore all the surgeries available to you and ask your MD lots of questions.

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting. I have just mailed in my paperwork to get any appointment with Dr. I know that I need this procedure done, (256lbs, 40 BMI, high blood pressure, diabetes) but I'm still nervous.

Can I ask you guys why you chose Lap band over other procedures? And is it true they only expect me to lose 50% of my excess weight? So therefore they would be satisfied with me weighing @200lbs? Are you really not hungry? Generally speaking, I don't need to be hungry to eat!!!!!! What happens with that?

Any help would be great.:cry

Hi Geralyng,

I don't do statistics very well because I believe everyone and situation is different. Statistics pull into account, band removals, complications and failed banded patients as well.

You can expect to reach whatever goal you have and the reality of it is whatever you make it to be.

I will hit goal, with or without the band, so far I've lost 45lbs this morning and it's 7 weeks post op. I won't say it's all the band, but a majority of it is following the rules and exercising daily. I can be 100% successful in reaching my goal weight because I am putting my mind to it.

Hi,

The best advise I can give is to research, research, research!!!! this board is GREAT for research on the band. But you need to reaserch the RNY somewear else. I will tell you the band has much less risk, but you don't want to do any proceadure that is not going to work. I have learned everything I needed to know to make an informed desision on what WLS I should have. I was not a snacker, I would usually go all day with maybe one meal then at night I would gorge myself. So the band was the right choice for me. I also don't do sweets, chocolate is gross to me. (I know how many people don't like choclate, but I don't. Neither does my daughter) So I knew I would not have to worry about that aspect of the band. As far as what is right for you, That is something YOU have to decide! No one know what you eat in the kitchen when no ones around. You know what your weakness is and if you can do it without snacking. Good luck on your decision

I got the band because a) I was scared of the more invasive procedures and possible side effects and :) I need to be held accountable for what I do. If I lost 100lbs with the RNY eating crap, I wouldn't have learned anything, and would probably one of the ones that gained back my weight. With the band, I have to work hard to lose, but I don't have to work hard to maintain. To me that is golden, because if I get stuck, or I am at a stressful time in my life, I can put weight loss on the back burner, and pick up right where I left off, instead of back up at my highest weight, or higher.

I believe that is no reason in the world you can't lose all the weight you want if: You follow a healthy diet, excersise and drink all the suggested Water.

The question should be .... How long do you want to take to lose the weight. This is a slow and steady process.

Good luck!

Well, actually DOC, I can think of a few reasons why, even if you follow every rule and guideline, you still won't lose weight.

I interpret that statistic to mean if you get the band, you are average about sticking to the rules, you dont exercise more than a token walk every now and again, and when your weightloss run stops - ie. when it stops becoming pretty easy to lose, you dont do anything further to get it going again other than get more fills rather than working harder, exercising more, you'll probably lose about 50% of your excess weight.

IF on the other hand you stick to the rules, remain positive, develop a really good exercise routine, enjoy the easy ride while it lasts and then get cracking doing all the same things you would have done preband to lose weight - keep your calorie levels and whatever else you're counting at the right levels - then you'll lose as much as you want to lose, just the same as you would have preband.

i think loosing 50% is the average. I've lost 50% and now i'm starting to struggle.

However, i feel the band has done most of its job, i'm not gaining weight, and i've gotten off enough weight that now, if i'd just get my ass to the gym more often, i can exercise without feeling like i'm going to die after 5 min. I'm only 9.5 months out of surgery, so i'm pretty proud! I may try getting another adjustment, but i think i'm good on the tightness, i just need to exercise.

Thank you all for your posts. It is very helpful. When reading everyones different idea's and comments I can definitely relate to parts of each and everyone. I love the honest and willingness to share.

It is great to know that the support is here. I hope to be an active memeber soon..........geralyn