Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else worried about sleeve stretch?

Hello All,

I had a lap band revision to VSG on Oct 14 2009. As of today I'm down 76lbs. I just was wondering if anyone else has had experiences where you have "fallen" off the wagon so to speak. ie. had sugar and carbs and ever felt like someone was shoving a hot poker from your stomach back up your throat? I am concerened because I keep reading that if you do "fall off the wagon" you can strech your pouch. It also says you're only supposed to eat 2oz at a time. This concerns me greatly as I know I can eat at least 4oz. Anyone else experiencing these things? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Kasey

I've had my sleeve a year now and I don't think it has stretched much. Post surgery, of course, I could only eat a few bites. Now I can eat a chicken thigh, or one piece of pizza, or one taco. I don't feel that I can eat too much at all.

The 2oz is only for a couple of months while on the post op diet.

There were some people on obestiyhelp.com who did a test with cottage cheese to see how much they could hold, and some of them were 2 years post op. Most of them could only eat 4 oz at the most. I can't do that test cause I hate cottage cheese!

Hey Kasey, I'm a revision from band to sleeve as well. We don't have a pouch. We have a stomach just like before our band surgeries, it's just smaller. The portion of the stomach that remains is very muscular and there is very minimal stretching. Now, that doesn't mean that as the months pass during the first year, that you will have the same restriction you had at 2 months out. I'm 11 months out and have been able to eat about the same amounts for the last 4-5 months. I talked to my nut a couple of weeks ago about maintenance issues. She told me that my stomach was probably at maximum capacity, and the quantities that I'm consuming per meal is probably going to be the max I'll be able to consume for several years if not for the rest of my life. I have found a few ways to at more. I can drink warm liquids, and fit in more. I can stretch out my meals over 45-60 minutes and fit in much more food per meal. When I keep my meals to no more than 20-30 minutes, I can not consume as much.

I can eat a lot more carbs/mushy stuff than I can dense Protein. The only time I had to adhere to the 2oz rule was early out during the healing period, and all of the post-op swelling.

You're far enough out now that it's more difficult to make better choices. I've had a pretty rough week, and I've made some pretty craptastic choices, but it isn't hard to get back on track. Go back to the basics. Protein first, get off the carbs, and stick with healthy protein, veggies/fruits/whole grains. Track your food intake, and make sure you are getting in your Water.

It's perfectly normal for you to be able to eat more now than you could at 2 months out. In 2-4 more months, you may or may not be able to eat an ounce or two more. If you make the best choice, being protein first, you should not have a bunch of room for carb or not so great choices. I know that's sometimes easier said than done. Don't be too alarmed that you can eat more now unless you're consuming a lot of carby stuff that is going to stall out your weight loss. I can fit in 6-8oz of mushy foods such as an entire cup of chili, or creamy broccoli cheese Soup with chunky broccoli. But, give me steak and I can only get in about 4oz with a couple bites of green Beans or salad.

I can consume 3-5oz of dense protein depending on the cut and type of meat, and a few bites of veggies be it green Beans, broccoli, peas mashed potatoes, and sometimes I'll eat Pasta or rice.

I don't think 4oz of food at 6 months is unreasonable at all.

Hang in there and if you need anything let us know.

Hello All,

I had a lap band revision to VSG on Oct 14 2009. As of today I'm down 76lbs. I just was wondering if anyone else has had experiences where you have "fallen" off the wagon so to speak. ie. had sugar and carbs and ever felt like someone was shoving a hot poker from your stomach back up your throat? I am concerened because I keep reading that if you do "fall off the wagon" you can strech your pouch. It also says you're only supposed to eat 2oz at a time. This concerns me greatly as I know I can eat at least 4oz. Anyone else experiencing these things? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Kasey

Hey :) So I know this was posted awhile ago but I was searching the boards to see the number of oz other people were eating at this stage (i'm 7 months out). I know for sure that the 2oz is really only while you are healing, which can take up to 6 months. Right around my 5 month mark I noticed I could suddenly eat quite a bit more and I panicked for a little while until I remember that what I was eating the first few months was tiny because my stomach was still healing. Once I remembered that my capacity was supposed to go up I felt much better :)

Right now I can eat between 2.5 and 3 oz if it is dense Protein. I only weigh my Proteins and only once in awhile to make sure i'm still on track so I can't tell you much more than that. I don't eat carbs on a regular basis, but I won't refuse them either. For instance I had a piece of birthday cookie cake on monday for my grandmother's birthday. During regular meals I cannot get in any veggies (let alone carbs) unless I spread my meal out over an hour or so, which I don't like to do. I do know that certain foods, especially popcorn, are "sliders" for me and I could eat a lot of eat. Luckily I haven't had problems with stopping when I know i've had enough.

So at your point I think it is perfectly fine that you are eating 4 oz. Just make sure its 4oz of the good stuff most of the time :) I've read on here before how some people can eat half a sandwich or kids meal. I can't do that, but it certainly seems possible.

I have had sugar, I have had carbs, I am not going to die from it. I am not, have never been and dont obsess about my sleeve stretching. I am physically not able to eat more than 8- 1o bites of food at a time- I know this and if I attempt to I will vomit and feel miserable. Knowing this I know my limits and what I should, shouldnt have and what is worth it if i do over indulge.

I enjoy eating whatever I want and have learned that moderation is best and those 8- 10 bites that I can get in 3-4 x a day are going to be the best I can get- I'm not going to wast them on stupid things like chips, Cookies etc... things that I have no plan on returing to in my life EVER...

I have since become a vegetarian dnd don't eat the "meat' Protein some other physicians are throwing down everyone's throats as being normal. I get my fill from fruits, veggies, greens, legumes etc. and feel wonderful. I dont feel deprived or that I have ever over eaten.

Although the possibility of "sleeve stretching" is real because the stomach is a muscle- Unless a person is into utter personal sabotage and willing to go through hell to get there I cannot imagine it being done on purpose... you make a mistake you get up dust off your britches and get back on the horse and ride again.. hard lesson to learn but it has to be learned...

Hello All' date='

Kasey[/quote']

I think about it all the time