Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise question

How much do you exercise and still see results/ScaleVictories?

I am working out BIG TIME and the big 4 pounds I lost, I found 3 of them.

Yep, they were hiding. On my backside obviously.

Tonight I did 3 miles on the treadmill at 3.5 rpm's. Then did 4 weight machines for upper body resistance.

Tomorrow I plan on doing at least 30 mins of a spin class, then wrap it up with a mile or two on the treadmill.

I am going to do weight machines every other day.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments?

-Melanie

I dont think exercise really results in short term scale victories. I run substantial distances and it doesnt for me.

What exercise does is regulate your appetite, build muscle in your body, increase your body's efficience at burning fat for fuel, raise your metabolic rate for hours afterwards (if you're willing to truly put in, not just walk round the block), tone you up, give you affirmation time to think about your weight loss goals, give you other areas of achievement to focus on and most importantly it makes it much much harder to regain weight.

Everybody is always very quick to say "oh its muscle" when they gain a little weight too - but even professional body builders find it takes quite a while (like months) to put on a very small amount of weight in muscle, you dont start a walking program and suddenly gain 3lb of muscle in a week or two, sorry to say. It'd be nice.

its such a worthwhile activity but ever so much more rewarding when you undertake it for reasons other than to just see weight come off, because it tends to be quite disappointing in that regard. Unless you do huge amounts.

Wow! What Jachut said!

Working out, i.e., biking, running/walking/jogging and other home exercises has now become a major part of my DAILY routine that I no longer look at it as an obligation, task or burden. I just don't feel right if I don't do something that gets me sweating buckets. If I eat something with 200 calories, I know in my mind that I need to ensure I burn 200 calories+. Since I know my body burns calories without my asking it to, putting in hours into my workout is a bonus.

I am drinking at least 1 shake per day and having yogurt for lunch or tuna, chicken salad and then for dinner either a shake or a real nice 3 course dinner, depending on my hunger. I am putting in about 5 - 6 meals per day, I consider a snack a meal (light dannon yogurt drinks).

Working out - well there was a week where I worked out religously and drank my shakes (was still on liquids at the time) and I didn't lose anything. I wasn't sure if it was the chicken broth but I do know that the broth contained 800mg of sodium and I was drinking about 64fl oz to 1 gallon of Water and my body was just holding onto something, I don't know what but too much sodium is not good so you may want to check your sodium intake. I know that 1 gallon of Water = 8lbs and if no exertion occurs, my body will go into "camel" mode.

Since I know the rules fairly well as far as eating with the band, the weight loss is consistent.

So exercise is not so important with weight loss, just maintaining and over all good health?

I am following the band rules pretty strictly.

When I eat, I make it count! Protein Protein Protein - but I think I am still screwing it all up as I saw a significant loss, then in a day it was back on, and I had not changed my eating habits.

This is making me crazy. Why did I do this again?

Exercise is very important to your health MelAnne. I don't know why you wouldn't think it wasn't. I believe you know this.

You need to exert.

I was once told that if you are exersizing, you need to look at how your body is doing in three month cycles, because it can take up to 6 weeks to even see a difference. Exersize is essential for weight loss... but it's only part of the equation.

Also, if you are weighing every day, you are bound to see lots of fluctuations, and that 3 lbs could very well be gone again tomorrow.

I weigh myself more than once a week, but only one of those days "counts". I can weigh all I want, but the weight I am on Sunday, is my weight for the week.

Thanks Marimaru!

That makes a good deal of sense, that it takes time for exercise to impact your weight loss goals, and thus see the difference.

Tellymelly -

I am exerting myself. I think an hour long spin class one day, 3 miles on a treadmill kicking your heart rate way up, and then working out on weights for resistance can seriously be considered exerting one's self.

I also am aware that much like dieting, you can hit a platue with exercise as well. That is why it is important to change up as well as continue to challenge and push yourself.

I am not stupid, just struggeling very hard and frustrated with the failure.

-Melanie

I am not stupid, just struggeling very hard and frustrated with the failure.

Melanie!!! I don't see failure... I see someone working hard!

I am not concentrating on the scale right now since I am working out more now. My clothes are sure getting looser though! I am on week 4 of my gym membership and started to reep the Non scale benefits already!

HANG IN THERE!!!!:)

So exercise is not so important with weight loss, just maintaining and over all good health?

I am following the band rules pretty strictly.

When I eat, I make it count! Protein Protein Protein - but I think I am still screwing it all up as I saw a significant loss, then in a day it was back on, and I had not changed my eating habits.

This is making me crazy. Why did I do this again?

ok good point

Exercise is also a mood elevator (recommend aerobic exercise for my depressed patients) and it has SO MANY cardiovascular benefits....don't give up MelAnne....you are kicking my butt!! I walk 2.5mi/day....but that's from completely nothing beyond housewalking!!! :) Hang in there....the scale will eventually catch up if you are sincerely trying!!!! I just KNOW it!

God Bless,

MElody

Banded 3/20/06 -48lbs ;)

Melanie!!! I don't see failure... I see someone working hard!

I am not concentrating on the scale right now since I am working out more now. My clothes are sure getting looser though! I am on week 4 of my gym membership and started to reep the Non scale benefits already!

HANG IN THERE!!!!:)

Thanks HeatherGurl - I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Going to the gym tonight. Hopefully I will see the effects of the gym in a couple more weeks.

Thanks again!

-Melanie

I didnt mean it wasnt important, just that when it comes to weight loss, what you eat is 80% of it.

People who exercise while dieting will lose more, lose a little faster and do better overall. But you dont start doing spin classes and going to the gym and suddenly drop 20lb in a few weeks. And if you start exercising heavily without watching what you eat you wont lose more than a pound or two either.

You're doing great MelAnne - what I meant was dont focus on the exercise solely as a means of weight loss, theres a zillion important reasons to be doing it and its making your body into a lean mean fat burning machine over time, that's its primary function. You'll see and feel the reward for that lots further down the track, not on the scales within a week or two.