Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess it really is going to happen!

Well, I have a date! May 11. I may not be recognized here because basically I'm a lurker. I lap up all the information put on here by others and feel like it has helped a lot.

I am having the VSG by Dr. Davidson in Dallas,Tx and my insurance actually approved it! I started attending the 6 months of nutrition classes last November upon hearing the insurance would cover bariatric surgeries at the start of 2010.

Well, I just assumed something would go wrong, and that it was far enough in the future, so during the course of nutrition classes ( 6 months) I gained 20 pounds :thumbup1: Well I was totally embarrassed, and yesterday they called me with my date and approval. The nutritionist said the doctor "will not be pleased." So suddenly, my surgery is in 12 days my 2 week preop diet starts! I have a stressful job, and when I get hungry I really get cranky and that's at customers too! Let alone the other employees.

I am worried about the hunger induced crankyness / meanness. My preop is week one 2 Meal Replacement shakes and one meal, and 2nd week all shakes and liquids.

I am also quite a worrier of actual surgery. I have never been put under anesthisia. I care for my sister, 20 coming home from college the weekend before surgery, father is non existlent, and my mother died during heart surgery almost 6 years ago(when I took my sister in). Me and my sister is what is left, though I have and aunt, uncle, and grandfather and a scattering of good friends, somehow, its just a situation in which you want your parents which I now really realize how much I miss and want. Just adds to all the vulnerable emotional distress I am in. Just crazy this all is. And it is so fast!

Sorry its so long, sometimes it helps to put feelings into words.

Forgot to add I have rheumatoid arthritis, so having to stop some meds beforehand which will also make me stiff in the joints and painful!

I am very happy to hear you will be getting this surgery! It will be a huge blessing to you!

Good for you for bonding with your sister. While my parents are still alive, they are not your typical supportive parents and it crushes me that my children basically have no grandparents to spoil them. I have a 6 month old granddaughter and am already planning her first trip to Disneyland, etc! My sister, brother and I are very close and talk almost every day. We only have each other. When one of us needs something, the other two are there to help. I am sure you sister is very grateful to have your support.

I am sorry to hear about your mother passing away during surgery. I am sure that has a huge affect on you now. Being sedated is always a bit scary and that is normal. Some of my 9 surgeries have been more elective than required, and I often think I am being very selfish when it comes to not waking up and leaving my children.

However, keep in mind that doctors do this every day. Over 145,000 surgery are performed every day. From what I have read, the risk of death is less than 1%. And the condition of the patient going into surgery has a huge impact on that, so probably even less for a medically stable person.

The anesthesiologist only puts you out as far as needed and will monitor you very closely. You will fall asleep very quickly. The other good thing about anesthesia is that it has a great amnesia effect, meaning you will also not remember anything from surgery or for the first portion of recovery.

You will be well taken care of. The doctors will do everything they can for a safe surgery; they don't want to lose you any more than you want to pass.

If you are very nervous before surgery, ask for a relaxant med. They can usually give you something in tablet form or valium in your iv. It will really help!

Edited by pnw218

Thanks. I know it will be fine, but thats what an irrational fear is all about! But anyway doctors office just called to say since I took some prednisone a week ago for an ear infection, I must be rescheduled for six weeks out. Plus to come off some other medications. So now it is June 15th. Man. Scared, then Happy, then defeated all within 48 hours. Oh well.

That would drive me nuts!! June seems forever away but since Saturday is May 1st, I guess not!

Think positive. Now you have a little more time to get organized before the big day : )

Ya know, I took 5 days of prednisone and never even thought about adding it to my history! I had to complete an updated med list the day of surgery .... but totally forgot about that! It was 3 weeks before my surgery and after I had already submitted my original medical history. oops!! If I had gotten sick, I couldn't have blamed that on anyone except myself! Now I wonder why the prednisone is an issue or if it matters how long you take it .... I also had a lower lumbar steroid injection about 10 days after surgery. hmmmmm?

I know! It will give me time to do many things, first and foremost, lose those 20 pounds! I think it is because prednisone increases your risk for infection, had I known I wouldn't have taken it! But it wasnt just that there are other medicines I would have had to quit 2 and 3 weeks before also. It will be okay so I can also start saving up some money for my copay! Dang, if they had only told me before I told everyone I know!