Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery - 1 week away

I am looking for some advice from those that have come before me,

What was you MUST HAVES at the hospital or home?

How soon do you start taking Gas-ex? and How often??

When you sip, are you using a straw??

Anything else you want to share with me would be GREAT!!!

Must haves: heating pad (my temperature fluctuated alot), a blankie (fav that I travel with), slippers with rubber soles, very comfy clothes (maybe a tank top under tshirts, bras aren't real comfy do to high incision), ear plugs (I always sleep with them)

GasX: another must have!! I loved the cinnamon flavor. Started having them soon after surgery. For the first 24 hours when you can't have any ice chips or Water, they were a wonderful treat! And may have helped with the gas too! lol

I have used a straw and haven't noticed any issues.

If you are flying, splurge if possible for a first class seat coming home. The extra cushion and space is wonderful!

Don't buy too much food ahead of time because your tastes may change alot after surgery.

check out this food guideline. It is more liberal that others and worked great for me! http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Good Luck! You will be one happy sleever! :thumbup1:

I am looking for some advice from those that have come before me,

What was you MUST HAVES at the hospital or home?

How soon do you start taking Gas-ex? and How often??

When you sip, are you using a straw??

Anything else you want to share with me would be GREAT!!!

A TOTAL must is chap stick! Your lips are so going to dry out. . and bring something to do, books, or puzzle books, definately your laptop so you can tell us all about it, cause inquiring minds want to know! :biggrin0: Another very very important thing is walk, walk, walk. . . always walk it'll help with that gas pain. . i didn't use Gas-X cause i walked A LOT! SIP SIP SIP I didn't use a straw but then wasn't given one, i do now and i like it. . depends on your doctor. . . bring your own Shampoo and stuff cause you get feeling pretty yukky after a while and hospital shampoo is nasty. . :lol0: for at home, have a good supply of sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, broth (I used Swanson's chicken broth, very yummy) and later on you can get Protein powders (I used Bariatric Advantage vanilla and chocolate powder.) but don't buy your Protein powders now cause your tastes changes for some odd ball reason, so just wait before you spend your money. . . good luck and know that we are here for you!:thumbup1:

Thanks for the advise. Luckily I will only be at the hospital over night. So I think I will be able to just wait and shower at home. :thumbup1: Plan on having lots of chap stick, if my kids will keep from steeling the one I buy.

Chapstick of some sort

A front closing/snap loose support sports bra (I got a cheap one at wal-mart for like7bucks totally worth it)

I wore flip flops bc it was June

I took my own lotion, and I took my make up because I refuse to look horrible even with major surgery recovery. It makes me feel better.

I was putting on make-up in ICU, seriously. I can't go without my mascara. But, that's just me.

I bought travel size bottles of Pantene bc hospital soap/shampoo all suck.

I took my Iphone charger.

I couldn't use a straw early out. But others had no problem.

Sip, walk, rest and repeat as often as possible. Sipping and walking are the top priorities. Rest bc our bodies need to recover. Stick to your prescribed post-op diet guidelines.

I stocked up on sf Jello and popsicles, Decaf herbal tea by Celestial Seasons, and those chicken broth cubes. I could control the level of taste with the cubes.

Let people help you. Don't overdo even when you think you feel good, I paid for that thought process the next day.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.