Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a bat bit my daughter

well, i need some opinions...

today when i picked up dd from daycare, we went through the normal conversation. when we got about half way home, she told me that a little black bird bit her on her thumb, and she showed me her little cuticle that was split. i tried not to make a big deal out of it, as she tends to have a pretty vivid imagination. i tried to make conversation that would lead to her telling me more. i cant ask her...did the bird have teeth...because she would automatically say yes. she is just like that. so, i asked her if it looked like our pet parakeet...she said it had ears and red eyes. then she said it "scooted" away. she said she picked it up and it bit her, she dropped it, but it did not fly away, it scooted away.

i am really concerned that this may have been a bat...and all that implies--rabies, etc.

i called the daycare, and they did not know anything about it, and i am going in early and we are going to shakedown for the derned thing. but should i go ahead and make a doctor appointment for the treatment? i read on the cdc website that if i wait until symptoms appear, it is 100% fatal in someone who has not had the vaccine.

does anyone have any suggestions for getting more info from dd(who is 4)?

i pulled pics of small black birds and bats and lined them up. she did not pic the bats that were flying or hanging, rather she picked the one of the bat that was standing upright. i included some pics of sparrows and other small dark colored birds that i see around here.

any advice?

Boy, that is a tough one! I think I would have a long talk with the doctor, it's really hard at that age to know. One thing, did it break the skin? You are definately in my thoughts. Good Luck and please let us know.

yeah, call your doc. if it broke the skin you do not want to take any chances. and if it walked away it could be that it cannot fly. call the daycare and let them know that there is a bat on the grounds. if they can catch it they can test it for rabies and determine if she needs the shots. but i really think you need to call your doc quickly.

i certainly will, i am definitely going to talk to the doc and let the doc talk to her. i will let everyone know as soon as possible.

Call your pediatrician. I would.

I see as I was forming my incredibly helpful post that other people gave the same or better advise!

Keep us informed as we will definitely be thinking about, and praying for you and yours.

I dont think the rabies shots are the 16 shots in the stomach anymore. I think its just one in the tushy. But definatly, call ped Dr

I know you have heard on the news of the rabid bats in Houston... Willis being so close to Houston, I would go call the Dr. right now and maybe even go to the ER... If you haven't heard there are at least 2 positive cases in the last month. Safe over sorry.... Call a DR.

ABSOLUTELY TAKE YOUR DAUGHTER TO THE DOCTOR PRONTO.

Once you start exhibiting symptoms it is TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!

I have personally taken care of a patient that died from rabies and had to have the series of rabies shot myself. They are not nearly as bad as they used to be.

IT IS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

Here is a link to Texas Childrens Hospital that give info on rabies.

http://www.texaschildrenshospital.org/Parents/TipsArticles/ArticleDisplay.aspx?aid=1581

Texas is having a rabies epidemic.

Myra

Oh mini, this must be terrifying for you as a mother. You are on top of things for sure. Keep going. Don't let the daycare tell you they don't know anything about it. Get the owners involved ASAP. An employee may just be trying to protect the business...or even an owner at that. Your little girl is just too precious to put that stuff over her well being.

I would not wait till tomorrow b4 calling her doc. Call the night line and have the doc on call paged. At least they can give you solid direction. Perhaps you do need a trip to the ER just to be safe.

I will pray for both of you. Please keep us updated!!!

Take her to the ER NOW! (I'm not yelling but very loudly suggesting!)

Bats are nocturnal (Only out at night) and to see one on the ground during daytime has all alarmbells going off at the same time.

Please, please don't wait until tomorrow. And please keep us up to date.

OK, my concerned friends...

called the doc, and he has ordered the meds. he is going to call us back if he is able to get ahold of the treatment tonite. otherwise, he said it will likely be in the morning. my hubby has taken tomorrow off of work and he is going to the daycare at the butt crack of dawn, and he is going to shakedown the area(and since he used to work in a prison, and was especially good at searching for "stuff", i am hopeful that he will find something, if there is something to find) i did not press the daycare girl too much, as she is a young girl that just helps out during the pick up time. she was locking up and everyone was gone. i wish i would have had the presence of mind to ask for the owner/director's phone number at home. well, the doc said we are going to start the vaccinations tomorrow as a precaution. we must determine if there is a rabid bat at the daycare in order to determine whether there was more than one exposure.

i hate that my baby is going to have get those shots, she will surely be traumatized. but i just cannot stomach the thought of taking a chance with her life. and myra, i have noticed the news reports about the rabies cases in Houston. those reports are the reason why i thought of a bat. i likely would have dismissed her as having a vivid imagination if not for those reports. and harley girl, i entertained the idea that this may be a baby bird, but she told us that it had a mouth, and not a beak.(we were comparing to our parakeet, she also later said that the bird had ears...i asked her "like herman's ears?" herman is the parakeet...she said no, silly, herman doesnt have ears.

so i guess everyone sees my concern. the doc said if we are going to err, it is going to be on the side of caution.

he has the meds at our local er. he said that if the daycare cannot explain this with 100% certainty, we are going with the shot. he told me to go straight from the daycare to the er.

EVERYONE...thanks for the support.

Oh good, I'm glad she's getting treatment, but I do hate that she has to endure it. Bless her little heart. When you looked up bats on the net, did you also look up what their poops looks like? Maybe that's something you DH can be watching for tomorrow. Sounds like he is the best person to have a go at it. Hold your baby close and we will keep praying!! :confused: