Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing/Stall/Gaining

After surgery did you find yourself losing faster exercising/walking than not doing anything at all in the beginning? or have you continued your regime and the weight stalled and/or you gained?

Krys

i started losing more as soon as i started doing exercise, started going to the gym and i love it!!! :thumbup: i totally recommend it!!!

I'm not the norm, but I didn't exercise for the first 4ish months with the exception of some moderate walking. I never had a stall when I was low carbing it. I had a stall once I got close to goal. It lasted 10 days, then I dropped a few pounds to get me to goal. I did notice when I got real serious about exercise, and lifting weights, that my body definitely lost inches. My weight loss slowed down considerably over the last 4 months, but I've been at goal since Decemeber. It's taken 4 months to lose another 27 pounds, and honestly I haven't been trying to lose.

I've had a heck of a time maintaining so like I said, I'm just not the norm on this sleeve journey. I honestly think a lot of my early on success can be contributed to me being compliant. 60 grams of Protein, no more than 30grams of carbs, and 60oz of water/clear liquids for the first 4 months. I also had a lot to lose so that changes things. The more we have to lose it seems we lose it faster.

I enjoy working out, but I have to be really motivated at this point. I've also had to change my regimen to focus on toning and not burning since I don't want to lose anymore weight.

I started exercising 5 days after my surgery so I don't kno how my body would have reacted if I didn't exercise. But I haven't hit a stall as of yet and I'm hoping I won't, at least not until I'm really really close to goal, which is right around the corner it seems:001_wub: But I do know my body really needs to exercise to lose based on past attempts of eating good and no exercise= maintaining the same weight.

:tongue2:

I started exercising 5 days after my surgery so I don't kno how my body would have reacted if I didn't exercise. But I haven't hit a stall as of yet and I'm hoping I won't, at least not until I'm really really close to goal, which is right around the corner it seems:001_wub: But I do know my body really needs to exercise to lose based on past attempts of eating good and no exercise= maintaining the same weight.

I've never had much luck with exercise helping me lose weight. What it DOES do, however, is help everything else!

I feel better, sleep better, have a better mood. I lose inches and gain muscle. I look better, my clothes fit better, I'm healthier, I get sick less.

So while I will probably lose more weight due to the VSG itself, I can't imagine doing this without exercise. Why on earth would I want to go from a fat, doughy, flabby body to a skinny, doughy, flabby body? Lean and trim, all the way!

I pretty much exercised regularly since having the vsg. Started walking everyday from surgery and built up to about 3 miles before I started Jazzercise and tap class at a month post-op.

I had short little stalls here and there, but I also wasn't as compliant with the post-op diet as others. I low-carbed (around 30 grams or less) it for 3 months, but did not always get my Protein in.

At around 3 months I was over half way to my goal and decided to try and lose the rest the way I wanted to maintain. For me this included exercising 5-7 days per week and not tracking carbs. (I felt that I would burn them off with the exercise:-) I did notice that the couple of weeks I couldn't exercise as regularly (due to snow, illness, etc.) I seemed to have bigger losses than those weeks with lots of exercise. Don't know why this was...could have just been a change up to my routine that allowed me to drop fast.

So I guess what I'm saying with all this rambling is that I don't think exercise was crucial for weight with the vsg, but I do think it was important for allowing me to lose it the way I wanted to (carbs and all).

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I am at a stall now:mad0:. I was 289 at surgery and now I am 250 :thumbup:. its been 8 weeks now. I try very hard to measure and count foods. I am doing exercise atleast 5-6 days a week. i try to get a hour swim in atleast once a week. I have a problem with eating cheetos. (the small bag ) I only eat one bag but I feel so guilty. I have been wanting them more everyday. but I get my Protein easily. lots of chicken and fish, turkey. eggs and cheese. I eat about 800-1200 daily. I burn cal too . what can I do to get moving again? I love the new sleeve that I have. i will loose weight because I cannot eat alot of food anymore:001_smile:. My sleeve won't allow it.:thumbup1: i need tips ....:001_tt2: