Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So long to wait.....

Well I am just at the beginning of a very long process. I just started my first appointment on March 3. I have my second PCP appointment next week. I have already seen a nutritionist and psychologist. And can go back whenever I want. I have tons of info from the nut. with info for before and after surgery. I still have to see a cardiologist closer time and a pulmonary Dr.

I have been over weight for so many years and have finally decided that I needed to do something about it before I ended up with major health issues. I have a hundred pounds I need to lose. And a BMI of 40 to start. I started off thing that I would have the band but wasn't to happy about everything I have read. And I know someone that has not lost weight with it. Then I considered gastric bypass because there are 3 or 4 people that I know that have had it done in the last 2 years. But then my endocrinologist suggested the sleeve. After much research and talking to the surgeon I think this will be the right choice for me.

I have months to go and if I am lucky surgery will be in August at the latest September, GOT TO LOVE INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS!!!

But it is so nice to see so much information on here. I think that having to wait this long can make you nervous. I am thinking a may go to a support group meeting next week, they have them once a month, to hear what others have to say. I am hoping that I an make a few before the surgery job hard when you have kids and a hubby who works all night shift.

But thank you all for sharing your information it is so helpful for so many.

Stacy

Edited by hockey66

Welcome Hockey!

I too am waiting for surgery. I just finished my 6 month supervised diet and I am waiting on insurance approval.

Don't worry... consider this time - preperation.

Good luck to you and I will be following your progress.

Welcome aboard...sounds like you are getting everything in order.

When I made the decision to do this these boards were like a gift!

Just read up as much as you can to be as prepared as possible.

Please keep us updated!

I have a date set but I am still waiting on insurance approval but the Doctor said I should have no issue and insurance should approve me. Every time I though I was done with a requirement I had something else to do. I had to meet with my PCP 3 months in a row to go over diets, see a nutritionist and psychologist, have a pap smear and a mammogram, have blood tests, my eye dilated and will have to meet with the nutritionist and psychologist once more before surgery have a chest Xray, and a EKG done. Ever time I think I am done I have to do something else. So I wish you luck with everything it will all be worth it in the end.

It will seem like a very long wait to get to your surgery, but you really do need this time to get into a new habit of eating healthy and trying to lose weight on your own. I had to wait almost a year and had to attend weight loss group classes each week and weigh in, and honestly without all that I can't imagine being mentally prepared for surgery.

Thankfully I was successful with the diet stage before surgery, so transitioning to eating after surgery was easy. But for those who jump right into it, they must have a huge adjustment that they're not ready for. Be thankful that you have the time and change your eating habits now. Good luck on your journey!

Hi Stacy. I started my 6 month requirements in December and I'm almost done. I'll be finished in early May. It seems like just yesterday that I first signed on here and started reading about people's experiences with the sleeve. I was hooked to the idea right away. I too had planned to get a band. I'm so glad I "discovered" the sleeve.

I think by the end of your insurance requirements you'll be glad you had the extra time to prepare yourself. I haven't started a pre-op diet through my surgeon yet, but I've already started integrating low carb eating into my diet. I'm also becoming more conscious of how I eat the closer it gets to surgery. I know that I've got to prepare myself for the drastic changes that will come post-op. I went through a phase of eating any and everything in sight a few weeks ago, but I think I'm over that now. I'm ready to get on with my new life.

Welcome to the forum and keep us up to date on your progress toward surgery.