Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the vomiting just STOP?

Hi all: I had my lap band surgery March 6, 2006. I have lost 50 lbs so far and I look and feel great. My only problem is I am constatntly re-learning how much and what type of foods to avoid in order not to vomit up after a meal. When will I finally figure out this formula...eat slow...avoid certain foods....eat even slower.....When will I finally get up from a table and not run to a bathroom to puke?

I would like to hear from post ops who had a similiar problem and let me know when they stopped puking for good.

thanks all

Saul

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear it's been so tough on you. Honestly, puking is not the 'norm' for being banded. While it is always a possibility due to being stuck from chewing too fast, taking too big of bites, drinking while eating and causing backwash, this really should not be happening on a regular basis.

I really hope you get it resolved soon as it is a danger to your band (slippage) and your esophagus. Good luck!

Have you had any adjustments with your band yet? If you have, you may be too tight, PBing often is a sign of that. Other than that, you really just need to figure out what you can't eat, and how slow you have to eat the things that you can.

I'm not sure it "just stops", but I'm almost 2 years out and the PB's are few and far between (and more often than not, because I was being stupid).

Hope you feel better soon. Congrats on your great loss!

It never just stops until you learn and relearn and relearn again. Some people are just faster learners than others. Me- I'm almost three years out and I still make a mistake or think I can get away with more than I can once and awhile.

Megan

You need to increase your learning curve. As Megan said it just takes learning what you can and can't tolerate and moving past what you can't. That is the only way if you are not overfilled to get past the PBing (productive burping) that sends you running to spit up what can't make it down. If you are actually vomiting you are at a high risk for band slippage and need to see your doctor right away.

Good Luck , April

Does your MD know you're tossing your meals? If not, I would contact him/her and make sure there's no problems with the band itself. Vomiting causing esophageal inflammation and scarring so please check with your MD.

Wow,

I was a little jealous of your 50 pound loss until I found out why you've lost so much! I was banded on March 7th and have now lost 31 pounds with only one vomitting incident. One was enough! I can't imagine doing it every day. I'd be worried about losing my band to slippage or damaging my esophagus.

I agree with the others, sounds like you need an unfill and maybe to determine if you're trying to eat too much. Or maybe too quickly?

Good luck. Let us know how you're doing.

Pbing is awful and I've done my share - it has taken me 6 months to get this under control and no, I'm not too tight - I've had one fill and probably won't have another unless i can't lose any more weight. But, it has taken me a long time to learn to take the smallest of bites - in fact, i call them nibbles not bites and I can eat almost all foods unless it's really dry. I just eat small portions. Keep track of how often you are pbing - my doc was concerned but said unless it's happening evvery meal, every day, you do have to go thru a learning curve. However, he did take it seriously and every time I pb'd I was to go on full liquids for at least 24 hours + maalox. If you are doing it too much (determine this with your doc) you may need a slight unfill if you've had one. Every time you pb your stomach swells and even if you donn't feel it, it's swollen and you have to really baby it. take care, good luck.

Saul,

You didn't mention whether you'd had a fill or not, but if you're vomiting with nearly every meal I'd say there's a problem here. Either you're too tight, you've just not gotten the rules down yet, or there's something more serious wrong here. If you're confidant that you're eating slowly enough and chewing well enough....AND the vomiting isn't caused by the actual item that you've eaten (because some foods are high risk, like breads and dry meats and eggs and fibrous veggies), I'd contact my doctor and let them know right away. Either way, all this vomiting isn't good for you or your band. It puts you at risk for slippage.

Personally, I'm more than a year out and the only vomiting I've done has been related to gall bladder attacks. That's right, no PB's or vomiting for me related to eating. So, it can be done.

Good Luck,

Please let your doctor know you are doing this, it's not normal and you could cause damage by not finding out what is wrong. Good Luck, and let us know.

Thank you all so much for your responses. To answer some of your questions my surgery was March 6, 2006 I had my first and ONLY tightening on April 25. I had to go back twice that day because I couldnt even keep my saliva down. I now have a little over 2cc and I am fine. I have had some succesful meals (no PB'ing) and know that I need to re-learn to eat and what I can and can not eat. It seems that for now the only food that I can keep down is Sea bass or dover sole. I dont mind being on an all fish diet for now, but I sometimes need to be out for dinner with others and the option is not available.

I am glad to read that others even years after surgery still have some incidents of PB'ing. I guess we are all human. I am so glad I found this site. Thanks again for your answers and support.

Saul,

I would recommend going back to your doctor for another unfill. It doesn't have to be much... .1, .2 or .3cc's can make a HUGE difference.

:)

Saul, that might be A LOT if you have a 4cc band. I was banded 3/8/06 and I got 2cc in a 4cc band and then had to get .2 taken out. It's helped a lot. I have only PBed 2x since surgery, both on things I shouldn't have eaten. You really should talk to your doc, vomiting all the time doesn't seem normal, IMHO.

Good luck!

:) Kristin

Hey Saul, vomiting that much is BAD. If you are only able to keep soft fish down, then you are too tight.

I have the same size band you do, and when I"m at a 1.5 cc it's too much. Everyone one is different, but if you are BPing or vomiting, then you are too tight.

Being too tight puts you at risk for serious problems. Please, please talk to your doc about this. The state you are in is just miserable, and I'm sorry.