Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 days postop-citygirl checking in- 14 lbs gone.

I had planned to post tomorrow but am catching a very early flight to Chicago in the morning and wanted to make sure I posted. My surgery was a week ago Friday with Dr. Aceves. I went to Mexicali alone and the universe was thoughtful enough to send along my new pal Kathy as a guide and friends. Nothing like a couple of aftershocks to "bond" two people.

I'm feeling pretty good and even attended a black time function friday night...I said earlier the only thing that hurt was my feet in those heels...

Although physically doing really well...I am feeling "head hunger" and cravings. I'm really craving chinese dumplings...which when I had my band I couldn't really eat...they were way too dense.Today they are renting space in my head...I know that's a mechanism for me to ignore other feelings...just don't know what at this point. I'm not sure I can always tell the difference between lonely/sad/bored and hungry....

I'm trying NOT to focus on the scale. My preop weight is a jumble...so I am using 301 which is the weight I was the day I flew to San Diego. I've been doing lots of walking in my neigborhood and am packing my walking shoes to take to Chicago so I can take some walks while I'm traveling. I'm committed to doing the 3 day 60 mile Susan G. Komen walk in Novemeber in San Diego. I trained for 7 months last year and walked at 280 pounds. I don't want to do that walk again with the extra weight of an entire human being on my back....

I'm dissolving all my meds in liquids so I can take them right now and my internist in PHilly is being very supportive. He wants to see me every 6 weeks as a checkin. He looked me in the eye when I told him about my procedure and said..."Grace...131 pounds of extra weight was going to kill you....I'm going to do anything I can do to support you and your journey to lose your weight"....I almost cried.

This board has been a godsend to me and I hope I can one day be as helpful as others have been to me...

awwww, I wish you the best Citygal

hey there....I've been following kathy's lead and putting unflavored whey protien in my crystal lite, sugar free Jello and Soups. I also drink 2 protien bullets a day...they have 25 grams of protien...I try to drink one in the am and the second one later in the day. My recovery has been pretty textbook and some of that is luck of the draw. I didn't have to take any pain meds when I got home and with the exception of some trouble with bowel movements....it's been exactly what the doctor told me I could expect. I really believe walking as much as possible after surgery is also helpful.

Hope that helps!

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so great at your one week mark. Good job on your walking, and listening to your body.

Here's something for you to look forward to in the future. I can eat 3 chinese dumplings from TGI Fridays and our local Chinese buffet, and do so often. The band didn't allow me to eat them either, and when I tried them for the first time with the sleeve, I felt the Earth move because I was literally so happy. Seems silly I know, but the band really robbed us of so many good foods, and when we can once again enjoy something even in small quantities, I feel we get part of our lives back.

You're gonna do fabulous, and I'm excited to follow your progress. Plus, it sounds like you have an amazing internist that is extremely supportive, and will help you along the way.

I think i just heard the angels sing....LOL...My band and I never really bonded....so I am really trying to understand and listen to my body and my sleeve. You are such as amazing supporter and provide great info....

Thanks for all you do....

"my band and I never really bonded" --that's a great quote, I love it! Congrats on your success!

Wow, you are so encouraging. I haven't had my surgery yet, but listening to your experience gives me such hope. I keep wondering how I'm going to get my meds down. Some I can crush and some I can't. I like the suggestion of dissolving them in liquid....thanks!

Hey cute lady! Just wanted to say that at about the ten day mark I was super hungry, but that really has mellowed out. You are doing a great job!!! Good for you.