Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi ya-all I'm new

Hi to everyone!

I am a new member from North Carolina. I haven't had my surgery yet because I am self-pay and want to find a good surgeon in North Carolina. Any suggestions? I live in the beautiful mountains of Boone :) Not real sure how use this site since it's a first for me and I don't do much internet surfing. I finally have the $ saved up and now I'm ready to roll!

I look forward to "talking" to everyone.

We have Dr. B and Dr. V here in Charlotte if you are intersted to come this way. They are both very good and you have plenty of girls on here that have used both. I went with Dr. B and he did wonders for me with the Lapband. He also did gallbladder surgery as well and that was a breeze. So keep it in mind. If you go to Mexico The Best Me (Kathy) went out there and can help you with that. She's been banded for a year. WElcome to the board and hopefully we will get to meet you one day.

~Angie

Thanks for the reply! I am planning on having my band done in NC. I would like to have it as close to home as possible. Hickory is now doing them, but I don't want to be one of the first! The Dr. in Hickory quoted about $16,000 for surgery, hospital and anesth. They were not sure yet if this included any fills. Charlotte is certainly do-able.

I am so excited to know that there are this many bandsters right here in NC! I hope to meet some of you sometime.

Thanks! Sew & So

Hello Diane! I live in Hiddenite, which probably makes me closer to you than most anyone else here that I know of!:)

I was also going to have my surgery done in Hickory, and way back over a year ago they told me that they were going to start doing the band. I was going to be Dr. Cook's first or second patient, and I just said "NO WAY!":omg: I know he would have had an experienced surgeon with him while he did it, (I think INAMED requires that) and I know that it's technically a much simpler surgery to perform than the RNY, but I still don't want to be the first or second one that someone does. So, I went to Dr. Bauman in Concord. I was self-pay, so I figured with all that money I was spending anyway, what was a little drive going to hurt? I love him, and he's been wonderful for me, but I know there are other wonderful doctors too. A lot of them just happen to be in the Charlotte area, not closer to you or me.:phanvan

We go to Boone and Blowing Rock pretty often for different things like Makato's, Shops On the Parkway, Makato's, the Greene's Homecoming, Makato's, to see our friends in Blowing Rock, Makato's, and other stuff! (Can you tell that I like Makato's?:hungry:) It's beautiful up there, I love it! My parents also used to live in Boone when my mother was going to ASU, and they were living there when the found out she was expecting. Now the place where they lived is a parking lot, so I love to tease her when we go by there by pointing to it and saying, "look Mama, that's where you and Daddy made me!" O.K., that was way too much information, wasn't it? :nervous I'm sorry! Sometimes I just get carried away. :speechles

Welcome! I'm scheduled for my band with Dr.V (Voellinger) here in Charlotte on Monday, June 5th. I've liked him and his staff a lot! I don't know what self pay runs with him, but like Dr. B, he's very experienced. Good luck in your Quest, and please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We've all been there :)

Hi Denika!

Thanks for all the info! The same thing happened to me with the Hickory bunch- I've been going round & round with them for nearly a year now too. But I'm too chicken to be the first ones. That is so cool about you and Makoto's- we LOVE to eat there too (I embroider their shirts). My shop is on Hwy 105 in the shopping center next to the Chrysler dealership. I see that a lot of folks have had Dr. Bauman do their surgery and I am going to try to contact him this week. Was there a bunch of hoops that you had to jump through before he would schedule your surgery? I dread all that. I hope I can get most of it done here instead of having to run to Charlotte so many times.

It's a shame the way others judge you by your appearance before getting to know you. My husband is ok with me having the surgery, but he says he loves me like I am and thinks it is unnecessary. He's sweet, but he just can't understand how miserable I am! This time I am going to be selfish and do something just for me. I still feel guilty for spending such a huge amount on a little plastic band. I sure hope it's worth it.

Thanks!

Diane

Diane,

Welcome- as you see I had RNY instead of lap band but I'm still kicking around here at LBT. I used dr bauman for my RNY, he only requires you to have a consult and preop appt at his office. Everything else can be done by your PCP and faxed in. I'm not sure if there's flexibility with the nutrionist and the psych because I used the one's he recommended. Since your self pay it would probably be easier to get a date and approvals. I was fortunate to have insurance that covers both RNY and Lap Band.

I felt very guilty about putting myself first and having surgery, but you know what your worth it. I read an article that quoted women who are care takers of others tend to put themselves last and neglect themselves.

This is me to a T. I went from being my mom's caretaker to being a spouse and mother. So, this year it's all about me.

One exciting thing to look forward to is your transformation and an added bonus is the group here online, they are so nice. I would consider dr V too since many people have used him too. I don't know much about dr v though. My opinion anyone wainting to get certified by IMed would be scratched off my list, just me.

Good Luck with your Journey.

JEnnifer

Well, if you want to get the ball rolling,

You will need:

A full blood work up that includes the normal stuff like Iron, cholesterol and white blood count (chem 21 maybe?)

But also:

B1

B12

a full thyroid panel, including free and thryroid uptake

a vit d OH 25

H Pylori

an Endoscopy

THere is something else, but I cant remember.

Dr Bauman does require you to come to one of his seminars(there is one coming up soon, the 6th I think) and to fill out the patient questionaire on his website. www.carolinaweightlosssurgery.com

You will see the patient information on the left, then go to register.

With most docs, they will require you to have the same blood work and stuff.

I went to my general prac Dr to have all the blood work done.

Oh and you will have to have a psychologist evaluation done.

To make sure you wont go crazy after you have the surgery. Half kidding, half not.

There are some pretty good threads on the main board like:

Some questions to ask your dr

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12541

or

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15595

This whole thread inspired me:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16050

And for somethin that everyone asks I personally like StrawartS description of what a PB is..

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthrea...roductive+burp