Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confirmed date from surgeon...yiks, now I am getting a little nervous

Hi everyone. I have posted once, but been a reader for about a month when I started this journey seriously. My surgery (VSG) is scheduled for Wednesday, the 21st here in Austin, Tx. You all have helped me get to this point, reading of your own personal journeys and reading the support you provide to one another. Such an awesome group!

Per my surgeon, I will spend one night in the hospital. My surgery is scheduled for 10:30. I have never had surgery so this is a new experience for me. Surgeon has me on a two week pre-op diet of a minimum of 70 grams of Protein and no more than 30 grams of carbs daily. The carbs have been the roughest. I have been close most days, but been more at 40 rather than the 30.

Any doubts I'm having feel like anxiety rather than legitimate questioning of whether this is the right thing to do. For the first time in my life, I feel like I am doing something just for me. Wish me luck and please add me to your prayers. I'll let you know how it goes....Diane

Good Luck to you and be sure to let us know how you're doing.

Hopefully I'll be about a week behind you...keeping my fingers crossed.

I, too, have never had surgery and it's kinda scary.

I'm sure we'll both do fine though!

Thanks so much for your well wishes. I can see that my husband is a bit nervous as well. He has been very supportive in the hope that this will improve my significant back pain as well.

When are you having surgery and are you staying in the States? I see many folks on here going to Mexico - personally, I was not open to, but certainly it is a personal decision for each of us. Please keep me updated on your progress post surgery.

I'm glad that I am currently not working so I do not have to worry about rushing back to work. Just need to be ready to go on vacation to Wyoming and Colorado on May 23rd. Sounds doable?

Take care and keep in touch. I wish the very best for you. Diane

Diane,

My husband is very worried. He doesn't always know how to express that very well too and sometimes comes off as unsupportive.

My back pain was a big factor in my decision to do this. My lower back problems have pretty much led me to be sedentary for the past 1-2 yrs and that has just packed on even more pounds. I'm hoping to end that vicious cycle.

I'm having my surgery locally here in South Louisiana. Mexico wasn't an option for me either.

I have my pre-op appointment wednesday and will get my date then. Hoping for either the 28th, 29th, or 30th. That's pretty much my window of opportunity or else I will probably have to push it back until the end of June. So I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!

You will definitely be in my prayers and I hope you continue to post about your journey.

Diane, congrats on getting your date, and it being so close. I think nerves are pretty normal especially if you haven't had surgery before. One thing that really helps my nerves before they wheel me back is that I ask for a pre-anesthesia cocktail, it's typically IV valium. It calms my nerves because honestly I get very anxious in the OR holding area. I cry, and get pretty emotional. I'm also very claustrophobic when it comes to objects, or people hovering around my face so I make sure they know that they can't put that mask on my face while I am awake. When you talk to the anesthesiologist be honest with them, and tell them how you are feeling. I firmly believe that going under anesthesia relaxed and not stressed out helps tremendously with the recovery and waking up part. I've had 4 lap surgeries in less than 2 years plus 3 other surgeries years ago.

The sleeve is wonderful tool, and it is absolutely fabulous that you are doing this for yourself. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for an uneventful surgery and smooth recovery. Keep us posted once on your progress.

We're all scooting over on the loser's bench for ya ! ! !

Your advice is great and it could make for a great story...telling all my friends that I asked for a "cocktail" right before surgery! By nature I am a positive person so I hope that helps in my recovery. I have read your story and it feels like you you are the dorm Mom on these boards...a compliment that looks to be well deserved. You have really gone through alot to get to the point where you are today. I'm starting to visualize myself as thin again...it's been almost 10 years.

When I left work in the fall I weighed 235 pounds (at 5ft.2.5 in.) and with the anemia (lost apetite) and then on my pre-op diet I am down to 219.

I can't wait to become a bench player with the rest of you losers:001_rolleyes:

I'll check in prior to leaving for the hospital...thank you, Diane

Edited by DeeDee58
mistated a number

The "cocktail" made me smile, when I had my BR they brought me a pill before I walked into the surgical suite (they don't wheel you in there) and said "Here, take this happy pill"....I hadn't had anything to eat for 24hrs so I was VEEEERY happy.