Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories and building muscle

I went for my 6-week checkup yesterday (which was really 10-weeks because I was in the hospital at 6-weeks with gallbladder surgery). Anyway, my doc told me that by now my metabolism was probably bottomed out because I am only getting in from 300-500 calories a day. He didn't ask me about my calorie intake, he just knew (and he is right.)

He then told me my next step is to begin exercising to build muscle to lessen the loose skin. But what I must do first is get my calorie intake up to 700-800 calories a day. He said it is impossible to build muscle when you are getting only 500 cal/day. It all made sinse to me. He advocates an Atkins type lifestyle - high Protein, low carb, but also low fat (which sound to me more like South Beach.)

Anyway, I find it very difficult to eat 700-800 calories a day while keeping it low carb and low fat. I just can't eat that much!

Wow! I just updated my ticker and realized I am exactly half-way to goal at 10-weeks post op! Yeah me!

I'd appreciate any comments about the calories and building muscle!

Edited by Grateful Heart
Added a paragraph.

A couple of options:

Try part skim string cheese - 6g Protein and 80 calories.

If you still do Protein shakes, look for additives such as Peanut Butter.

Try upping your Protein (chicken, fish, etc) portion just a bit - maybe add 1/4 to 1/2 ounce and see if you can tolerate it.

Did you ever think you'd have the problem of not being able to eat enough? :wink0:

There was no way I could do low carb and low fat. It just wasn't possible for me. I found that most low fat products had many more carbs, and sugar added to make the stuff taste better.

I miss the full fat stuff, and healthy fat foods I was eating pre-gallbladder removal. I hate that I can not eat full fat salad dressing anymore, or avocados. I'm hoping it's temporary as I'm not willing to take any other meds just to be able to eat full fat foods.

I have been cooking in olive oil, and adding healthy fats to my recipes lately because I honestly believe my body needs fats to function properly.

I don't have any great suggestions because I didn't have to count fat grams.

Hopefully, others can chime in along with Mini, and give you some more ideas. I do empathize with you on getting in more calories. I hate the feeling of force feeding that I go through every day.

MINI -

Thanks for the tips. But I've never drank Protein Shakes. I use Pro-Stat 64 for my Protein supplementation. No I never thought I would ever be "complaining" because I can't eat enough! LOL. And the only people who understand are ya'll. I could never say those kind of things to my friends at work. Most of them are ffrom a little to a lot overweight. They are already hating me a litlle for eating so little and dropping weight so fast. They all know about my surgery. I just think it would be rubbing it in if I told them I have to try to eat more. LOL

Tiffikins -

You said you could never do low carb and low fat? Are you doing low fat or low carb or neither. I'm confused.

I know this is not really healthy, but at some point do you have to just suck down some milkshake to get some calories in? I think I could handle the thought of that. :wink0:

I have a lot of muscle. I work out at the gym 6 days a week.

I don't eat anywhere close to 700

calories.I'd say I eat about 1500 cal per day. I always eat a healthy snack when I get home from the gym. I do eat carbs. I eat healthy carbs though.I don't eat rice bread Pasta, etc. those white carbs.

It is possible to have a varied diet eating low carb and pretty low fat with plenty of Protein.