Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My experience with EGD - Scope

The doc required an egd(scope) before he would go in for my lapband removal.

Soooo..I thought I would share with you guys my experience.

Removed my top only left on my bra and put on a surgical gown.

Left on my pants, etc.

They put in an iv and little sticky things on your chest to monitor

your heart, do a blood pressure and the finger thingey for oxygen

levens and heart beat.

They have a spray that spray in your mouth to numb your throat and

your gag reflex. It tasted like a combination of bananas(banana flavored),

but more like 100 proof alcohol and pop rocks. And VERY bitter.

They tell you not to breathe while it is in your mouth so you dont

inhale the numbing spray.

Then they do the other side.

Soon you feel like you cant swallow, and your cheeks, tongue, lips and throat are numb.

Then the put the sedation thru your iv.

I dont remember anything past that point. They call it a 'twilight sleep'

but for me it was more like a 'midnight sleep'

Woke up, no sore throat or anything it takes between 20 and 30 minutes.

They tell you not to drive, so you need a driver, and even after the

sedation wore off in an hour or so, you are a bit addled for the rest of the day.

Still no sore throat, and no after effects of the sedation.

Anxiously awaiting the call for my band removal!

Lisa

:)

Hi Lisa, thanks for detailing the "scope" procedure you had. I too was sprayed with that numbing stuff a couple of months post surgery when I had an upper endoscopy to check things out. The thing that FREAKED me out was the spray the anesthesiologist sprung on me right before they put me into the "twilight" zone. I felt like he was an exterminator streaming insecticide down my throat and I was so upset because I felt like I could not swallow-but before I went into an all out panic, I was asleep. Prior to my sleeve surgery I was required to be examined by a gastroenterologist. He did an upper endo without having my throat hosed down and I just went off to sleep...no problems.

Anyway....All the best to you...I hope you get the clearance you need for the sleeve surgery.

Thanks LAN2k - Hoping to get some good news today.

I also started to panic when I couldent swallow, very odd feeling.

I think the time it with the IV Sedation because of that panic mode.

Weird your 2nd one you didnt get the spray..I was told it was to control the gag reflex. but maybe he did it a little differntly.

The spray was awful, it was hard not to gasp/choke it in.

The spray was awful.

I was sorta half-awake the whole time they were scoping me... I actually *remember* the feeling of the scope down my throat and gagging a little at one point. Unpleasant!

However, the rest of the day is full of little "blackouts"... I guess I'm just challenging to anesthetize.

All things considered, however, the EGD is nothing to be afraid of. Even though I wasn't completely "out" during the procedure, I was so doped up that they could have been feeding me my own liver and I would have happily chowed down. Better living through chemistry, baby!

I have had several EGDs and an ERCP and don't remember ever having my throat sprayed? After hearing you describe it, I don't know how I could forget it! LOL

Maybe they did it after they sedated me?? If so, I should thank them! : )