Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gotta get serious about exercise

Yep! I am officially putting it out there that I have not done any real exercise since having my surgery. I made promises, but haven't kept them. :001_unsure:

So, I need some support and accountability. My surgeon asked for 20 minutes a day for 3 days a week minimum. I can do that. Right????

Let me start by saying that I am TOTALLY out of shape. I have some lung issues which cause me to get winded and a knee that causes pain with a lot of down motion (think of going down the stairs). I need to start at the basics - and I mean BASICS!!! (Walking outside isn't the best since I live in the Seattle area and yes, it does rain a lot here.)

So, while I know I need cardio for fat loss - there also seems to be a balance of strength training for firming up. Can you guys give me some ideas of what you've done? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Well, I do a lot of Jillian Michaels workouts, which are tough, but there is something she does a lot in her workouts, which is a basic punching motion. Like you are hitting a punching bag. She bends her knees (in squat position) and just punches away. The only reason I mention this is because she says that kind of upper body workout is great for people who have lower body injuries. I thought it was kind of silly, but it really does get your heart going! She also does upper cuts, which is in squat position, punching straight above your head.

I know you can't do punching alone as a workout, but this might help some!

I use 3,5 and 10lb dumb bells. If craigslist.com is popular in your area, check out the sporting section for people getting rid of weights. We scored over $1000.00 worth of weight for a mere $200.00.

I also swear by Hip Hop Abs, and used it for years. It's cardio, no getting on the ground for crunches, and it really helps tone the core. There is a "modified" girl that goes at a different pace, and I followed her when I was seriously out of shape.

I have not been working out. I keep making excuses. I seriously need to tone up.

I'm willing to be a buddy/accountability partner. The only problem may be our time zone difference. But, we can text or Facebook each other workout cheers. Something to get us both off the couch.

I need to focus on my arms, butt, thighs, and stomach. I'm not doing cardio, but I needing some serious toning.

Let me know if you wanna work something out. I'm going to shoot for 4 days a week, 30-45 minutes a day. Also, I'm going to start doing my stand up crunches again. I will have to start all over at 30 then add 5-10 per day until I'm back up to 150.

Wow Mini-Me, I wish I could have lost 37 pounds without working out! Man, I'm jealous because for me, if I don't workout, I do not lose weight. Anyways, you can TOTALLY get in 20 minutes a day for 3 days a week. One thing that might help you get in the whole 3 days for the week is think about what your schedule will be ahead of time. like for example, if you are a monday through friday worker, I would suggest monday, wednesday, and thursday. Mondays are the best days to work out. Your body is well rested from a nice weekend and it really just sets the tone for the week, it's like a motivation starter for the upcoming week. I absolutely love Mondays! Then tuesday you can rest, and wednesday your back at it. Now the only reason I suggest thursday instead of friday is because a lot of people are tired by the end of week and you might not push yourself to go. All that's on your mind is TGIF and I'm ready to relax. So if you do the third day on thursday, you get it out the way and your done! Now you can have your relaxing weekend knowing you stuck to your set workout routine. Then maybe once you get more physical and start picking up your exercise routine, you can add in extra days or up that 20 minutes to 30 or more. For me, I work out everyday except Sundays. And I have to do an hour or more. But I've built myself up to that and you can too! Take one day at a time and you body WILL respond and you won't be as winded. Regular exercise will only strengthen your lungs not make them worse! And you knees need to get used to regular exercise too! Something that is easy on the joints, esp knees, is SWIMMING:thumbup1: I highly recommend it. If they have a Water aerobics class at your gym that you can take part in that would be amazing. If not, you can just do walking while pumping your arms underwater or if you can push yourself to do some freestyle that would be awesome.

One more thing that might motivate you is you can sign up for a 5K walk in your area. For example, on June 22 there's The Seattle Animal Shelter’s 11th Annual Furry 5k Fun Run and Walk or Sep 12 the Aflac Iron Girl Seattle Women's event. If you sign up for something like this for 1) you have made a committment and you have something to work towards; knowing that you have this event coming up will keep you accountable for the weeks or months before it to push yourself and prepare you body; 2) you will meet tons and tons of motivating people, you will not be alone, you will not be the last person to cross the finish line, you will feel accomplished, you can even bring friends and family and do it together!; 3) you will be supporting a great cause, for whatever organization you choose to support, the proceeds go toward the goal of that organization.

Anyways, I wish you the best as you embark on your new fitness agenda. I will be rooting for you and look foward to hearing about your progress:lol0:

Edited by 5150sleeve

Let me know if you wanna work something out. I'm going to shoot for 4 days a week, 30-45 minutes a day. Also, I'm going to start doing my stand up crunches again. I will have to start all over at 30 then add 5-10 per day until I'm back up to 150.

Tiff - That would be great! I'm sure we can work something out on FB. I have it on my phone so I'm always getting messages.

As for the other responses - thank you. I definitely need to get off my butt (at the rate it's shrinking, I need to do something to keep it's shape)! I like the M,W,Th idea.

I'm thinking of using my Wii Fit for those nights to get in some cardio (I'll just take an extra dose of my inhaler if needed). I will also look into Water aerobics - I think I can get a punch card at the high school & go at least 1 night a week. (I'll also look and see if I can check out a Jillian DVD and see if I think I can do that.)

I bought a new version of the old Thigh Master (or are people on here too young to remember those) to help with the jiggly thighs.

What I would really like are some additional ideas for toning. Tiff - what is a standing crunch? What can I do to help with the bat arms? Like I said, I am so out of shape & don't know a lot about form. So, if you know any websites I can check out, I'd be very appreciative. :thumbup:

Once again, I appreciate your support. Time to get off the couch (even though it is sooooooooo comfy!)

Skull crushers are great for triceps.

How to Do the Skullcrusher Triceps Extension - The Skullcrusher Weight Training Exercise for Triceps

I do the above for triceps. I use a 8lb dumbbell. I lay on the weight bench, and lift the dumbbell 20 reps, 3 times with a 1 minute rest in between reps.

Stand up crunch:

Squat up against a wall with your legs spread a little wider than shoulder width apart.

With your lower back staying flat to the wall, curl your shoulders over while lifting your pelvis up. It's kind of a crunch but your lower back is being supported, and your lower ab muscles are doing more of the work. This has given me the most "lift" of my lower belly fat.

For Biceps, I use 5 or 8lb dumbbells. In a standing position, I hold the dumbbell with the top of hand facing out front then I curl the dumbbell up to my shoulder.

Arm Curl - How to Do the Arm Curl - Dumbbell Arm Curl - Barbell Arm Curl

I do leg lifts with a 8lb weighted ball in between the arches of my feet. I lie on my back, and then lift my legs straight up to a 90 degree angle, and lower them within 6inches from the ground, and hold that position for 10 seconds then Repeat about 30-40 times. This one takes time to build up. Start without a weighted ball, and do them, you'll feel your hamstrings, quads and butt muscles on this one.

I also do leg lifts laying on my side. I lay with my legs together, lift my leg as high as I can, flex/tighten my thigh muscles, hold for 15 seconds, and then lower my leg. I repeat this at least 25 times, and then switch sides.

For calves, I have a 2x4 piece of wood. I put the ball of my feet on it, allowing my heels to hang off the end. Then I tippy-toe, and hold for 10-15 seconds. I do this until I can't handle the burn anymore. This is great for the butt as well.

I hate lunges because they hurt my knees.

If you curl or flat Iron your hair, get into the habit of rolling up on your tippy toes and holding it until you move to the next section of your hair, or while your blow drying your hair. I do this all the time, and it really helps define your calf muscles.

I started with 3 reps of 12 on all my stuff with a 2 minute break in between reps. But, as my stamina built, I was able to do them quicker, and it felt really great. Since I've been off the wagon for so long, I'll probably have to start all over.

It is only as intense as you make it, but swimming or Water aerobics can be a super low impact way to get started too.

Yep! I am officially putting it out there that I have not done any real exercise since having my surgery. I made promises, but haven't kept them. :wink0:

So, I need some support and accountability. My surgeon asked for 20 minutes a day for 3 days a week minimum. I can do that. Right????

Let me start by saying that I am TOTALLY out of shape. I have some lung issues which cause me to get winded and a knee that causes pain with a lot of down motion (think of going down the stairs). I need to start at the basics - and I mean BASICS!!! (Walking outside isn't the best since I live in the Seattle area and yes, it does rain a lot here.)

So, while I know I need cardio for fat loss - there also seems to be a balance of strength training for firming up. Can you guys give me some ideas of what you've done? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Well, MINI, you won't get any harsh judgements here because I know we've all been there and done that, pre-op or post-op. I have had times in my life when I've been really gung ho with exercising, whether at home or at the gym, and I can honestly say it became addictive as my frequency increased. The problem is getting through that first month or so of establishing a true pattern and habit of working out.

I'm at the beginning of trying to get a pattern going (AGAIN!:blink:). I'm not feeling the gym right now because work is hectic and I"m feeling self-conscious (not always a problem). So, I'm sticking to in-home exercise. If you're interested in equipment, check this out.

AeroPilates Premier w/ Cardio Rebounder & 2 DVDs - QVC.com

It combines cardio and excellent toning/strength training. I see results after 3 full 30-40 min sessions. I've seen people totally transform their bodies with Pilates, with no intense cardio and no joint pounding.

There are more and less expensive versions of this machine out there, and of course, you can also do floor pilates with a DVD and inexpensive equipment. Maybe this could be another option for you. Once I get MD clearance, I'm hoping to keep working on my machine most of the time and throwing in some gym stuff to mix it up for my post-op routine.

BTW, I do have this specific QVC pilates machine, and it's very high quality and worth the price. I would recommend it to anyone who's interested. The only negative is that when fully extended, it takes up ALOT of room, so you'd have to be sure you'll have room for it.

Mini, here's a good website to check out. If you click on the picture of the exercise you want to see, you'll actually see it being done. It really helped me learn about form.

Stretching Exercises

I was lax with exercise in my first two months. I think that going back to work on day 7 just left me tired out, then I got lazy and only exercise 1 or 2 days a week. I have no excuse as I have a full gym and pool here at home and live on an urban lake with a 3.5 mile path around it.

Yesterday was month 2 for me and I decided to step it up. Last week I walked to work 3x. It's only about 20 minutes each way, but better than driving. Yesterday morning I got out and walked the lake, then did it again this morning. I would much rather sit on the couch until the urge to exercise passes, but I know I can't and shouldn't. I have a good rebounder in my living room and try to remember to get on it. I put a set of 5 lb weights on the coffee table to remind me to work my arms while I watch tv and that in turn reminds me to get down and do some crunches and stretching. Again, I just got them out this week but we have to take baby steps so we don't give up.

I joined a fitness challenge on the Lightweight board on OH that commits to 30 minutes of exercise a day. I want to do that and try to be accountable.

For your joint/knee issues, I would recommend Water aerobics... It's really a lot of fun and much easier on your body than the walking/aerobics. Stationary bike might work too. I used to do Water aerobics all the time back in college, and it was really cool.

You are doing great, having not done any exercise thus far. I say, how amazing will you feel getting out there and moving a bit? I'm really only exercising for stress reduction at the moment. :thumbup:

Mini, how are you doing with your exercise this week? I am finding it so helpful to be part of a fitness challenge. Being accountable for 30 minutes a day seems to be helping to get my weight loss fired up.

Thanks for checking up. I did Wii Fit for over 30 minutes on Monday (man! were my calf muscles sore from the step aerobics) and 30 minutes of walking on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any real exercise in last night due to appointments, but I'm on track for tonight. (Tiff and I have communicating via text messages and keeping each other accountable. It's been good knowing I have to report in.)

Yahoo!

Can I get in on the butt kicking? Meaning will someone kick mine? I didn't feel good the first three weeks and felt justified (kind of) in not starting a program, but I feel really good now and every day think its gonna happen. Yikes!!! I need to get this area down too or the long term won't happen, scary!

Absolutely. Should we start a thread(s) where we load our exercise?

Yes! Maybe some accountability would be great.