Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New - Just got approval

I'm pretty new here but have been reading everyone's posts for over a month. I thought I'd dive in and join in the posting. I just got my approval from the insurance company today after 4 months of fighting. I don't have a date yet because I have to go to my pre-op visit. I'm still in amazement that this is actually going to happen. I wondered how any of you explained or told your children about the surgery. Mine are 10 year old girl and 7 year old boy.

Mine's 21 (20 when I had the surgery) and totally understood it... he's watched me struggle for years and struggles himself. My stepkids (almost 10 and 13) live in Florida with their mom and I'm not sure they know that's I've had it or not, but they knew when they were here at Christmas that I was looking into it, but--I'm just the stepmom, and we get along great, have lots of fun, and they like me, but are kind of indifferent most of the time when it comes to the emotional attachment.

BUT, huge congrats on getting your approval, you'll be so glad you're doing this!

Congrats on getting approval, and good luck with your consult.

My son is 11yrs old, 10 when I had the band placed, and turned 11 during my recovery with my VSG.

With the band, my mother had hers placed in November 2007 so he was kind of familiar with the procedure. He knew my struggles with the band, and he's kind of gross little boy that likes the scientific, gory stuff of surgery and the like. So, when I started researching VSG he was right by my side. He watched youtube videos of the procedure. I showed him diagrams of what my stomach would look like post-op. I showed him people's before and after pictures that had the procedure. He knew I was in pain every day with my band.

Luckily, my son and I have an amazing bond, and communicate very openly. Most choose to keep it simple, and age appropriate. Some just tell their children that they are having stomach surgery, and they will be tired for a few days. I just happen to be (probably for some) extremely open with my child.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I was open with my kids too (19, 16, and 8) ... For the youngest, I told him that mommy needed her tummy fixed because it made her want to eat too much. I showed him some diagrams and he thought it was kinda cool - but not very interested.

What was funny was when I returned home. He had gotten it in his head that I would come home skinny. Boy! Did I disappoint him! But, now he makes comments like "I like hugging you and reaching all the way around". Makes me smile everytime!

Thanks so much. I explained it to both of my kids last night. I drew them a picture and explained how it would help me with being more healthy and more active with them. They both seemed to understand and even be happy about it. They were most worried about me being put to sleep....funny that's not what I expected. Now i just have to go to the pre-op class and my pre-op visit which I already have scheduled...one step closer!

It's so wonderful that you are able to do this while your kids are young. My youngest is getting ready to turn 18, so I was overweight his whole life. I huffed and puffed along at Disneyworld, Sea World, and Six Flags; covered up at beach vacations, and watched from a lawn chair during ball practice when I could have been up helping and getting in on the fun.

I so wish this had been available 15-20 yrs ago for me. I'm just glad that I've been able to do it though and extend my life expectancy so I can be in great shape when grandkids come along (not any time soon, I hope - ha!). Congrats on your insurance approval and being able to explain it to your kids!