Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boughie too small??

Hi all.. I'm looking for a little input on boughie size. I've read all the posts on here and so I understand that differences are marginal and alot of the surgeons sewing style is factord in (thanks tiffykins).

Anyway. I am low BMI (31). I have 70 lbs to loose (have lost and gained about 100lbs time and again throughout my life).

My surgeon uses a 32f boughie. I'm considering asking for 40. It won't make a huge differnce, but maybe a little more flexability in maintenence. My issue is not overeating at meals per se and I make very good food choices. It's just I'm a serious binger. I'm thinking a 40 would definately keep me from binging but maybe let me enjoy a beer one day.

any thoughts??

Thanks

Stacey

9 days to sleeve!!

Edited by stcyt

Hi all.. I'm looking for a little input on boughie size. I've read all the posts on here and so I understand that differences are marginal and alot of the surgeons sewing style is factord in (thanks tiffykins).

Anyway. I am low BMI (31). I have 70 lbs to loose (have lost and gained about 100lbs time and again throughout my life).

My surgeon uses a 32f boughie. I'm considering asking for 40. It won't make a huge differnce, but maybe a little more flexability in maintenence. My issue is not overeating at meals per se and I make very good food choices. It's just I'm a serious binger. I'm thinking a 40 would definately keep me from binging but maybe let me enjoy a beer one day.

any thoughts??

Thanks

Stacey

9 days to sleeve!!

You are right, there are a lot of things that impact the overall sleeve size. I had a 36 and so did my friend. The surgeon said that my sleeve ended up a bit tighter due to my anatomy and how things lined up. I have had a few beers and haven't had any problems.

If you think your surgeon is too small, I would definitely advise that you talk to him (her) and explain your concerns. Maybe he can help with your fears or go to a different size if he feels it's an issue.

Best of luck ... let us know how it goes.

It's probably just jitters.

I know my doc will use a variety of sizes.... depending on bmi. He oversews so it will end up a little smaller. From everything I've read the 36s seem pretty happy. I'm tall 5'7'' so I wonder if my sleeve will be naturally longer?

Stacey

Can someone explain what you are talking about? Are you referring to the new size of the stomach, what denomination is 36? My doctor over sewing too, he said that he imprecates the edge of the stomach by folding the edge over and over sowing it. Is that what you are talking about?

A boughie is a tube like thing they incert into your stomach when stitching it up. The smaller the boughie the smaller the stomach ends up.... in theory....

It really depends a lot on the surgeon as well. If he sews loose from the boughie your stomach will be bigger. If he's a tight sewer it will be smaller.

I'm not exactly sure about the unit of measurment... what it means etc. I just know that average is between 32 and 36.

Tiffykins has posted some great stuff on boughies. If you search her threads you could find a comparision chart that shows different sizes.... a 32 being equal to a bick ball point pen etc.

I hope that helps.

Stacey

A bougie is a measuring tool that is slid down your esophagus and strictly used as a guide for the surgeon to dissect the stretchy part of the stomach away from the sleeved portion that is left.

Here is a comparison chart that can give you a visual. Your stomach will NOT be the size of a sharpie marker in diameter. This is a comparison of what the sizes of the measuring tool, not what your stomach will end up being after recovery.

Bougie%20Size.jpg

Just a visual to offer more pictures of how minimal the difference is between the sizes your concerned about.

ring%20size.jpg

Here is a fabulous link for bougies. It physically lists every size of bougies, with the millimeter measurements.

Scroll to pages 3 and 5 to see the table of reference for bougie sizes.

http://www.medovations.com/pdf/Esoph...Dilatation.pdf

The difference in a 32fr and 40fr is a mere 2.3cm in diameter.

Most sleeved stomach post-op can hold no more than 8-10ounces of mushy food, and rarely more than 4-8 ounces of dense Protein from what I have read on people that are further out.

From the endoscopy pics that I have of my sleeve at 9 months post-op, my stomach looks to maybe a bit bigger in diameter than a quarter, but smaller than a half-dollar coin.

Thanks Tiffykins.

You have truly done your homework. I appreciate that we get to benefit from it.

Stacey

Tiffykins - thanks for that link - I am deciding between 2 surgeons, one uses a 32 and one a 34, so only 0.5mm between them, nothing really..... so that has helped me a bit.

Thanks for all your hard homework!!

Kathy