Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI only 33 but have struggled all my life

I am seriously considering the sleeve. I am 35 yo, 5' tall and weigh about 170 right now. My heaviest was 244 in 2003. It has taken me years to lose the weight and actually got done lower last year to 130 but that is with a VERY strict diet and exercise regimen. I am a single mom with three small children and my profession is very stresssful. I just can't take the massive weight gain/loss constantly. My mom had gastric segmentation 16 years ago and it has been a blessing for her. Our family is obese, no way around it. I have BCBS Federal and understand after calling that they do cover this procedure. I know with a low BMI (ha low, meaning I am obese, not considered morbidly obese) my chances of approval may not be good. I also have asthma, joint pain, horrible knees, and added stress because I can't seem to lose weight anymore. Also, I used to be 5'2", I have scoliosis and am afraid the weightdoes affect that, I have back pain when standing alot. I don't know where to start, how do I find a dr? Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom in my situation?

To find a doctor, start with your insurance company to find out which surgeons perform the sleeve, and if they accept your insurance, and do a google search of doctors in your area that perform the sleeve.

Then do independent research on that surgeon, and contact their office for information on their seminar, office procedures, consultation and so forth. Once you get some details on specific surgeons then start asking for some people's personal experience with that particular surgeon. Of course, you'll get a wide range of opinions and experiences so you'll have to sift through the information at your own discretion.

I know the rollercoaster of weight loss and gain, and the sleeve has given me the control I need to keep a healthy weight.

Best wishes in your research.

Hi there. I was a lightweight (ha ha!) as well. My BMI was 33 when I started this whole thing. Unfortunately, my insurance excludes WLS so that wasn't a path for me. But, I'm doing really well & love the restriction the sleeve gives me.

Tiff gave you some great advice. If you have other questions, just ask. We are like family out here.

Welcome!

Well just talked to my mom about the sleeve and she is very concerned. She had segmentation and had great success, she was very shocked to hear that they actual remove a part of your stomach for this procedure. I just have not done enough research to calm her concerns.

Personally, I think it's good that she is concerned. We are talking major surgery here. But, keep investigating and learning all you can. That way you will KNOW it's the right surgery for you if you decide to go for it.

Here's a lot of information that you can sift through if you'd like. There are patient testimonials, and research articles and links available within this information. It's a lot, but it will help you decide which surgery is right for you, and your lifestyle.

I can tell you why I chose VSG over RNY for my revision from the band.

1) No blind stomach left that can't be easily scoped, but can still get cancer and ulcers.

2) The stats on regain with the RNY honestly scared me.

3) Malabsorption of calories/fat only lasts about 2 years, but the malabsorption of Vitamins and micro-nutrients last a lifetime.

4) No medication restrictions with VSG. RNY can not take NSAIDS due to ulcer risks. No food restrictions with VSG. Only 30% of RNY patients dump on sugar and carbs. I didn't want to essentially deprive myself of something occasionally, and suffer consequences. I did that for years dieting, all it did was cause me to binge.

5) Rerouting my intestines really was not an option.

6) I was a volume eater, not a grazer, not a sweet craver, and I simply need Portion Control and to remove my ravenous hunger. The sleeve gave me both.

7)Pouches and stomas stretch. Our sleeved stomach tissue has minimal stretching capability.

Here's those links for research purposes.

Diligence-is-always-required

Stalls-Happen

Update-from-a-2-Year-Post-Op-VSGer

2-year-surgiversary-and-feeling

Two-and-one-half-years-post-op

TWO-YEARS-YALL

Just-Passed-My-2-Year-Surgiversary

questions-for-post-ops-2-years-out-or-more

2-years-out-food-amount-info

anyone-2-years-out

Happy-2-year-anniversary-to-me

2-years-post-op-TODAY

2-5-Years-After-a-VSG

Everday-life-at-2-5-years-out

2-1-2-year-update

Has-it-really-been-2-years

2-1-2-year-update

Two-Year-Surgiversary

2-year-update-portrait-of-a-heavyweight-a-bit-late

Two-year-surgiversary

2-and-1-2-years-later

2-years-since-my-surgery-any-advice-on-face-lift

2-year-post-op-pics

Two-Years-Before-amp-After-Pic

2-year-update-portrait-of-a-heavyweight-a-bit-late

Thought-you-might-enjoy-an-update-with-a-few-pics

Busybusymom-is-back-2-years-post-op

TWO-YEARS-BABY

Any-old-timers-still-lurking-the-boards

Long-term Sleeve Experiences - 3 Years

on June 8, 2009 10:43 pm

Three years out

Three and a half years after Vertical Gastrectomy My Story

A quick 2 year and 3 year VSG update

Third Year Surgiversay

Not always easy but always worth it

Very Discouraged 3 years out

Links for researching the VSG

on March 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Here are some links I've collected when I was researching the sleeve. ASMBS position paper on sleeve - includes reports of early studies

LapSF Educational presentation to FACS - includes some 2 year results

LapSF Two Year Study

LapSF Five Year Study - abstract only

LapSF Five Year Study - presentation (requires Windows to play)

Literature review on the sleeve - requires $$ to get the full text unfortunately

Sleeve best for over 50 crowd

Video of a sleeve with lots of education discussion

Video of a sleeve that is more about the operation

Ghrelin levels after RnY and sleeve

Ghrelin levels after band and sleeve

Diabetes resolution in RnY vs. Sleeve

Comparison of band to sleeve - literature review

Wow thank you SO much! I will take time to look at all of the info, this is great! Can I ask where everyone had their surgery? I can't find any doctors in my area that have extensive experience in the sleeve.

Hi sickofrollercoaster.

I am also low BMI and I must say it's a very hard decision. I think we have all taken a bit of flack for our decision and there is a real predjudice that goes with wls... but people have actually accused me of having "body dysmorphic disorder" My BMI is 30.1 which is OBESE. I have been overweight my whole life and last year.... after imense agony.... I got down to a BMI of 27 from somewhere around 38. As you can see... I'm on my way back up and I'm terrified.

I have decided to have surgery now... before I put all that stress on my skin and organs. I'm 44. I don't know how many more times my skin will shrink.

Anyway. I just wanted you to know your not alone. You have to make the right choice for you... but low bmi's are here for you.

The bad news. As far as I know, most insurance companies will only cover surgery between 35-40 with co-morbids and 40 and up with no co-morbids.

You should definately persue that route 1st, but even though my insurance covers wls... I will be going to Mexico due to my low BMI. If you choose that route you want to be sure and do good research.

I financed my surgery through surgeryloans.com

All the best

Stacey

STCYT,

Thanks so much for your response! That does help make me feel like I am not alone. I have been proud during the times I was able to lose the weight but it is just not maintainable with all of the stresses in life. If I were single, no kids and had a stress free job, MAYBE but who knows!

Can you tell me more about how you found your surgeon, etc? The other thing that will hurt me as private pay is that I filed BK over 4 years ago so I am still having trouble getting financing. I make really good money and have very low debt now but the BK still haunts me...

Thanks for any help you may offer!

Did either of you go to Mexico for your surgery? Have read ALOT about surgeons in Mexico from this forum.

I had my surgery here in Florida as my insurance covered my procedures.

Thanks again for everyone's responses. I have looked quite a bit on obesityhelp.com and see that my insurance is one of the best for approving WLS. Looks like I may just have a battle with my low BMI of 33 but I have some co-morbidities they mention. Also, I have been under the supervision of a licensed nurse practioner for almost 2 years in terms of losing weight so I would hope that would help. I am having a hard time finding a surgeon near me that does the sleeve.

My husband is from WV, down near Charleston, Logan County. We live in Florida at this time because he's in the Air Force.

I've done some research for one of his relatives that wanted to consider the sleeve. We ended up having her research surgeons out of Cincinnati, OH and a couple of surgeons in Pennsylvania.

I think Martinsburg is in the northern part of the state. You may have to drive a bit for an experienced surgeon, but it will be worth it. The aftercare with the sleeve is really minimal, and your lab work can be pulled by your family doctor, and then sent to your surgeon so you shouldn't have to travel a lot for aftercare.

If you need anything, feel free to contact me.