Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week to go

Hi, i have no idea what i'm doing or even if i'm writing in the right place! I have one week until surgery and are starting to get nervous.I have had my fair share of operations in the past, but am finding it hard to come to terms with this one as its elective.I have heard others speaking of a pre-op diet, but was not told to alter my diet at all before the op.I am also a bit embarassed about having it done as i feel as if i failed in doing it on my own.Does anyone else feel this way? I have only told a couple of family members and no-one else.:phanvan :phanvan :phanvan

Hi, i have no idea what i'm doing or even if i'm writing in the right place! I have one week until surgery and are starting to get nervous.I have had my fair share of operations in the past, but am finding it hard to come to terms with this one as its elective.I have heard others speaking of a pre-op diet, but was not told to alter my diet at all before the op.I am also a bit embarassed about having it done as i feel as if i failed in doing it on my own.Does anyone else feel this way? I have only told a couple of family members and no-one else.:phanvan :phanvan :phanvan

Hello and Welcome!

It is natural to feel nervous before any operation. I was lucky enough to only have a few weeks betwen getting my date booked in, and the actual op, that I was too busy to feel too nervy.

As for the pre op diet. All docs are different, and require different things pre op.

Please do not feel embarassed about having the band! You are taking charge of your weight, and health by doing this! That is something to be proud of. :clap2:

It is a deeply personal choice as to telling people. I kinda wish sometimes that I had not told *everyone* (I have a big mouth, lol) But all in all, people have been pretty supportive, and I am thankful.

If you have any questions, I am more than happy to help out.

Thanks Sammee, its good to know that there is support out there. I live in a small town which can be great, but also has its disadvantages if you dont want things to get around. I suppose that i'm hoping that i'll be successful before i say anything.It also worries me that although the morbitity rate is very low,i'm risking my health by having the surgery,even though i'm risking my health by not.Anyway thanks again i hope to talk to you all frequently, and maybe eventually i'll be able to help someone myself!

Because I have lost and gained weight my entire life, I decided NOT to go public with the banding operation and only 2 people know (my closest friends). It's an individual decision whether or not you share it with others and only you know what's in your best interest.

Surgery is scary and this operation is no different. I was not in the best shape going into the surgery but I did fine and continue to feel well. Know that you have many people who support you here so share your concerns.

Thanks Sammee, its good to know that there is support out there. I live in a small town which can be great, but also has its disadvantages if you dont want things to get around. I suppose that i'm hoping that i'll be successful before i say anything.It also worries me that although the morbitity rate is very low,i'm risking my health by having the surgery,even though i'm risking my health by not.Anyway thanks again i hope to talk to you all frequently, and maybe eventually i'll be able to help someone myself!

Surgery is scary full stop. And sometimes the numbers, no matter how low they are, still look huge.

I looked at it this way. I was 24, and If I was real lucky I might get to 34 (and the way I was going I would have been 200kg when I got there). My health was *that* bad. So to me, the benifit outweighed the risk.

And I know what you mean about wanting to be successful before being "outted". It has been hard to have people watch me. Watch my progress. As supportive as some have been, I have felt like I lived in a fishbowl at times :nervous

Like the others have said what you are feeling is only normal. Start reading all the posts on here, it might help you know exactly what you are going to go though.

Good Luck and keep us posted.