Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got into a little trouble today..

Went to the doc for my 2week follow up. I met with the nurse practitioner and proudly announced that I had moved onto mushies and was tolerating the

vey well. After I pulled her off of the ceiling, she lectured me (not in a bad way) about leaks. I know all of this, I educated myself on this procedure..so why do I insist on pushing the envelope into the next phase? Heck, it's my own brain and I couldn't tell you what's going onin there most of the time. So for now, I shall remain a good girl for the next 6 days and sip cream Soups :lol0:

ok this might be a silly question...but did your surgeon give you specific guidelines to follow pre-op and you just decided on your own you could handle it?

Edited by goodlife

I strongly, STRONGLY recommend that people follow the doctor's guidelines to the letter. This is a major surgery; just read the stories of those with leaks (or worse), and you'll realize that the potential consequences of not doing what you're supposed to do far outweigh the little surge of pride from "I'm tough! I can eat a whole loaf of bread 2 days post-op!"

Bottom line is, you've only got one body. Treat it right -- do what the doctor says!

Went to the doc for my 2week follow up. I met with the nurse practitioner and proudly announced that I had moved onto mushies and was tolerating the

vey well. After I pulled her off of the ceiling, she lectured me (not in a bad way) about leaks. I know all of this, I educated myself on this procedure..so why do I insist on pushing the envelope into the next phase? Heck, it's my own brain and I couldn't tell you what's going onin there most of the time. So for now, I shall remain a good girl for the next 6 days and sip cream Soups :)

Good for you! You fell off the wagon, had a good lecture, and you are back on the horse. (We could all lecture you, but it sounds like you've learned your lesson.) So for now ... Sip, sip, sip! :lol0:

Could you tell what the lecture would involve about the food and leaks?

I was three weeks out on the 6th and I am eating pretty well everything (in small amounts) but NO beef. I have not had any problems but could I still get a leak? Russ

ONLY something my physician said. . . he said that if you haven't experienced a leak after 1 week, your not going to experience one. . . ONLY the words of my physician whom I trust completely. . . I moved ahead to mushies in week 2 as well. . .no leaks here. . .now at 3 months out i can eat whatever except for potatoes, rice, Pasta, bread, and beef. . . ground beef is ok. . . but it seems EVERYONES doctor is different, just follow your own doctors advices and you should be fine. . . good luck!

Thinoneday said no potatoes, rice, Pasta, bread... how come???

I have been eating potatoes (mashed) rice (not much, just a little when I was at an East Indian friend's house) and bread (a half a slice of ww toast with my egg in the morning since two weeks out.

Thanks Russ

Thinoneday said no potatoes, rice, Pasta, bread... how come???

I have been eating potatoes (mashed) rice (not much, just a little when I was at an East Indian friend's house) and bread (a half a slice of ww toast with my egg in the morning since two weeks out.

Thanks Russ

Well like I said it was my doctors ADVISE because he felt that those 4 things are the worst for carb content (plus unless they are cooked extremely well, they tend to swell and cause alot of pain) along with bananas (41g carbs per banana) But once again it was my doctors words not mine. . but i do follow his words. . .

It is interesting how everybody's doctor is different. Mine told me I could eat whatever I could tolerate from Day One, and I've done fine.

Lol... I have talked to several people I know, all of which have been sleeved. Most started mushies at two weeks...I thought I would follow suite. No big deal. What mushies I ate were definately mushie...I know what the doc told me, I shouldve listened, but I am ok. I will start my mushies in Monday. Like a naughty child, I thought I'd get away with it. :001_smile:

Lol... I have talked to several people I know, all of which have been sleeved. Most started mushies at two weeks...I thought I would follow suite. No big deal. What mushies I ate were definately mushie...I know what the doc told me, I shouldve listened, but I am ok. I will start my mushies in Monday. Like a naughty child, I thought I'd get away with it. :)

I was on soft foods during the first week. Doctors all have their own opinons which is why we are often told to get a second opinion or even a third :)

I followed the Cornell University guidelines for the most part and it worked well for me.

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf