Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speak up those with leaks & infections!

Stoongal, I am appalled by many of the experiences being described in this thread. I'm not questioning the accuracy of your statements about the training/lack of training of the various individuals that you mentioned, but for the sake of those who might think that this information you are providing is merely heresay, could you tell us how/where you got the information you are reporting? Establishing some solid groundwork for the facts may help others who are considering their surgical options make informed decisions. Thanks.

Oh come on katt......read the threads. She is the sister of the woman who has been in the hospital for 4 months, in ICU a good portion of that time, barely surviving a botched surgery.

Yeah, I think the gloves should be off. Because this website can provide the kind of service and information that candidates for sleeve surgery are seeking and that includes any bad stories about any doctor or clinic. There are so many to choose from. Why would anyone put their life in jeapordy with that outfit? It's always been said that you get what you pay for. Well with a blouse, cheaper might do the trick. But with your life? Get real.

I too believe that we should be able to voice the good and bad about a particular place, but I think it is important to do so in a way that doesn't imply that those who did or are going there are stupid. They deserve a place to go to for support as much as any of us.

Oh come on katt......read the threads. She is the sister of the woman who has been in the hospital for 4 months, in ICU a good portion of that time, barely surviving a botched surgery.

I'm not sure why anyone would assume that I haven't read the threads. Let's try to be more polite in our posts. I have read the threads, and based on the fact that we have the Patient Coordinator for a particular facility alleging that legal action is being taking against people for spreading false information via the internet, and based on the fact that this same person is attempting to minimize and discredit legitimate concerns by suggesting that individuals are only expressing their "opinions" or "misrepresenting" the truth, or spreading "heresay", I think it is reasonable to begin asking people to state the source of their information.

Being the sister of a patient does not necessarily provide anyone with detailed information about people's credentials/training or lack thereof. Being the sister of a patient whose family may have acquired background information through legitimate sources in the process of taking legal action might.

I am not attempting to defend this facility, on the contrary, I am horrified by the reports I have heard. Also, I am not questioning the veracity of Stoongal's statements. I am asking her to state her source of information. If there is no room for debate about the credentials of the persons mentioned, then let's make that entirely clear and begin closing ranks in a responsible manner.

Hi Katt,

Sorry - was babysitting this afternoon, so didn't get to all this til now.

You asked about my sources. Well, until this is resolved legally in a court where it will all come out, I can't yet name names - however these several sources I can guarantee have all worked in and around and with the Betancout crew and were privvy to his secrets.

I would not post these things if I wasn't assured that they are so!

But anyone with eyes that goes there can tell these are not professionals. On the job experience is all they have and it just isn't enough when things go wrong, yes, they can give injections and try and put in IV lines etc. and remove drains but they are not trained for emergencies and complication detection. So many have been failed in their aftercare as a result with devastating results. A crash cart is just not enough.

Donna

This post was made in response to Katt's above.

By the same token, I asked one poster who was saying that he had a successful surgery at that facility with no complications, to give us more information about himself. His story sounded very sketchy and no more information corroborating his story or establishing his credibility was ever posted.

I suppose there is enough competition for sleeve business south of the border that a number of people could be employed to discredit one particular clinic, but that seems highly unlikely. I also suppose that since that clinic is offering surgery at an incredibly reduced price, it would motivate the other clinics to hire people to discredit it as well. But that also seems highly unlikely.

It seems much more likely that the detailed descriptions that we've read of certain patient's bad experiences there, are not made up. When a business cuts its' prices to thousands below everyone else everywhere, there must be some compromises made somewhere. And compromises in the health care business obviously carry risks.

On top of all that, the positive comments that have been posted about that clinic just don't seem to be all that convincing. Sorry I know you would like for everyone to stay real positive about all this - and that was my initial take on the matter. But it's hard to stay positive and give people the benefit of the doubt when the evidence keeps piling up.

We all can assess for ourselves whether we believe the posts of those who have been harmed. And we can also assess the credibility of those who have come to the defense of that clinic.

We shouldn't criticize anyone for believing anything. We have free will and our own experience and intelligence to rely on. And I do agree that there is value in keeping a civil tongue, rather keyboard, but it's a free country and we're all allowed to voice our opinions whether anyone agrees with us or not.

By the way, if it is someday proven that the clinic in question has been maligned terribly and that everyone who has posted his or her bad experiences has lied, I will be the first to apologize to the clinic and doctor for having believed the worst.

Nothing would make me happier because right now I am scared to death for the people who choose to use them. And if I have used strong language it is because I am so afraid for innocent patients putting themselves in a potentially dangerous situation.

I am curious.... what legal recourse do patients that have been harmed have? I don't know much about international law and even less about the Mexican legal system. How does it all work?

Where is TiffanyIsMajor? Is she ok? I hope everything is ok with her...

She is fine. Just back to school and busy : )

That would be wonderful in a perfect world but unfortunately there are people who have ulterior motives for dispensing false information. It becomes very difficult to decipher what is true and what isn't, what is someone's opinion and hearsay versus what is fact.

As someone who is new to the forum this can go both ways. It sometimes appears as if some posters may be employed by some facilities to boost patients.

Not everyone is going to have a 100% positive experience. These boards are to get others opinions and experiences.

I have an advantage of having a medical background. But, I am still researching who I want to do my surgery. Because this surgery is life altering but by no means is it immediately a life saving procedure. This is not like going to hospital with a heart attack and needing life saving surgery. This is still an elective procedure. That is why a good surgeon will make sure you are cleared by a cardiologist if you have high blood pressure. Or a pulmonary clearance if you have asthma. These are guidelines put in place for a reason. Not, just to make money for another Dr.

If you can't come to a public forum to hear the good, bad, ugly and fantastic results people are having why bother even having the forums?

Donna, thank you for sharing what information you are able to at this point. I hope what you have been able to reveal gives surgical candidates more information to help them in the process of making careful choices. I'm very sad about Linda's experience, and I hope she is improving. I am relieved to hear that some of these issues may be addressed in court, and I hope that this will result in more surgical facilities being required to meet minimum standards for patient care and being closely monitored in an effort to reduce medical errors.

Donna, didn't your sister do her own post on here somewhere? Katt might like to read that one. Thanks,

I am curious.... what legal recourse do patients that have been harmed have? I don't know much about international law and even less about the Mexican legal system. How does it all work?

These are very good questions. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to file a lawsuit against a doctor or clinic in Mexico if you live in Canada.

We have lots of legal difficulties between the USA and Mexico within the confines of the governmental agencies. They seem almost impossible to resolve. One can't help but wonder what it's like for individuals to work within the system to seek redress over a malpractice claim.

Which is one of the first things that came to mind when I was trying to choose a doctor. The attraction for getting surgery in Mexico that is advertised to cost thousands less is tempting at first glance. Especially when you hear of so many people who have gone there and had an acceptable outcome. But when you think of how complicated it could become if anything untoward happened while you were in that country, it seems that you're not only taking a chance on the doctors and hospitals but you're also taking a chance that if you do have a problem, bad things can become magnified a hundred times over.

And you may think that I am criticizing those who have chosen to go to Mexico for surgery. I am definitely NOT criticizing anyone for making that choice. I'm only speaking for me. I totally understand why people make that choice.

Before I had the sleeve, I had the band and I read so many, many stories about patients who came back from Mexico needing follow up care and having trouble finding a stateside doctor who was willing to treat them. Many times they paid more for their fills and post-surgical follow up visits than those people who got their surgery from those same doctors.

So it might be interesting to see the actual total costs of surgery and aftercare 5 years post-op for Americans who've opted for surgery in Mexico vs. the total for surgery and medical care for 5 years for those who had both surgery and aftercare in the U.S.