Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all, I hope I am doing this forum thing right!! I have never joined one of these, but I am wanting to because I'm gearing up for sleeve surgery, and am wanting to meet people who have done it, or who are getting ready for it as well.

I am a 34 year old single mom, and my bmi is 58. I'm waiting for the call from the surgeon to get my sleeve scheduled. I have done all the pre-op, and have been told it will be within the next couple of weeks. I'm having it done fairly locally (3 hours away), and I'm getting really excited and nervous!!

Please share your stories, and advise, I would love to meet you!!

Hi newbie. I'm new here too. I've been here before and read posts but have never posted myself.

I have a lapband and am scheduled for removal and revision to the sleeve later this month.

I am nervous. It's a big step, but everyone whose posts I've read seem to be very pro sleeve. Is this your first surgery?

It's my first bariatric surgery. I had a breast reduction several years ago. I've always wanted gastric surgery, but insurance would never cover it. So I finally decided to do self pay. I've had friends who have had bypass and lapband, but I've never met anyone who has had the sleeve. I'm a little nervous about the permanance of it all, but at the same time, I think it is the best option available.

How long have you had your lapband? Why are you doing a revision?

I was too afraid to do something permanent and so I got the band. I was absolutely positive that I could make it work. But alas, it was always too loose or too tight and when it was too tight I was in pain all the time.

I had an attack of ischemic colitis in the summer of '08 and they removed all the restriction. Six months later I had some fill put back in and couldn't seem to get any restriction after 3 different fills. I had an upper G.I. and it didn't show a hernia or slipped band so I'm not sure what has happened. So I'm getting the sleeve.

Everyone I have spoken with or read their posts who've gotten the sleeve, sounds very happy with the results and most of them had similar or worse stories than mine with the band.

I think you're fortunate that you're not wasting your time and money on the band. Did you decide on the sleeve because your friends with the band didn't have a lot of success? I was a self-pay with the band and mostly self-pay with the sleeve.

I haven't been able to read anywhere here how long the post-op diet lasts. I am sure we'll be on Clear liquids for a while and then heavier liquids and then mushies, etc. But I have no idea if we're talking 1 week, 3 weeks or 2 months.

If your doctor is as good as mine, you will have an easy go of it. Everyone says that the sleeve surgery and recovery isn't as bad as with the band. Well my band recovery was a breeze. Some soreness, shoulder pain from the gas they use to see your organs and that's about it. I brought home pain meds from the hospital but didn't take one ever.

Welcome, we are glad to have you join us. You will find pretty much everyone here is very happy with their choice to have the sleeve. I know it is something I have never once regretted. Look around, and don't be afraid to ask questions, we are here to help.

Thanks Susan!!

I did a lot of research, and decided the sleeve was the best for me. I like that it reduces the hunger hormone. I am hungry ALL THE TIME! That's why I fail all diets. I do good for a short while, then I starve and binge. My surgeon thinks it's the best one for me too.

As far as the diet, the dietition told me that it will be Clear Liquids for a week. Then I get to start adding foods. Day 8 is "egg day" I get to have an egg, but people I've talked to said I won't be able to finish it. I LOVE eggs, so the fact that I won't want to finish it really excites me!!!! Then it's tofu, and other soft foods for awhile. They don't recommend pureeing anything because you basically have to retrain your mouth and stomach. They recommended practicing chewing now, so I chew everything 20-30 times. They also told me baby silverware helps a lot. The opening is only going to be about the size of an M&M, so you have to be really careful.

As far as the liquid diet, you have to get 40-60 grams of protien in a day. I found a nutrition store that let me taste test the Protein drinks, and honestly they aren't that bad. I went with the juice flavored ones. My 9 year old actually likes them too! The protien drinks I've been told are good to continue for several months to make sure you get your Protein in. The dietician or dr should give you more information on how long it lasts. From what I understand, you are basically going to start introducing regular foods after the first week. But some foods you won't be able to handle for several months, like raw vegatables, and some meats.

My surgery should be scheduled any day, I'm super excited to start the liqued diet actually! I have to do it for two weeks before the surgery to shrink my liver, and lose some pounds. That will be the hard part. I'm sure I will starve to death!! But the outcome will be so worth it!!!

Amy

Good luck with your planning Amy!

My only regret is that I didn't know about it sooner! It is a wonderful tool : )

Thanks Amy! I appreciate the info.

You sound excited. I am too. Hope you get your surgery date soon. Waiting is hard.

pnw218, I don't know how tall you are but our weight is in the same range. I hope I am as successful as you have been in your first month!

pnw218, I don't know how tall you are but our weight is in the same range. I hope I am as successful as you have been in your first month!

I am 5'4". The shortest in my family: parents, siblings, children. LOL My youngest daughter, 15, is over 5'9 ... and 130 lbs. Brat! : )

Thank you about the "success". I am sure you will do great! It is an awesome tool!!

Well you're a couple of inches taller than I am. So you weren't quite as chubby as I am. I was always the smallest in my family when I was growing up and as a young adult. When I was 42 I started putting on weight and grew steadily and dieted in a serial fashion until I reached my all time high. When I got up to 220, I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did. Guess my metabolism was totally confused by then.

I have a daughter and son who are slender. She's 5'4" and weighs around 118 and my son is 6'1" and probably 155. It's very hard to be an obese mom of two good-looking and not overweight kids. I'm sure their friends all wonder what happened to me. My kids are one reason I look forward to being normal again. I thought the band would be just the right tool for me, but that didn't turn out well for me. Now I'm hoping I can do what I need to do with the sleeve surgery.

I've read lots of success stories, like yours, about the sleeve. But I read lots of success stories about lap bandsters before I got that. So I am really nervous about my ability to make it work for me. I don't have much confidence and I have, of course, lots of bad habits to break.

When I was slim, I really ate very little, and I was happy and felt great. So I am thinking that if that's the way I feel with the sleeve, I will be so happy that I will be successful. I just hope to heck that I'm not kidding myself!