Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been on a cleaning rampage for days. I cleaned my entire garage, the basement...and now we have reached my closet.

Last year my husband and I bought the house of our dreams. :thumbup: One of the big selling features (to me) was our closet. It is huge (considering the house was built in 1929). I walked in to start taking out all those size 20s, 18s, 16s and even 14s.

I can't do it. I don't know why. I don't know if it is simply the fear of gaining it back or the fear of having nothing. (I know that sounds ridiculous, but I am just being *real* here.) I don't have many size 12s (what fits me now) because I don't want to be a size 12. I want to be a 6 or 8 (or 4 or 2! LOL). I am a stay at home mom of two little ones that runs a business from home, but I rarely have to dress up. Most days I wear my work out clothes (which is fine with me for now). I need to get rid of all these huge clothes-they don't fit. But for some reason I have this fear-or maybe it is even a bit of guilt? I don't know. Guilt because we have spent all this money on clothing and I am donating it all? (I like NICE clothes...shopping is my thing!) That also sounds ridiculous, but I am trying to figure out what that nagging feeling is and I can't quite figure it out.

Anyone else or am I nuts? :) :thumbup1:

You are not nuts. You are stuck in the mindset of "I've lost before and gained it back". That's what has happened most of our lives. But, this time it's different. You are NEVER going to need those clothes again.

So go ahead ... donate those nice clothes (& get your tax receipt). Know that you are giving someone else a chance to look nice while you are working on making yourself a healthier individual. You go girl!

Good luck lady! These mental battles are the hardest part, but the conquering of these will be the difference this time. This will be our LIVES instead of the diet we are doing. We all have a tendency to hold onto things that are comfortable and safe in our lives because we know them. Focus on how amazing it is that your booty won't ever have to be in a size 20 again! Good for you.

Here might be another idea for you, that won't be so terrifying.

If you belong to a weight loss support group, start a clothing exchange. Members bring the clothes that are too large for them now to the meetings. Members that haven't quite lost that much weight yet, can get the benefit of wearing them as they move down in sizes. You also will be able to benefit from others clothing. Saves money from the varying degree of sizes that we will and do go through and the clothes are shared among those who truly need clothing to get to the goal weight.

:001_rolleyes:

The support groups in Tucson came up with this idea several years ago. And it seems to be very successful.

Just another idea thrown your way.:thumbup1:

I know, it is hard when it is something you bought that is NICE and good quality. I keep trying to wear stuff that is too big and I look ridiculous. I haven't bought much either. I've tried to look at how to cut stuff down, but I'm clueless too.

I guess eventually you'll get rid of it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe start with the bigger clothes.

OR MAKE A QUILT...you can give it to a quilt maker and they can make you some nice things.

I do a few things with my clothes.

1. Donate to the Aids Thrift Store. I love knowing that people can go get free Aids testing.

2. Take things to a monthly OH luncheon that I go to.

3. Sell them at a Large Size Consignment shop that my friends own.

4. I send them to a friend back east.

I did a lot of closet cleaning pre-op of things that I hadn't worn for awhile that I hoped I wouldn't fit into for long. Now that the 22's are too big and I can fit into 16 or 18 pants, it's time to do it again.

What a lovely dilemma....clothes too big!! Although you have ton of suggestions and support but if you don't mind I have one for suggestion for donation:

Groups like dress for success and Career Closet help women re-entering the work force and they are usually desperate for plus sized clothes. Just another option for you.

Ps...I have to admit I wish I had a little bit of spring cleaning fever!! My condo could use a good turn with the broom....perhaps I'll be inspired!

Citygal, Oh my goodness. Thank you for reminding me about Dress for Success. I have a lot of business type clothing. I'll remember to donate to them! Thank you again and good luck with your revision!

It took me months to get rid of my clothes, and you know what, I held onto 3-4 of my old bras. I assure everyone that I will never again wear those, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. I also kept one shirt that I wore under a blazer/jacket at my insurance job, but now it looks like a dress on me. Well, I can't get rid of it either. I don't know why, but it's in there.

I finally sucked it up one day, and took a bunch of my business clothes to the woman's shelter here, and some of the other stuff to Goodwill, and our church mission store.

I took 8/39 gallon lawn and leaf bags in all. I cried when I dropped them off. My wardrobe was a huge part of me, literally. I prided myself on looking good regardless of what size I was wearing. Anyways, it was the best feeling in the world having that empty closet, and then the shopping that has since commenced to restock the closet.