Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone started mushies early? I'm 11 days out and have had some mashed potato, carrot and malt o meal. I'm tolerating it just fine, just curious if anyone else has done the same?

Congratulations on getting Sleeved!!

I waited until my NUT cleared me to move to pureed foods. I figured that I couldn't see what was happening to my staple line and my tender little Sleeve. I didn't want to risk hurting myself. I figure there's a reason why most NUT's keep us on clear and full liquids for the first two weeks so I respected that. I knew I'd have plenty of time to eat those mushy foods.

My clear liquid stage allowed thinned Cream of Wheat or Grits and plain yogurt as well as Soup, so it wasn't too difficult to follow. I didn't have any hunger or interest in food until day 10 when a little hunger returned.

Be careful! I'm eight days out and starting to experience some hunger and I am OVER Protein Shakes, but its worth waiting it out. Look at your tummy, those sutures aren't healed and they aren't having to deal with stomach acids and other liquids so who knows what your actual stomach sutures look like. It'll be worth it. Hang on!

My doctor starts you on full liquids as soon as you get out of the hospital. He includes malt o meal and mashed potatoes in mushies and long as they are thin.

I was having potato Soup, yogurt, mashed potatoes and farina Cereal by the end of the first week. Not very much at a time, but enough to make me feel better.

I mainly followed the Cornell University guidelines. http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Everyone is different. I certainly wouldn't over do it or add anything too substantial. Listen to your body and act accordingly.

So probably the best advice is go with what your doctor says.

Thanks everyone. The things I have been eating are very thin and I chew til there is nothing left to chew. I went to diiner last nite with the family and thought a musher carrot and bite of potato would be better than a heavy cream Soup ( that's all they had). I'm not crazy enough to go wild and try chicken or anything that solid, but have needed a "chew" :)

My doctor starts you on full liquids as soon as you get out of the hospital. He includes malt o meal and mashed potatoes in mushies and long as they are thin.

White potatoes are the worst, esp on glycemic index. What kind of doctor suggests potatoes? NO breads, Cookies, crackers, Pasta. I mean come on people, you are fat because you ate this stuff to begin with, why try to cheat the 30 day post op diets and eat crap?

weight.png

Wow. That's all I can say.

seriously. and here all this time I thought potatoes were good for you ... minus the butter, sour cream, bacon, etc.

Be Look at your tummy, those sutures aren't healed and they aren't having to deal with stomach acids and other liquids so who knows what your actual stomach sutures look like. It'll be worth it. Hang on!

This may be the best advice I've heard since my surgery. I haven't had anything but Clear Liquids since March 23 and I am DYING to have something more, but this is a great reminder not to rush things. I'll get to soft foods and "real" foods soon enough.

Lol Edz i went to a movie tonite with my daughter and all those people with the crunchy popcorn!!! Ugh, I got through it because it wasn't my stomach that was hungry, but my brain. Something about movies and popcorn, but I did it! So I came home and heated up some black bean soup! Yum! It really is hard being on full liquids, bit this is a marathon not a sprint, I have to keep telling myself...btw, we have the same sleeve date!

seriously. and here all this time I thought potatoes were good for you ... minus the butter, sour cream, bacon, etc.

My thoughts exactly.. They do come from mother earth;). They are ok in moderation, don't think I could eat a whole potato with all the trimmings if you held a gun to my head!

All I can say ladies, is consider the source where that comment came from and you should all feel 100% better! Good luck girldep and keep up the good work. . . as long as your losing that is all that matters here. . . "whatever" else wants to play Gandhi can go right ahead. . .

All I can say ladies, is consider the source where that comment came from and you should all feel 100% better! Good luck girldep and keep up the good work. . . as long as your losing that is all that matters here. . . "whatever" else wants to play Gandhi can go right ahead. . .

Oh, the comment came for a man, so that must be bad or the "source" as you call it.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk with my comment, however you are going to have to train yourself to eat better within this first 6-12 months, because it's extremely difficult to lose more weight after this period. My wife had surgery in 2001 and went from 308 to 155, but now sit at 220. She eats like a bird and still can't lose the weight, despite exercise.

Here is the basis for my point: I met this lady in Mexico that had her lap band removed, after 5 years, due to erosion. She had lost over 100 lbs to something like 115 now, but had put 30lbs back on. She went to Mexico to have her band adjusted she thought, but due to erosion, it was just removed and she was sent home to let her stomach heal. She told us that night she went to KFC to have chicken and who knows what else. She also said that for 5 years she has figured that since she could not eat more than a few bites at a time that she was eating whatever food she wanted, mostly bad foods. So my point here is that she never learned to eat healthy. She basically got a band so she could eat less of whatever she wanted. That is a terrible mindset to be in and now that her band is gone, her weight gain is inevitable.

It is not going to kill you to have some soft foods early, potatoes, grits, etc... It's the continuation of these bad foods that is going to defeat you years from now.

weight.png