Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I about 34 hours post op, and not doing so good. I was feeling okay about 3 hours ago and decided to leave the hospital. Now that I am at home I can't get down my anti-nausea med and pain med. There is just no room. Every sip feels like it get stuck and there is pain in my chest. Also, I feel like the gas pain is getting worse my chest too. Will all this pass soon? Should I wait it out at home, or go back to the hospital?

Thanks

Hi Andrea,

Everything will get better. Are your pain meds liquid or pill? If they are pill, I would call your doctor and ask for a liquid pain script. As far as the anti-nausea, I didn't take anything so I don't know about that.

For the gas, the most important thing you can do is get up on your feet and walk around. Walk as much as you can. Everytime someone called to check on me, I took the phone and just walked around the entire time. It may take a couple of days but the gas will get better daily. Do you have any Gas-X strips? I used a couple of those, but mostly took Carbo Vegetabilis a homeopathic remedy for bloating and gas.

Just keep sipping and walking as much as you can. I came home about 28 hours post-op and was so relieved to get those nurses off my back. We're all different. Call your doctor if you feel more comfortable and try to get in those pain meds so that you can sleep. sleep will be great for your healing process.

Sending hugs your way. We all understand how you're feeling. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

My hardest night was definitely the 2nd night post op. I was at the recovery house by then and had alot of anxiety.

Try to relax, use an ice pack on your head, the back of your neck and on your abdomen if there is pain there. 20 minutes, then take it off or move it somewhere else.

A liquid pain med might be better, like Lee said. Swallowing pills was a challenge.

It really will get better quickly every day.

Yes, you will get through it! The 2nd day/night is indeed the hardest. If you could have stayed until the 3rd day, that might have been better... However, you're home now, so just keep walking and sipping and know that you'll be ok! Also, something that I took with me to Mexico, and have used here and there since returning home is a nice, warm, heatpad. If you have one, try putting it on a low heat, on your tummy, and that will feel great.

We're here for you! :o

Edited by youknowit