Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the band done about 5 years ago. I have had nothing but trouble the entire time. The first fill I went for was unable to be done because My port had come loose. So, I had to have surgery again to fix the problem. I then was pretty successful after that. From Oct to July I lost about 90 lbs then in August I started having problems and then found out that my band had slipped so in less than a year my port came off then my band slipped. Need I mention insurance does not cover my procedures. After having my band repaired I have had no luck and felt horrible. I have gained 60 of the 90 lbs back. I just went yesterday and had what Fluid I had in taken out because I constantly felt bad. Always having heart burn, not sleeping at night due to reflux even when eating by 5 and not going to bed until 10:30. My doctor feels that I should remove the band and go to the sleeve.

My first reaction was absolutely not because that's permanent. I had never heard of the sleeve before yesterday. I have been researching today and it excites me and scares me to death all at one time. Can anyone that has had problems with the band and moved to the sleeve tell me about your experience. My fear is what if I do it and then have heart burn and reflux constantly. Then it's permanent. Atleast with the band I could remove my Fluid. I'd rather be fat and feel good than skinny and miserable. Has anyone had problems of reflux or heart burn with the sleeve. It just scared me to death to think of having my stomach cut out.:thumbup:

Edited by trouble

I had a band revised to the sleeve in June 2009. I take Prilosec 20mg once daily to prevent any acid issues, and have taken it since about 6 weeks post-op. I have had zero issue with acid reflux.

Take some time to research gastrectomies one for stomach cancer, or ulcerative conditions. I did a lot of research before I decided VSG was the way to go because I felt the same way about being fat and happy instead of skinny and miserable. BUT, let me tell ya, I am now skinny and elated. I have zero regrets with my decision. The band and sleeve are like night and day.

For me, I wanted something permanent. I wanted the deck to be stacked in my favor. I figured I really didn't need that huge, stretchy part of my stomach that allowed me to eat huge portions of food. I can honestly tell you I don't miss that old habit one bit.

My cliff note version of my band to sleeve goes like this kind of:

Band in October 2008

Lost 23-25lbs the first couple of months

Complications started from the flipped port

Couldn't get a fill even under fluoro, Band doctor sucked, left his practice March 2009

Started researching revision options.

Chose VSG instead of a port revision

VSG revision June 3, 2009

Had a leak found on June 5th (now don't get scared, remember my port was not accessible under fluoro or ultrasound, so I could not have the Fluid (3-4cc in a 10cc band) removed. Plus, the port actually migrated around in my abdomen, and was causing the tubing to tug on my stomach tissue.)

Longer recovery

Stuck with the dietary guidelines for 4 months

600-800 calories per day some days I barely hit 600

never anymore than 30grams of carbs

60+grams of Protein

Dropped 80lbs, surgeon and I discuss that my loss is extremely rapid so we revamp my eating. Increased carbs a little increased a little.

Goal of 150lbs reached around 6.5 months post-op. I started at 263 the day of my revision. 270 was my pre-op band weight.

I am currently trying to maintain at this point. I've fallen below goal, but I'm only 5'2" and am still in a healthy weight range at 127lbs.

I feel fabulous, my energy level is through the roof. My overall mindset has changed drastically. I sometimes forget I had surgery because I literally just enjoy life. I eat whatever I want, just in smaller portions. I don't overindulge often, but I refuse to deprive myself.

If you have any specifics questions, or need a shoulder to lean on, please feel free to contact me. I had a hellacious recovery, but like I've said many times, I would do it all again to live the life I am living right now.

Stay positive, and have faith in yourself and your surgeon. Keep us updated with your progress.

Also, there are other band to sleeve revision patients that you may like to contact.

*susan* (she's a moderator here)

3636Millie

OregonDaisy

Shontel

Annak4

There's actually a lot of band to sleeve revision patients here that can share their stories with you. You can find those members profiles and contact information by clicking on the "MEMBERS" tab at the top of the forum, then you can message them. Everyone here is really great, and we'll be your biggest cheerleaders from a distance.

I'm a "revisionist" too. The doc that put in my band is the one that mentioned taking it out. I lost 50/lbs with it right away, then nothing for 3 more years. I started having vague abdominal pains the first part of last year and found out I did have gall stones, but that wasn't really the problem. I was not thrilled with the band, but didn't know about the sleeve yet. When I went to my band doc to make sure it was OK due to the pain I was having he told me a lot of band patients end up having to have it removed or replaced 3-5 yrs after their initial surgery. Wish I had known that 4 years ago, but no one really knew about it in 2006.

Since I needed my gall bladder removed, I made the decision to revise to the sleeve at the same time. I wasn't having major issues, just typical stuff like eating anything some days and not being able to get anything down on others, PB's, etc. But I didn't want to take the chance of having to have another surgery a year from now to do something with the band. When the doc got in there, he found I also had a hiatal hernia close to the band area. I've found this to be very common with people having their bands removed.

I'm very happy with my decision, and being self-pay also, I really thought hard before I did this. I can now eat all the good foods like salads and fruits that I couldn't get down through the band before. One thing I CAN'T eat now is sweets - they make me absolutely nauseated - but that's a good problem to have in my opinion. If your doc feels you're a good candidate for a revision, then it's certainly something you should seriously consider.

Thanks for the info. My doctor that did my band is the one that actually said he thinks I should have the revision. When he first mentioned it I said absolutely not that's permanent and if it screws me up and I feel bad then I'm stuck with it. I had my band done in 2005 so I guess they really didn't know then either. After researching and reading so much on this site and hearing from ya'll I have decided I definately want to do it. Now I just have to save my money. My doctor is willing to know off $3000 of his fee's and let me pay him out but just the hospital cost is outrageous. I have to come up with $13500 to have it done. Now that I've decided I want to do it NOW! So, hopefully I can figure out soon how to pay for it. Thank you so much for the information and sharing your stories with me.

Hi Trouble

Welcome to the forum, and I know you will have tons of replies because of how many people that have done a revision. I had my band for a whopping 9 months! Started having tons of trouble and pain. So within 2 weeks I had flown back to Mexico and had my revision to the sleeve. I can honestly say it is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time!

I have had no heartburn at all! I have been able to eat anything and everything with no problems. I just eat smaller portions!

I know people think that the band is the way to go because it is reversable, well why would you want to reverse a good thing? I like the fact that the sleeve is permanent, I DO NOT want to have another surgery down the road, at least not for weight loss!

Good luck to you, and keep us posted! We care!

With the sleeve I know everyone keeps saying they eat anything they want but can you eat spicy food? That's the one thing I was worried about having to give up permanently. And have I read that I can't drink Diet coke anymore with the sleeve? Just crossing all my T's so I can prepare myself.

Quote:With the sleeve I know everyone keeps saying they eat anything they want but can you eat spicy food? That's the one thing I was worried about having to give up permanently.

I am just 3 weeks out but from what I am experiencing and what I have been told you can eat whatever your tummy will let you.

The soda thing for some time though would not be good, too acidic.

I had a little East Indian food on Sat. - no problem but that is the way my stomach was before.

All the best, Russ!

Edited by Can.sleeved
wrong texting

Well, you're not really supposed to have carbonated beverages due to the carbonation. I haven't heard anything about avoiding acid. As Dr. Jossert (sp?) said, this is not a procedure that leads to ulcers.

Things might be a little different for band-to-sleeve revisions, but my doc has said I can have pretty much whatever I want, once my sleeve is healed. Just in smaller portions.

My favorite is chips and salsa - the spicier the better. No problems here.

There are a bunch of us who are band to sleeve revisions. We are all extremely happy to have the band out and living with the sleeve is effortless. I am glad most of my stomach is gone. All it did was make me fat.

Getting rid of that band was the best thing I could have done for myself.

Trouble

Hey my favorite food is Mexican, the hotter the better! I have not had heartburn even once. I agree with all of the other posters, you can eat all foods! Go read some more posts from people that are band to sleeve, you will not see any complaints!