Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days to go with some last minute questions

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long post, I just have some last minute thoughts/questions.

I can't believe my sleeve date of March 30th is almost here. The last couple of days though I've been having some second thoughts (for lack of a better term) about going through with surgery. At first I was scared of complications, but I'm pretty much over that, although I'm still concerned with after surgery blood clots. Does the hospital usually provide compression stockings or should I go out and buy some? Are you normally given blood thinners after surgery? I don't have any clotting disorders, I'm just scared of the possibility of a blood clot. I know these are questions for my surgeon, but he's impossible to get a hold of.

The main thing I am worried about though is having regret after it's done. I'm worried about my quality of life down the road. I don't ever want to be able to eat the quantity of food I can pack away now, but I don't know if I'll be mentally satisfied eating a half cup to a cup of food for the rest of my life. And while I know beer is empty calories, I might want one again sometime in the future. Same with diet pop or champagne. I don't know if I want to live the rest of my life without ever having carbonation again. I also don't want to live the rest of my life fat more than I want a good meal or carbonated beverages.

So my questions I guess are, will I be able to have a meal (although small) again with more than one kind of food?, will I be able to occasionally have carbonated beverages, and will I be able to do more than just sip Water.

I know that everyone is different, and their experience unique, I'm just trying to get a feel for what may be down the road. My goal with this surgery is to be "normal", a normal weight and eat normal sized portions.

Reading the posts on this board had helped me out so much in the last couple months, and made me feel at ease about my choice to have WLS. I can't believe that it's only 4 days away now!

Thanks,

Andrea

Andrea, you're gonna do great.

I took the compression stockings home with me because they just throw them away after every patient. I received Lovenox

(anti-coagulant) pre op, and post-op.

I promise you will be able to have a regular meal. It'll be small quantities, but you can eat a variety of food once you are cleared, and comfortable with different food options. My dinner last night consisted of 2 ounces of chicken, with alfredo sauce and 1/2cup of angel hair spaghetti noodles. I drink soda occasionally (once to twice a week). I don't like beer, but had a couple sips of champagne without issue. Soda obviously is empty calories, and some think it'll cause the stomach to stretch, but it hasn't changed my sleeve at all. I can't eat anymore now than I could 2-3 months ago. I don't think I eat normal size portions, but my portions are satisfying. If I eat super slow, like 60-90 minutes, I can fit more food in especially slider foods like potatoes, rice, Pasta. I've been limiting my meals to 30-40 minutes because I don't want to start up bad habits again. meat is still capped out at 3-5ounces. Steak (cooked medium), ribs I can get in about 5 ounces. Chicken/ground beef or venison it's about 3-4ounces. I eat 2-3 ounces of meat, some veggies, and I can even eat part of the inside of a soft dinner roll. We went to the local steakhouse, I had 3 small ribs, spinach/artichoke dip with 4 tortilla chips, a few bites of mac-n-cheese, and a few bites of loaded mashed potatoes. I drank wine before my meal, and took a couple of sips during. It took us an 1 hour and 20 minutes to eat all of that between the appetizer of dip/chips, and then dinner came and I finished the rest of my meal. I really don't feel like I'm dieting or missing out on anything. I probably don't eat like most post-ops, but it's what works for me, and it hasn't affected my loss. Just this week, I increased my calories and carbs again, and I've lost 4 pounds. I'm not quite sure I'll ever figure out this maintenance thing. I had the same feelings you are experiencing. I didn't want to feel deprived because I knew that my past behavior when I didn't allow myself to have stuff for a long period of time, I would end up binging on all of my favorites. So, deprivation doesn't work for me. I have been able to keep my indulgences in check, but it's what keeps me sane.

Your concerns are totally normal and I had them too. And I will be honest with you, many of us had regrets immediately following surgery, but not now. At 2 mos out, I can eat anything I want and have had zero issues with food tolerances, other than some foods feel better in my tummy than others now, so I just prefer not to eat some things. Luckily I had given up diet soda a while ago in anticipation of surgery, but I took a few sips of diet rootbeer the other day and all I noticed was quick burping. And don't worry about the quantity of food you can eat as being a problem because you'll be satisfied and won't want anymore. You'll finally feel in control of your food choices and one day you're going to realize that food doesn't mean that much anymore anyway. Good luck on a great recovery! You won't regret it.

I was questioning surgery in the final days as well, but it was mostly a frustration with myself that I couldn't lose the weight on my own. The mental after the surgery is the hardest for me - there are definitely things that I miss early on however most should be ok in a few months.

I have had a few sips of pop - both flat and fresh. It really didn't taste that good either way and I am over missing it. I have also had a few sips of a margarita and wine. Granted I had very little, but it went down just fine.

The clinic I went to wrapped your lower legs instead of using compression socks, which I really liked. It felt much more even and firm, and stayed put for a couple of days. I use compression socks when I fly and may decide to start wrapping my legs for long flights instead. However, I am also hoping the swelling issue will go away with the extra weight.

Blood clots were my greatest fear. I was so worried about the flight home. I had to look at the odds tho and realize that many people are having surgery every day in Mexico and then flying home. If people were dropping dead on a regular basis either during or after their flight, it would be news.

Stuff does happen tho, anywhere, anytime, to anyone. To me, the risk was worth the benefit.

Good Luck with your surgery! The first couple of days are lousy, but you will get better quickly and every day!

Hi Andrea...

Your almost there!!! I am having a lot of the same thoughts... but everytime I have to burn with "fat shame" I feel better about my decision. It's scary, and I do love to eat. I'm going through with it because I really really want to have the life I've always wanted. Hang in there and keep us posted!!!!!

Stacey

Thanks to all of you for writing me back. It has made me feel a lot better.

I'm just a little under 12 hours away from surgery now, and I'm nervous, anxious, and very very scared. I actually can't believe that it's almost time, I've been thinking about this surgery everyday for months!

This board has been so informative, helpful, and inspirational for me. Reading everyone's posts helped has really helped me feel comfortable about my decision to have the sleeve. Also, I went into this wanting a lap band, and you guys have made me realize how lucky I was to have found out about the sleeve before going that route.

I have come to terms with my decision to do this. I have made peace with the fact that I'll never be able to gorge myself for pleasure again, but it's about time I found another form of pleasure. I'll be 30 in two weeks, and I'm looking forward to starting a new decade of life without weight and constant dieting being an issue.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope to post really soon from the sleeved side. :confused1:

Andrea

Achopp, I've been on this board like a mad woman. It's my only solace and form of support. I actually can't wait to be able to be satisfied with 2 oz or so of food. (smile) I seem to have a bottomless pit.

I think that you will find pleasure in other things like you mentioned. Shopping will be more fun, exercising will become easier, your self esteem will go higher. dinner with friends will become more about the ambiance and conversation and sharing memories than , "Hmmm...what can I order that will give me the most side items? and What drinks are Free Refills or 2 for 1"

I really think you're going to love to sit back and just feel satisfied and healthy with a few bites of this and a few sips of that. You're going to look at everyone around you stuffing their faces and groaning because of heartburn, feeling overly stuffed, upset stomachs, spending $7 on a drink, $9 on an appetizer, $18 on an entree and $6 on a dessert! And you my friend, will have spent nothing, because you will have taken a bite of everyone else's and be satisfied. (Big Smile)

You should be out of surgery as I'm typing this and I can't wait to hear back from you. Sent with love and well wishes for a super speedy recovery!

Andrea

How did it go!!!!! We're dying to hear

Stacey :thumbup: