Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbe, needs help & info.

Hi All,

I have decided to do the Sleeve, just beginning my journey. It will probably be early fall before I can get my surgery. I need some help & information from you.

1. I would like to hear from Sleevers that had/or have diabetes. Has getting the sleeve affected your diabetes? If so how?

2. Has your weightloss been to your liking?

3. how long does it take before you can eat normal food?

Sorry, don't have first hand knowledge about diabetes but know my husband got his in check just by losing 20 lbs. I am sure there are people here who can tell you what happened with them.

The weight loss is amazing! I was one of those who started at a lower BMI so I really didn't expect to lose 25 pounds this quickly. I had a hard time actually picking a goal weight because I didn't really know what was reasonable. I chose a goal by visiting a website that provided the healthy weight ranges for someone with a small to medium build. I would be happy to hit the 130's, going just a little under would be a bonus!

Depends what your definition of normal food is : ) For me, I was fairly progressive about moving to new foods and I have not had any issues. I make sure it is mushed first or I chew alot before swallowing. Newly introduced foods cause my tummy to gurgle but everything has settled for the most part. Some people stick to a very stringent liquid diet but that didn't work for me.

I liked the Cornell University plan the best. You can find it at: http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

There are a few people here who have used it and posted that they liked it. I am now eating most anything I want, within reason and in very small quantities. You definitely do not want to overfill your stomach. A couple of times I have taken just one or two more bites to finish my 2 ounce serving, and it was too much. No citrus fruit or juice or spicy foods - it hurt my stomach before surgery; no nuts, things with seeds. No raw veggies or salad. Have had a couple of sips of a margarita but it was when I had a decent amount of food in my tummy.

Everyone is different. Take lots of notes and then see what works best for you and adjust to that. No matter what you ask, you will often get two very different opinions. Its like religion, politics or having a new baby! : ) Good luck with your research! I hope your eventual surgery goes smoothly!

I was talking with my doctor and he says that not all who have diabetes are cured through the weight loss. He also said that if you are diabetic and insulin dependent that you are less likely to have your diabetes cured. He was also very careful to say that there is not an awful lot of studies done with Sleevers.

I am type 2 diabetes and even if it isn't cured the weight loss far outweighs anything else.

John