Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello

My name is Michelle and I'm new to this forum. I started my WLS journey in Oct 09, when I had my first consultation in Luton, England. I'm due to see my doctor on Friday, 26th March 2010 when he should tell me the date for my surgery. I'm still not sure if the VS is for me or I should have the bypass. I've read so much about the VS and therefore leaning towards it. The bypass scares me, because of the re-arranging of the intestines. I want this to be the answer and yet I know it's a tool and requires me to work with it. However, there is a little voice inside my head that doubts that I can do it, that I can loose all my weight that has destroyed my life so far.

I want to stop my emotional eating, is VS the answer to this?

Thanks

Michelle xx:crying:

weight.png

Edited by mcteez

Hi and welcome to VST.

The sleeve will only keep you from eating large portions in one sitting. You can still suck down a 3000 calorie milkshake if you really want to do so. They operate on our stomachs, not our brains. None of the weight loss surgeries will fix our emotional or mental tie with food. All of them can be eaten around, or cheated. The bypass scared me too, and the pure fact that only 30% of RNY patients dump on sugary/carby food is not much of a guarantee to me to keep my hand out of the cookie jar. Plus, all the Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies were definitely a concern. Blind stomach portion left behind that can get cancer and ulcers, yet isn't easily scoped. The malabsorption only lasts a max of about 2 years and then your body adjusts and starts absorbing carbs/calories/fat, but not the vitamins/supplements. The regain stats, and how many people seek a revision with RNY, and the people I know in real life that struggle with their RNY that are out 4-8 years, kept me away from RNY.

The sleeve definitely helps you make better food choices. Protein is priority 1, so eat that first, and you won't have room for other junk. But, the choice is yours to make when it comes to what you put in your body. It's not always easy, but it's worth it.

You'll have to find a coping mechanism/tool to work on your emotional eating. We all had to battle some sort of issue during our journey.

Best wishes with your approaching appointment, and keep us posted on what you decide.

Thanks Tiffykins. I know you are right and will discuss all my issues with my surgeon tomorrow. I've been so up and down with this; one miniute wanting the surgery, then the next thinking that I can do this by myself (LOL, sure right?).

I feel the thing that scares me the most is who I'm going to be if I loose all this weight. I know I'll be me, but what will it do to me?

Thanks

Michelle x

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to VST. I really don't have anything to add to what Tiffy said, but I do want to say.... I love my Sleeve! Good luck and I hope to see you here often!

I've been so up and down with this; one miniute wanting the surgery, then the next thinking that I can do this by myself (LOL, sure right?).

I feel the thing that scares me the most is who I'm going to be if I loose all this weight. I know I'll be me, but what will it do to me?

Hi Michelle

I'm at the same stage you are really - I've had consults with 2 surgeons and now need to choose one...I'm also weighing up the balance between spending all that money and the fact I should be able to do it for myself.

In reality if I face it I have spent the past 20 yrs dieting, and have regained every time and then some (bar this last time when I managed to stop myself before I did).

Never have I reached goal weight, even right in the start when I had less to loose.....I slip into denial and start eating foods I shouldn't...... so I know I can't do this on my own, I need help. I've tried hypnotherapy, and all the usual diets (WW, Slimming World etc.....) but have finally seen the light and really want to go for this.

Having read up all the blurb on the net and thru forums like this one of people who have had the various options open to us, i think the sleeve is the most practical one (for me). The band and the bypass just plain scared me if I am honest!

As Tiff says, the emotional part of it is something most of us need to overcome, I am hoping the lack of hunger will help with this and the quicker weightloss will spur me on as I see my new body forming.

I wish you luck with your decision, but this forum is the best place I have found for opinions, and everyone here seems fab.....

Hi Sparkle

Your story is more or less identical to my own. I too have never reached goal and live in permanent denial about what I'm eating. 'Tomorrow' is a word I should banish from my vocabulary.

I want this too, but I'm scared that it will lead to yet more failure. The sleeve seems to be the way forward for me and I hope that the consultant will give me a date today. However, isn't this operation like saying goodbye to an old friend, one that has comforted and changed my moods for such a long time? Yet it isn't the food that's at fault it's me, I abuse it when I should find other avenues to channel my feelings.

Do I love being this fat? NO!

Do I love having no energy? NO!

Do I love having no clothes, no social life and no love life? NO!

Then why am I hesitating? LOL, messed up? Me? Yes, it appears I am.

I can't let this oportunity pass me by, the NHS in the UK will not give me another chance, this is a drastic measure for drastic times. I can do this.

Good luck Sparkle, I hope you find what you need. I will post later if I get a date for my op.

Thanks for the reply

Michelle xx

HI Michelle

I say go for it hun..... if you've got the offer from the NHS, then thats saving you in excess of 10k.... I know 'cos I had some quotes from the UK as I was undecided whether to get it done in the UK or here in Spain, but I think for the aftercare and if any problems arise I will be getting it done here. Both surgeons are within 1hr 30 of home so better for me.

Good luck with the date..... let me knwo how you get on.

Kathy

Hi

Got my date - 26th May. Really excited and the surgeon has said I don't have to decide until the day of the operation.

xx

Oooohhhh.. great news!! Well done.

I'm prob aiming for early June as I have a wedding at the end of May in the UK and don't think I want to risk having it done only a couple of weeks before then (although I really can't wait!!!)... as don't want to be on liquids at the wedding (although may change my mind).

PS: Just spotted your birthday is only 5 days after mine, same year - hope you have a good one... I think being 42 will be great for us!!

Kathy

Edited by SParkle

LOL, I think 42 will be fantastic. It's about time really, getting rid of the fat at last, forever!!!

Thanks for the support xxxx