Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have just decided on the vsg. I had originally wanted to do the lap band but after some research I see the sleeve is the way to go. I have been reading a lot on this site and you are all very encouraging and supportive. I'm really gald about that because I have lots of fears. Can anybody out there address any of these.

Binge eating: I am a binger. I eat very healthy about 5 days a week and binge eat for 2 days. I feel out of control at these times. I am scared to take away my crutch and obvious self sooth mechanism and coping skill. I am a psychologist plus I have been in therapy for this many times so I get the dynaics behind it, i have just been unable to fix it. Anyone else struggling with this?

Aftercare: I am going to Mexico for surgery. What kind of aftercare needs will I have? Will I have to keep going down for checkups? I can buy insurance that will cover any complications, but the coverage is with my doctor only. This means I would have to go there (colorado springs to tiajuana, 3 hr flight) if I had a problem. If I had a leak would I have time to get on a plane an be seen, or would I have to go to my emergency room. I'm sure my Kaiser insurance won't cover any complications (they won't approve me for surgery).

Low BMI: okay... my BMI is 32 with no comorbids. I know this brings up a lot of issues but let me explain. I have been between 30 and 40 my whole life. I struggled like crayz to get down to 30 last year and now I'm on my way up again. I'm sure I'll be back at 40 soon. I'd rather just get the procedure now and save my skin and organs all the stress.

Financing: I have about $1000 in savings. I'd like to keep it there in case I have an emergency and need to get back to tiajuana. This leaves me in need of about $8000.00. I can swing payments of up to $350.00 month by moving things around a bit. I have applied through mysurgeryloan.com, cosmeticcredic.com, and mymedicaloan.com. I havent heard back from any of them (applied two days ago). I'm not hopeful as I have marginal credit. It's not horrible, but it's not great. I have always paid everything on time but I have had too many requests of late, my cards are maxed, I moved and changed jobs this year, and I don't own anything. Does anyone who is self pay have any tips for financing?

Okay.... I guess that's it. I'm so excited to change my life... but scared too. I can see from the postings that you are a very supportive and informed community and I look forward to your input.

Thanks

Stacey

Edited by stcyt

Hi there, and welcome. You'll love the sleeve. I've had the band and now the sleeve by far the sleeve is so much better than the band. At that's my opinion, based on having both surgeries.

On your concerns, I was a volume eater every day. I would do okay for lunch, but with dinner I gorged myself. Now for the actual binging, I never found myself doing that because I ate all the time. But, the sleeve has controlled my hunger, and has made it easier to make better choices when it comes to what I choose to put in my mouth. I'm 9 months out, and if I can only eat 4-5ounces of dense protein/meat in one sitting. Now, give me Pasta, rice, potatoes, mushies (Chili/thick chunky soups) I can eat a cup. It takes me awhile to eat that amount, but I can do it. The longer I take to eat, the more I can fit in. So, I try to keep it to a 30-40 minute meal 4-5 times a day. This keeps me satisfied, and I don't find myself wanting more.

2) My aftercare with my surgeon's program is: Labs pulled at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months post-op for the first year then annual labs to monitor vitamins/nutrient levels. He likes to do a scope between 9-12 months post-op, but isn't required. Most patients that travel abroad get their PCP on board with their aftercare and have labs pulled. Then you can send your labs to your choice of surgeon, and they can review and make recommendations as needed.

My labs that are pulled are a Chem 20, CBC with a Diff, TSH, T4, T3, some other thyroid panel, folic acid, vit B, vit B12, vit b complex, Vitamin D and Vitamin D3.

Leaks are nothing to play with. They are painful, and extremely dangerous. I had one, and within 20-30 minutes of detection I was back under anesthesia undergoing another surgery to repair the leak. I had the band first, and it destroyed my stomach tissue. I could not have tolerated waiting 3 hours to be seen for a leak repair. The pain was truly horrific, the worse feeling in the entire world for me. Follow the surgeon's prescribed post-op diet, and have faith in your surgeon's abilities. Leaks happen, but a qualified/experienced surgeon should have leak/complication stats of no more than 1%.

3) I had a high BMI of 48 the day of my revision. But, if you've struggled with maintaining your loss, the sleeve is great choice. Of course, you can eat around any of the WLS choices, but if you're determined, the sleeve can and is very successful for what is commonly called "light weight" patients.

4) For the financing, I am not educated enough in that arena to help except I know a few patients that were approved through their credit unions for a personal loan at a low interest rate so maybe that could be an option for you.

I wish you the very best in your research, fingers crossed for financing approval. The sleeve honestly changed my life.

wow... thanks for all the info. that was very helpful. I got approved for loan today so now I guess I just have to work out the details. I have read some of you posts here and I think you are very brave... you have been through a lot and you seem to be a big support to people.... a big testament to how bad you wanted it.

Thanks Again

Stacey

I'm not sure, but if I was single I would have saved a lot of money on food after surgery. So be sure and factor that into your budget. I was probably eating more than $350.00 a month in food I didn't need.

Ditto on the saving money on groceries comment. Just last night I was out to dinner with the hubby and we were talking about what a "cheap date" I've become - ha! I can make a typical restaurant entree last 3-4 meals. So hopefully you can factor in the smaller grocery bill when working on your budget and it will help with not feeling so bad each month when you pay on your loan.