Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yet another question about passports....

Sooooo everyone has come to the basic conclusion that if you have your receipt of payment for your passport, a government issued photo id, and your birth certificate boarder patrol will let you back in the country.

My question is what about a receipt for the payment of the card that they are giving out for ground and sea travel now? On the passport website it explains that the card is ust for land travel to MX and CA, and for sea travel to a few other places. Since I am driving into MX, I think it should count. It is only like 45 buck, and I am needing to be cheap, I am self pay = /

U.S. Passport Card

Any Ideas???

The card is still considered your passport. I went ahead and got the

other only because I thought one day I might want to fly into another

country. I would just carry a copy of the the paper work showing you

applied for the card as well as the receipt for payment. The card only

means you applied for a different level of passport, you still applied

for your passport even though it's the card form.

Good luck on your journey.

One of the gals in our shuttle going back into the US only had her birth certificate and photo ID. The border guard just said that she should have her passport next time. It could have been because he sees the clinic vehicles driving back and forth everyday, however probably not something I would count on! : )

So do they not stop anyone coming in to MX at all?

Coming into Mexico or into the US??

A certified copy of your birth certificate and a valid state drivers license with photo id was the accepted protocol for years and is still valid on closed loop cruises in Mexico, the Caribbean and others.

Besides, she was very obviously not a native Mexican, however there was a Hispanic gal in the vehicle. He probably should have checked her US issued passport twice. :thumbup1:

I don't think so?? Many countries don't care who comes in, they are happy to have the tourism dollars. I can think of many that don't check. And in Mexico, it would be the Mexican goverment checking, not the US checking to see who is leaving. The US only checks those coming into the states.

Now in Algeria last year, we were checked by both the people's government and the national government at every gateway. We had to fill out two forms stating where we were coming from, where we were going, etc etc. My hand got sore from writing! LOL I have also hopped around countries in Europe and few checked. Often, you are also riding a train between countries (ie Belgium to France to the Netherlands) and I don't remember ever being checked. Most of the time, you actually try to conceal that you are an American and aren't flashing your passport any more than necessary : )

On the way into Mexico we just barely slowed down, coming back they actually checked the passports. I did not have one, and still was allowed to come back. Of course after the officer gave me a lecture! Don't worry you will be fine!

Honestly I am just being cheap..I really dont want to get one because I KNOW that I wont use it again for at least a few years..that to me seems like a waste...especially when I am scrimping and saving every dime for the surgery = /

Then don't get one!! I had complications and had to have my revision done NOW! My coordinator told me they would be okay with it, and they were. You are a US citizen they won't stop you from coming back into the states, and going into Mexico they don't care who comes in!! The worst that will happen is what happened to me, you will get a lecture! I asked him if he wanted to see my stitches...lol he declined!!! Don't over analyze it, you will be just fine!