Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

below the yellow line, PreOp I'm NOT the BIGGEST LOSER, but the Biggest Gainer!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Okay, if I was on the Biggest Loser show, I am sure everyone would vote my butt right on off. Why, why, why am I eating, eating and eating. I eat until I feel ashamed, disgusted and uncomfortable. I eat "corn" "candy" "chips" "steak" "potato" "extra meals" "extra snacks" and I have N E V E R.... E V E R.... ate like this before.

Am I nervous? Yes! A week from Tuesday and it's done, yet I wonder if this is a form of sabotage and if I am going to fail at this like every thing I have tried in the past? What's up with me?

I am tired of the "sexually abused as a child" stereotype, but I wear my life on the outside and feel it's time to drop off my "baggage" at the curb with a note that says, extremely hazardous, discard only! Stress is at a major high for me right now, but when my husband was killed... I lost weight! I lost 40 pounds and all I wanted to do is drink Water, what's happened?

What do you think about these questions?

My questions: Will I be able to stay hydrated? I don't drink enough now!

Will I feel sick and my stomach feel tight and uncomfortable after surgery?

My stomach feels that way now, except I have had severe problems with vomiting post surgery and that is not fun (especially after abdominal surgery! I am a BMI 31 or so, I haven't started the Pre Op diet and I am suppose to have surgery on the 30th, what am I thinking?

Will I be able to drive home from the airport on Thursday evening? I leave Monday afternoon (a night in the hotel without stress of running around, Tuesday is preop tests and surgery. Wednesday and Thursday in the hospital, leave for home in the afternoon.

I am the navigator of my ship, but it's nice to know that there are others who are willing and wanting to help me row while you stick around cheering me on while I figure out how to do this.

I have NOT received anything in writing yet (hardcopy) but ask a lot of questions/exchanged over 50 emails with the patient facilitator, but I am wandering around lost. She did say, I am being good and starting my liquid diet, I am? Not! I keep saying ...tomorrow, and tomorrow is here! HELP!!! What do you think? :thumbup: Some people don't have a liquid preOp but I want one because I think I have gained 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks!

Edited by Jenslim4good

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Okay, if I was on the Biggest Loser show, I am sure everyone would vote my butt right on off. Why, why, why am I eating, eating and eating. I eat until I feel ashamed, disgusted and uncomfortable. I eat "corn" "candy" "chips" "steak" "potato" "extra meals" "extra snacks" and I have N E V E R.... E V E R.... ate like this before.

Am I nervous? Yes! A week from Tuesday and it's done, yet I wonder if this is a form of sabotage and if I am going to fail at this like every thing I have tried in the past? What's up with me?

I am tired of the "sexually abused as a child" stereotype, but I wear my life on the outside and feel it's time to drop off my "baggage" at the curb with a note that says, extremely hazardous, discard only! Stress is at a major high for me right now, but when my husband was killed... I lost weight! I lost 40 pounds and all I wanted to do is drink Water, what's happened?

What do you think about these questions?

My questions: Will I be able to stay hydrated? I don't drink enough now!

My stomach feels that way now, except I have had severe problems with vomiting post surgery and that is not fun (especially after abdominal surgery! I am a BMI 31 or so, I haven't started the Pre Op diet and I am suppose to have surgery on the 30th, what am I thinking?

Will I be able to drive home from the airport on Thursday evening? I leave Monday afternoon (a night in the hotel without stress of running around, Tuesday is preop tests and surgery. Wednesday and Thursday in the hospital, leave for home in the afternoon.

I am the navigator of my ship, but it's nice to know that there are others who are willing and wanting to help me row while you stick around cheering me on while I figure out how to do this.

I have NOT received anything in writing yet (hardcopy) but ask a lot of questions/exchanged over 50 emails with the patient facilitator, but I am wandering around lost. She did say, I am being good and starting my liquid diet, I am? Not! I keep saying ...tomorrow, and tomorrow is here! HELP!!! What do you think? :crying: Some people don't have a liquid preOp but I want one because I think I have gained 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks!

I'm not sure if there is a "technical" term for this, but many of use have experienced it. I call is "last supper syndrome"... I believe this happens to some of us because we think "oh my god, I'll never be able to eat EVER AGAIN!"... so we go bonkers before surgery. I must say, I did this before getting my band removed (was supposed to revise to sleeve), but before my sleeve this year, I had it much more under control, I felt pretty calm and collected. This too will pass, you're ok... and normal. BUT, if you're supposed to be on any kind of pre-op diet, clearly, this might be a problem.

And now for my "answers" to your questions:

Will I be able to stay hydrated? I don't drink enough now!

You're going to have to do what you have to do to get in as much Water as you can. This is serious. I got severely dehydrated after my band surgery, had to go to the urgent care and get two full IV Fluid drips. It was no joke. You can't chug, you'll just need to carry liquid with you and sip sip sip (as many say).

Um, yes. You may feel sick... you may feel nausea. You will need to stay on top of this and let your doc/nurses know, so they can give you the right meds to keep you from vomiting. I was ok for the first few hours after surgery, but by the evening and day two, I had nausea. Threw up a couple times, but they gave me good meds, and it all calmed down. Haven't had any problems after the initial phases with vomiting, etc.

Will I be able to drive home from the airport on Thursday evening?

Yes. I drove myself to the airport, and back home from the airport, all three surgeries I've had in Mexico. You should be fine. If you aren't sure, make sure to have a backup driver, cab, or shuttle...

My questions to you: Who is your surgeon? When exactly are you going? And, do you have anyone going with you? Are you telling people about your surgery (family/friends)? For some people bringing someone and/or telling others is helpful, for some people, it's not... either way, it's good to think through your plans, so I think it's good that you're asking questions.

Best to you! :thumbup::001_smile::)

Edited by youknowit
typos...

Hmmmm....with your history I would think it would be advisable to have a lot of counseling beforehand and during. Believe me, if food is your comfort/security and your fat is a wall to protect you from the world then you could really have some emotional issues after surgery. food has played a big role in most of our lives.

I do not have a sexual abuse history but used food a lot. I was uncomfortable fat, but also a little afraid of being thin. There have been a lot of head games going on.

Mostly, I wouldn't hide the problems you are experiencing from anyone. Try to have a good support system and just let things come as they may. I cried a lot in the first couple weeks after surgery, mostly b/c I was afraid of not being able to overeat again. I was very nervous.

Now I'm six weeks out and am a littler calmer about it. I think I've tested the sleeve a lot to see what I could tolerate and now I'm not as worried about it. I don't want sweet things often, but I have had a treat and I lived to tell about it.

I understand, I was a lot panicked myself. Just don't hide the problems you are experiencing even if it means rescheduling your surgery until you've had time to deal with your emotions.

Thanks for the support guys! Counseling? I have had years of it, and finally decided to go to school to become one. It is amazing listening to stereotypes while in the middle of a program and watch jaws drop later. Yes, there is a diet program that deals with CBT and I am going to try it. I think behavioral modification is great.

My friends are not going. I even offered to pay, BUT I am going to TJ, and both gfs are afraid. I am NOT telling my family and others, as I don't have a big support system there. Since Chuck died 12 years ago in a car accident, it seems that my life is more of a community life that others feel welcome, obliged or obligated to try to take control. My balance is "doing it" on my own.

It's funny, my mother was telling me that my problem with dealing with the "many" lipomas floating around in me, is that I am "afraid" of the pain and of the unknown. I smiled as I pictured myself getting off the plane in San Diego by myself,

going to a country where I don't know a soul... and having surgery. The smile lingered as I came back to the now and said, "you're probably right mom." My older brother (by 3 years) died of cancer 2 years ago. My younger sister (by 7 years) is battling breast cancer now. I am READY for the silver lining, to dance in the rain and extend myself to others who are a continued source of encouragement and wisdom, right here in my sleeve family!

Hang on... we are on our way!!! For those of you who have arrived, I respect your lead! Yeaaahhhh baayyybaaay! :-) Ok, so I'm a goof ball today. What am I saying? I am a goof ball everyday, and I love it! Hugs to you all!!!! Jen

Youknowit.. I laughed so loud when I was reading your post, I can so relate and really really appreciate you sharing your wisdom. I should be able to drive home, I have a new "fixer" that is only 10 minutes from the airport. I am going to return there and do some painting and general work when I return.

I received an email saying NO lifting over 5 pounds and NO BENDING (???) for 6 weeks? Yikes! Did ya'all have problems with bending too? I did with my abdominoplasty 11 years ago, but I didn't think about this.

What do you think?

I ate like crazy before my surgery - had a goodbye meal with many of my favorites. The mental has been the hardest part for me but stepping on the scale is wonderful!

I was fine 3 days after surgery and wandered thru the airport all by myself : ) I could have driven myself home from the airport as well.

I am bending just fine - never had any abdominal pain. I wouldn't over due it but you should be ok with some physical activity. A Tummy Tuck is MUCH worse!! Not even comparable. LOL

You will do fine! Avoid the scale between now and surgery. The weight will come off soon enough : )

I received an email saying NO lifting over 5 pounds and NO BENDING (???) for 6 weeks? Yikes! Did ya'all have problems with bending too? I did with my abdominoplasty 11 years ago, but I didn't think about this.

What do you think?

I had big time lifting, activity restrictions that were identical to the information you received. The biggest concern is incisional hernias and hematomas post-op, and straining the abdominal muscles. Plus, extra activity, over lifting, and other strenuous activity can cause additional scar tissue. I carried a lot of my weight in my abdomen so I dealt with gravity pain. It was like a tugging/pulling because I was swollen and my abdomen was bloated. Yes, bending for me was an issue.

I was even restricted for several weeks after GB surgery last month because apparently my body likes to try to heal itself with making lots of scar tissue and adhesions. I had even more scar tissue and adhesions taken down during the GB surgery from the other 3 lap procedures I have had done in the last 16 months.

Due to my revision, I've noticed this area in my abdomen that kind of makes this weird popping feeling around the area where my port was removed. It actually makes a noise sometimes. I called my surgeon a couple weeks ago, and he said it was probably because of all the scar tissue that has developed in that area. It's definitely weird, and while it doesn't hurt exactly, it doesn't feel good.