Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did not have to follow any pre-op diets as I am self pay and my BMI is not all that high but I have decided to start my own pre-op diet. I wanted to try some of the Protein Shakes and get used to the new post-op way of eating. Granted this is the first day but it is harder than I thought. I have never tried to drink so much Water in my life. We are supposed to get between 80 and 100 ounces a day. I have had 50 so far which has made my stomach a little upset. Just to get down the 50 I had to gulp. I am not sure how I am going to get down that much after surgery only being able to sip. I am sure I will manage somehow. I have tried 2 Protein shakes. Both are the Chike brand, chocolate and the orange creme. They have a few more carbs than is recommended by the nutritionist so I may not buy them again but the orange creme is rather tasty. I think the trick for the Protein Drinks is not to smell them. If you don't smell them they actually taste really good. I have a variety of Unjury samples as well to try. I want to lose between five and ten pounds on my own before the surgery. I have heard if your metabolism is going before the surgery you weight loss can be better. Is the diet easier or harder after the surgery? Is it one of those things where it just falls into place and makes more sense after the surgery? I am scheduled for April 6th so I have a little less than I month to prepare. I just don't feel like going cold turkey into the diet. Plus, I am afraid if I don't put myself on a diet before the surgery I will end up having a million "last suppers". haha

Protein drinks are never really "fun", but at least after surgery the "hunger hormones" are much less (if not all gone) so you're not hungry and may not even care if you eat or not. So I guess you could say it's easier than pre-op that way. Look at the food section of this website to get lots of ideas of things to add to your shakes to make them taste better, etc. Having a variety of shakes (thick, thin, pre-made, etc.) will help make it more tolerable. I found some Protein hot chocolate that's pretty darn good from a company called BariWise. I only have to drink 8oz for 15 grams. It's quick, easy and tastes good. They also make a shake/pudding mix that's not bad.

Good luck!

Did you try the Unjury? If so what did you like best? Did you try the chicken Soup? I don't like a lot of sweet tasting items, so this sparked my interest. I"m feeling exactly like you are; looking for some staple Protein Shakes that I like. They are very hard for me to get down.

I bought the Unjury sample pack. I just mixed the vanilla with my morning coffee and it is pretty good. You have to wait until the coffee is not more than 130 degrees before you can add the Protein Powder which kind of stinks because then the coffee is just warm. I have not tried the chicken Soup but I will soon. I will definitely let you know what I think.