Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi - I'm new. Have submitted my paperwork to my doctor for review. I am self pay so insurance is not the problem. I am afraid he won't band me because I am 58 years old, diabetic, had a heart attack in 1994, and weigh 301 lbs. I think I'm losing my mind. I have gained 40 lbs in the past 14 months. I'm scared to do it and scared not to. I'm afraid he will say no and afraid he will say yes. As a matter of fact, ScaredyKatt should be my screen name.

Katt

First of all, Welcome! You've come to a place where you'll find a lot of great information. I have a heart condition and my cardiologist was all for this surgery. Many diabetic patients have this surgery. My best male friend had it in July of last year and is now off Insulin.

Knowledge is power and I would suggest you read a lot of the threads on this board and compile a list of questions for your MD. Go to informational meetings and listen to the experiences of others. I had the surgery 8.5 weeks ago and did fine despite my heart condition and the fact that I had pulmonary emboli (blood clots in both lungs) early this year.

You're not losing your mind. You're just faced with a big decision and need time to sort it all out. That's why you're here.

Katt - You are feeling the same way that I am sure most of use felt pre-banding. It is a huge leap of faith! I will be praying that you are accepted, you will have no complications, and your Diabetes will disappear with your excess weight. Medications and a Sedentary life style because of physical problems can cause rapid weight gain. This happened to my best friend. She had a very successful Lap Band Surgery April 4th. Despite not being able to exercise and being on Steroids and pain meds, she has lost 24 pounds already. I have faith you can do this too.

Hey ScaredyKatt! lol

If you weren't scared right now, you wouldn't be normal.

If you've done all the research and understand what the band can and can't do, you understand how the band works and that a lot of your success depends on the choices you'll have to make every day, every meal, that you've chosen the best surgeon you can and you're sure of his abilities and credentials, and you're ready to make a committment to becoming healthier and happier . . . . take a deep breath and jump.

There's nothing I can tell you which will alleviate all your fears, you have to look deep into yourself and decide what is best for you.

I know this is a tough decision but nothing worth having is every easy, is it?

Good luck on your decision and on your weight loss journey Katt. Welcome to LapBandTalk.

:clap2: I want to thank all of you for taking the time and interest to respond to my post. It means a lot to know that you have all walked the walk. I have been using the internet since before it was the internet, it was only an electronic community bulletin board (it's how I met my 3rd ex-husband). But I have never felt the real care and concern that I have found here on-line. Again thank you all and I am going to stick with it. I am an RN and pretty successful at it. I have a beautiful daughter, loving son-in-law, and 6 of the most wonderful grandchildren in the world. I want to be around to thank God daily for all of it. Katt

Hiya Katt, welcome to LBT. I think you'll find quite a few folks in your age group with similar medical problems that were banded and doing great now. As long as you are medically stable to have surgery, your current or past medical conditions shouldn't keep you from being banded.

Let me direct you to a few links that are informative and encouraging. And keep posting! It's how we get to know each other. :(

Surgery Video and Q&A:

This is a recorded Web Cast of a Lap Band surgery. The surgeons provide a lot of basic information and answer a LOT of questions from the viewers. The video shows the placement of the lap band via laparoscopic camera and also shows the positioning and attachment of the port. It's not gory at all, but it is surgery so watch with caution: http://www.brighamandwomens.org/surg...st/default.asp

Questions to ask your Dr before getting banded:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15595

MuffinBirdie's (an LBT member) personal website:

http://www.myagb.homestead.com/index.html

LBT'ers who have lost 100 pounds or more:

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16050

:clap2: I want to thank all of you for taking the time and interest to respond to my post. It means a lot to know that you have all walked the walk. I have been using the internet since before it was the internet, it was only an electronic community bulletin board (it's how I met my 3rd ex-husband). But I have never felt the real care and concern that I have found here on-line. Again thank you all and I am going to stick with it. I am an RN and pretty successful at it. I have a beautiful daughter, loving son-in-law, and 6 of the most wonderful grandchildren in the world. I want to be around to thank God daily for all of it. Katt

I'm on hold right now for banding for other medical reasons, but I have 8 beautiful grandchildren. I would love to be around many more years to enjoy them. Unfortunately, I'm sidelined for awhile, but the band is in my future. I hope you are being banded here in the states even if it means jumping through a lot of hoops. My problems were found here, and I don't think if I had gone out of country they would have been discovered. I think out of country is fine for the younger ones, but I think anyone older should have everything available to them in the way of testing.

By he way I was married twice myself. The first ended in divorce after 16 years of his being an alcoholic. I couldn't stick around anymore and he died at an early age from cirrhosis of the liver. I married my soul mate the second time around and had 18 wonderful years with him before he died in a motor vehicle accident. There isn't a day I don't miss him.

I wish you the best of luck and God Speed.

Dody