Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the Gastric Sleeve a permeate solution

Hello All,

Excuse my bad English, I am consider doing the Gastric sleeve very soon, but some Drs warn me that my stomach within 5 years will increase its size naturally as its nothing but a muscle, and I will end up having a big stomach "Not as big as my original one" but big enough to let me gain all the wait that I have lost.

So they keep advice me to do the Bybass which is something really I don't want to do, the confusing thing that other doctors deny this and keep saying that what actually happening that people start eating more frequent meals after few years and so they gain weight.

I don't know who to believe .. so I thought to come and Ask you guys, does any one out here did the sleeve since long time like 3 - 6 years and can tell us if he can eat bigger meals than the one he used to eat in the few months after the procedure .. any one regain all the weight that he did lost !!

Mahmoud

None of the surgeries are permanent successes if the patient doesn't change their eating habits, and lifestyle. Even with duodenal switch, patients gain back weight.

The sleeve portion of the stomach that is left is mainly muscle as long as the fundus is fully-dissected. Sleeve stretching is minimal, but you can cheat and eat around it. You can still eat 1/2 quart of ice cream if you choose just like you could with RNY or the band. The pouch/stoma of the RNY can and does stretch causing regain and lack of restriction. Only 30% of RNY dump on sugary foods so there is no guarantee that a patient will suffer those consequences if they choose to eat the "wrong foods". Malbasorption only lasts 18-24 months for calories, and fat, but a RNY patient will never absorb their vitamins/micronutrients.

The sleeve has lower regain stats vs. RNY for patients 5 years out.

If my stomach stretches out to where I can hold another ounce of two of food that isn't going to sabotage my results. I would accept 1-2 ounces more capacity. My surgeon advised me that the sleeve shouldn't stretch out more than 8 ounces.

If you surgeons are saying that people eat more often and gain weight, well that makes sense. That is not related to the surgery, that's the individual patients eating habits, and choices.

Here are some long term sleeve patient's personal stories from obesityhelp.com

Also at the bottom are some research link available for your review.

Diligence-is-always-required

Stalls-Happen

Update-from-a-2-Year-Post-Op-VSGer

2-year-surgiversary-and-feeling

Two-and-one-half-years-post-op

TWO-YEARS-YALL

Just-Passed-My-2-Year-Surgiversary

questions-for-post-ops-2-years-out-or-more

2-years-out-food-amount-info

anyone-2-years-out

Happy-2-year-anniversary-to-me

2-years-post-op-TODAY

2-5-Years-After-a-VSG

Everday-life-at-2-5-years-out

2-1-2-year-update

Has-it-really-been-2-years

2-1-2-year-update

Two-Year-Surgiversary

2-year-update-portrait-of-a-heavyweight-a-bit-late

Two-year-surgiversary

2-and-1-2-years-later

2-years-since-my-surgery-any-advice-on-face-lift

2-year-post-op-pics

Two-Years-Before-amp-After-Pic

2-year-update-portrait-of-a-heavyweight-a-bit-late

Thought-you-might-enjoy-an-update-with-a-few-pics

Busybusymom-is-back-2-years-post-op

TWO-YEARS-BABY

Any-old-timers-still-lurking-the-boards

Long-term Sleeve Experiences - 3 Years

on June 8, 2009 10:43 pm

Three years out

Three and a half years after Vertical Gastrectomy My Story

A quick 2 year and 3 year VSG update

Third Year Surgiversay

Not always easy but always worth it

Very Discouraged 3 years out

Links for researching the VSG

on March 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Here are some links I've collected when I was researching the sleeve. ASMBS position paper on sleeve - includes reports of early studies

LapSF Educational presentation to FACS - includes some 2 year results

LapSF Two Year Study

LapSF Five Year Study - abstract only

LapSF Five Year Study - presentation (requires Windows to play)

Literature review on the sleeve - requires $$ to get the full text unfortunately

Sleeve best for over 50 crowd

Video of a sleeve with lots of education discussion

Video of a sleeve that is more about the operation

Ghrelin levels after RnY and sleeve

Ghrelin levels after band and sleeve

Diabetes resolution in RnY vs. Sleeve

Comparison of band to sleeve - literature review

)

I can't add anything that Tiffy didn't cover above, but I do want to highlight the most important parts that you should keep in mind:

- The sleeve portion of the stomach that is left is mainly muscle as long as the fundus is fully-dissected. Sleeve stretching is minimal... the balloon-like stretchy portion of the stomach is gone (that's the part they actually make the RNY pouch OUT of, so the pouch is very stretchy). Your sleeve is more of a soft leather-like material... it gives, but doesn't stretch like a balloon the way the RNY pouch does.

- The sleeve has lower regain stats vs. RNY for patients 5 years out... Follow some of her research links. It's true. And I'll add that the long-term weight loss of the sleeve is equal to or better than the RNY.

Like she said, if you're determined to "cheat" whatever surgery you have, then you'll gain the weight back. Any surgery is only a TOOL to greatly assist you in following weight-loss rules, and if you follow the rules you'll be fine. Protein first, and lots of Water. If you do that, then during the losing phase you won't have much room in your stomach to cheat anyway; once you're at goal you'll be able to relax and have more variety of food with the occasional treat and be fine. Bottom line is, you HAVE to go into any surgery committed to working WITH your tool, and not figuring out ways to cheat it.

To add: Most doctors, unless they're bariatric surgeons, have never even heard of the sleeve and assume that "weight loss surgery" means gastric bypass. I think the doctors you've been talking to don't know what they're talking about when you're trying to discuss VSG. :wink0:

Research, research, research, find the answers, and good luck to you!

Thanks for you guys, your inputs were really helpful

I am 26 years old and my BMI is 48 so yes I have a lot to loose, yet avoiding the bybass is my personal choice as I don't want to rely on Vitamins and medicine for ever, I think I am gonna go a head with the sleeve and ask the my surgeon to cut all the fundus or as much as he can from it to maintain a small stomach as much as I could

I am planning to do it within 20 day from now, I will keep you posted and hopefully after few years from now I will be able to come back to tell you that I am one of the long term success story.

In the meanwhile please remember me in your prayers .. I really need that

Mahmoud

Congratulations on your decision! You'll need to take Vitamins with the sleeve too... not because we don't absorb them, but because we don't eat enough food to get them that way (then again, most Americans don't get enough nutrients from their food and should be supplementing anyway).

Good luck, and keep us updated! :biggrin0: