Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, I'm getting hungry, HELP!

Hi all,

This is my 3rd day on Optifast and I am getting hungry! I've read the past

threads and couldn't find much about the Optifast. Can someone please help me with a suggestion or something? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Mary Ann,

The pre-op diet sucks (I'm assuming this is what you're doing). My doc let me have lean meats and vegetables. This seemed to help me get through the Protein Shakes. Maybe this is an option for you... you could ask. The reason for the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver - which the Protein shakes and lean meats help. Some people try mixing in a little fruit to the Protein Shake for variety. Other than that, take up a new hobby... paint a room. This time will pass before you know it. Hang in there!

MaryAnn, I did Optifast for 12 weeks once, and I agree it blows. But the good news is that if you stick to it, the hunger pangs really will pass in a few days. And if this is your pre-op diet, keep your eyes on the prize and realize every ounce you lose contributes to the safety of your surgery.

You can do it!!

Mary Ann....days 3 and 4 will be the hardest days of your pre-op diet, then your body stops freaking out and it will be easier.....trust me! I spent days 3 and 4 crying and being real bitchy...my family wanted to sell me!!

This is my 4th day on the preop fast. I'm not having that bad of a time of it yet but still 1-1/2 weeks to go. A sense of humour about the whole thing goes a long way.

I was instructed to eat only lowfat cottage cheese and lowfat yogurt, coffee, tea, crystal light, and lots of Water.

I find that I do a lot a better with just plain yogurt and flavouring it myself with low calorie sugar free jams and preserves.

Yesterday my husband (a chef) made me a smoothie for Breakfast, it ended up making two large drinks because of the ice and the air. In the blender he put 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese, 1 cup lowfat plain yogurt, 1 cup ice, 3 tbls of sugar free raspberry jam and whipped the heck out of it. Because it was so thick and had some substance to it, it took me a long time to drink it. I may not be sweet enough for some so I would suggest just adding more of the jam or some artificial sweetner.

I guess because it was about 12 oz and so thick it satisfied me for a long time. Today he made me one with unsweetened cocoa powder and sweetner.....unsweetened cocoa powder contains very low fat and is only about 12 calories / tbls. 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup or more of ice just to loosen it and add volume, 3 tbls of cocoa powder and 2 packets of sweetener....it tastes to me just like the chocolate frozen soft yogurt you get in the cone except its drinkable.....very good.

I'm not really a big fan of cottage cheese so I don't have any other appetizing suggestions, however, for yogurt....I flavour it with lots of different things, that is why I like the plain. I sprinkle cinnamon on top....heard you can do this with cottage cheese too. Also, I have had plain yogurt with curry spice in it for dips but don't what it would be like eating it straight.

Just hang on girl ...... you'll make it, just like all the rest of us.

Carol

Depending on how good your blender is....you have to stick with it, keep blending until it gets to nice thick creamy consistency....may take some time.

Thanks guys!

I will call my Dr. again tomorrow and ask about lean meats but his nurse said Optifast and green veggies ONLY. I would kill for a piece of grilled chicken right about now! Oh well, I stained the deck and did the gardening, I guess I'll look for something else to do.

11 days and counting to a new body and a new life!

Oh Woodys!

I just noticed that your surgery is the day before mine! I'll be praying for you Honey and sending the angels your way!