Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there! I'm new to the boards ... well, I just signed up anyway. I've been reading the forums without being signed up for them for a few weeks. I'm reaching the later stages of determining to have the VSG surgery and am both excited and nervous.

I currently have a BMI of 51 and am wondering what complications others have had during or after surgery. I'm looking at going to Mexico to Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta. Can anyone here confirm the care received? My brother knows the mother of a woman who had surgery by him and was very pleased. His credentials sound impressive to me and the hospital looks first rate, by the pictures, but I know pictures only really show so much...

What questions should I be asking the surgeons office? I'm from Canada and have asked about costs and complications. The rep at the office said that leaks are the most common complication related directly to the surgery (other then normal surgery complications related to anethesiology). He said that Dr. Joya does three separate tests post-op to determine if there are any leaks. Does that sound pretty standard?

Thanks for any info.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer and welcome to VST.

I had a leak due to my surgery being a revision, but my risks quadrupled because of the damage the band did to my stomach. I was my surgeons first and only leak.

2-3 leak tests is pretty standard. I don't have any personal experience with Dr. Joya, and have read mixed reviews on Obesityhelp from his patients.

Questions I would ask:

What size bougie is used?

How many sleeves has Dr. Joya performed?

What is his complication, leak, death stats?

How many nights do you stay in a hospital?

Is the hospital equipped an ICU and blood bank? (these things are most important to me because I would not have surgery in an outpatient facility without full ICU/blood bank on site, others don't have those requirements)

If complications do happen to occur, are these complications/additional surgery/days in hospital covered by the original quoted price of the surgery?

My pre-op BMI was 49.4, so the sleeve can be very successful for those of us with high BMIs.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply Tiffykins! I'll ask those questions for sure. and I'll be looking up ObesityHelp as well... What is the standard size bougie that should be used?

HI! I too am quite excited about going for my sleeve. I booked mine 2 weeks ago and I leave on Sunday to see Dr. Almarez. He did my sister in laws lapband and four of my friends sleeve's. He is highly recommended by all of them for his care and attention. I can hardly wait to feel skinny again and know that my weight will never be a struggle again. I know this is the right decision for a lifetime of happiness. I am looking forward to summer and excited to get into a skimpy little swimsuit! I did a lot of research and found a local business here in Canada that works with Dr. Almarez before I made my decision. They have been so informative and supportive throughout the decision process. I wish you all the best!

Welcome to both of you. You are going to find the sleeve to be an amazing tool.

:thumbup: I'm really starting to get excited about this! I'm composing a list of questions for Dr. Joya at the moment and hopefully will get some answers via email fairly quickly.

Have any of you found anything about the sleeve that you DISLIKED? any issues with wishing you'd not had it done? any annoyances with the tiny portions afterwards?

ok! Just sent a list of questions to Dr Joya's office to answer. Thought I'd share the list in case anyone else is interested. (thanks for the suggestions, Tiff!)

How many sleeves has Dr Joya performed?

How many leaks/complications/deaths has he had?

What size bougie does he use?

What sort of follow up care will I need?

Do I have to come back to Mexico after the surgery for any of the follow up?

What sort of pre-surgery tests/exams does Dr Joya do? x-rays? blood tests?

Are the blood test results, x-rays, etc sent home with me? Are they in English?

Does Dr Joya take an x-ray of the sleeve post-op?

Do I consult with a nutritionist in Mexico? Do I continue talking to her after I leave?

How many nights in the hospital?

Is the hospital equipped with an ICU and blood bank?

How many leak tests?

What is the Post-op diet?

What kind of goal weight expectations should I be setting?

Does Dr Joya oversew or use glue on the staple line?

How soon after the surgery should I have my stitches pulled?

I currently take celexa for anxiety issues. Can I continue taking those up to and through the surgery?

What medications need to be taken after surgery? for how long?

Are Vitamins or other supplements recommended by Dr Joya after surgery?

How fast do Dr. Joya's patients recover? How soon can I go back to work?

How often do the nurses visit me in the hotel room?

What can I reasonably expect to be able to do after surgery? (ie: go for a walk? swim?)

Have any of you found anything about the sleeve that you DISLIKED? any issues with wishing you'd not had it done? any annoyances with the tiny portions afterwards?

Not so far! I'm slightly disappointed that I do have some hunger when other people have zero, but I've also noticed that the people who have none now had TONS before surgery... I had very little before surgery, because I was always eating anyway, so maybe the "hunger" is a relative thing.

I thought I'd miss pigging out but honestly, I don't. I made the most delicious-smelling white chicken chili last night and dished up a whole bowl for myself (one whole scoop, woo! lol), knowing that I wouldn't be able to eat it all but wanting to anyway. Halfway through, I was done and completely satisfied and not at ALL disappointed that I couldn't finish it and go back for more. I haven't felt deprived of anything yet and I've found it very easy to stay away from the "bad" stuff, although I did have a pinch off of a fresh-baked brownie once. My favorite donuts of all time have been brought in to the office twice since surgery and it hasn't been difficult to stay away from them.

Honestly--it's so hard to imagine before surgery that you will be happy eating such little amounts of food, but you're eating slowly so it takes almost as much time to finish as it did before (so you've got that taste in your mouth as long) and you feel like you've eaten a huge meal. It's so hard to describe, it's just something you'll have to experience for yourself.

:001_tongue: I'm really starting to get excited about this! I'm composing a list of questions for Dr. Joya at the moment and hopefully will get some answers via email fairly quickly.

There really isn't anything about the sleeve that leaves me disappointed. I've had one case of what many refer to as "buyer's remorse".

Thanksgiving we traveled to West Virginia to spend the week with my husband's family. Well, I was super pissed off when I ate my tiny portions of everything, then I was stuffed and couldn't binge. You know on Thanksgiving it is that one day a year, fat chicks can binge and not be judged. I actually excused myself from the table, went outside, kicked rocks, was telling myself how stupid I was for doing this to myself. My husband came out to check on me. He said "you can have more later". He was right, but I wanted it all right then. I stayed outside for awhile until I talked myself off the ledge. Went back inside and saw everyone had changed into stretchy pants, and were in food comas. I was feeling good, and awake, and realized just how wonderful this tool really is. 2 hours later I went back and had more broccoli cheese rice casserole and some turkey. Point of the story: The sleeve gives you exactly what you put into it, and honestly I have zero regrets, or irritation when it comes to eating now. During the losing phase, things are a little tougher, but once you get to regular food, life returns to pretty normal. I never feel deprived. I honestly eat anything and everything I want. I don't overdo anything, and the sleeve makes it so much easier to battle the constant hunger that I had pre-op. I'm never hungry, and I mean never. My stomach never growls, rumbles. I simply know I have to eat for fuel.