Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Infected Port Incision - Advice Please!!!!!

Hello All,

I am hoping some of you medically knowledgable bandsters are watching the posts tonight and can offer me some advice.

I was banded on May 1st, 3.5 weeks ago and have been doing great!

My only concern has been my port incision which is also my largest incision. It has taken the longes to close and it has been red around the incision site since my surgery. Although red, I have not had any pain or swelling.

Today, the area was itchy and after I scratched a bit, I notice part of the incision had opened up and puss was draining out. Sorry to be explicit, but, I probably got about 1/2 to 3/4 of a tea spoon of puss mixed with blood out of the area.

My doctor is not on call this weekend so I spoke with the other surgeon in his office. She told me that draining it was the most important thing and that I should put warm compresses and hydrogen peroxide on it for a couple of days and the redness should start to go away.

She told me to call her if the site looks worse or if I get a fever.

What I want to know is if I shoud be on antibiotics? She doesn't do Lap Band surgery and I don't remember if I mentioned that it is my port incision that is involved. I don't want to make things worse if my port is at risk of becoming or already is infected.

My gut instinct tells me this is more of a superficial infection that is at the site of the incision and just underneath.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda: As soon as you can get thee to your band surgeon. Most likely it could be superficial but without seeing it I can't make that assumption. Also, I am not a doctor so please do contact your band surgeon and make an appt to go in.

That said, draining it was a good thing. Personally my opinion is you should be on antibiotics but others might disagree. I do hope it is superficial.

If you start running a fever you should call your doc back.

Thanks Penni,

By the way, I think you pictures look great. I know you have struggled since losing your band, but you courage and your choice to continue fighting the battle have really encouraged me!

I had a fewof systemic bacterial infections when I was pregnant and had to have a picc line in for several months. I know the symptoms and at the first sign I will definately be on the phone with the doc. to get antibiotics. I never want to experience that again!

Linda,

What Penni said, but do it even faster, if you can. MOST post-op port site irritations are nothing. But the ones that are "something" can linger...it's best to have professional care right away.

Sue

I say go for the antibiotic as soon as you can get it. If you don't need it, it won't hurt you - unless you are becoming resistant to antibiotics. If you need it, the sooner you start taking it the better.

I'm not saying this to scare you, I'm saying that on the chance that you do need it, sooner is better.

Let us know how you're doing OK?

Thanks Geezer and Donna,

I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place because it is a holiday weekend and I spoke to the only on call doc already.

It's the next morning now and I had some drainage last night. I am using the hydrogen peroxide as directed and I still have no pain or swelling and the area is not hot to the touch.

I think I'll see how it goes today and if I get really concerned, I'll go to an urgent care later. I might pay a visit to a pediatrition who lives down the street as well. She is usually pretty helpful.

I'm an RN and NOT an MD but a fresh post-op incision that is draining pus is NOT something to fool around with. You SHOULD be on an antibiotic. Furthermore, your surgeon should have seen you RIGHT away and cultured the drainage so he knew what bacteria he/she was treating. See an MD TODAY!

Linda V

I had the same thing when I had my gall bladder removed about 20 yrs ago. My son (2 months old) kicked my incision and it opened up about 4 inches. I was also told just to put hot compresses (I boiled the Water on the stove to make it hot, before microwaves) on it and it heals from the inside out. Mine was a long healing process because of the length, but I did as I was told and all went well.