Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have chronic back problems that are related to my weight. This last week I have developed severe sciatic pain. I've seen my dr and she gave me muscle relaxers and they have a helped a very small amount. I can't walk upright and I'm in so much pain. Have any of you experienced this and can give me some ideas what I can do? I am on the verge of tears, but have to keep working.

Thanks,

Anna

Have you tried something simply like a heating pad?

Another option is Massage Therapy. My husband had a sciatic issue with his shoulder and it helped tremendously. Some insurance companies even cover it (usually if you have chiropractic coverage, you have massage therapy coverage). I also have regular MT for my knee. I am a firm believer in MT after seeing it's results.

Good luck - hopefully you can find some relief.

I have chronic back problems that are related to my weight. This last week I have developed severe sciatic pain. I've seen my dr and she gave me muscle relaxers and they have a helped a very small amount. I can't walk upright and I'm in so much pain. Have any of you experienced this and can give me some ideas what I can do? I am on the verge of tears, but have to keep working.

Thanks,

Anna

bless your heart, i can totally relate with you. . .i have really bad back problems too and it was worse when i was heavier. . i found that taking 2 hydrocodone and 2 flexeril together helped alot. . but of course you have to be at home to do that. . .at 332 i could not clean myself properly and each time i would try i'd pull my back. . .i was constantly in pain. . I really sympathize with you, i know that pain. . . now that i have lost 53 lbs i find it so much better, my back still aches every now and then, but nothing compared to before. . . i've got 109 lbs to lose and hopefully that will solve that problem. . . i'm sorry i can't help more. . good luck and hopefully the pain will be under control, when is your surgery?

I feel for you!

I think I am having the same issue. If I walk or stand more than 5 minutes, my right hip starts to hurt progressively worse and worse. It gets so bad it feels like someone is dislocating my hip. It also radiates down my right leg, and my big toe goes completly numb.

I also get numbness in both legs when I lay on my back at night, so It makes it hard to sleep.

I had 2 steroid injections into my spine a couple months a part. The first one lasted a few weeks, and the second didn't seem to do much at all.

I've had xrays, and they said nothing was wrong. I had an MRI and they found a protruding disc.

I've been to surgeons, but they all say I am too heavy to operate on. This is what got me looking at WLS.

I currently take nsaids, which help some, but I can't take strong muscle relaxers or pain pills and work, as they make me too sleepy.

I have noticed that when I go to the dentist, and they raise my feet above my head, the partial inversion seems to take a lot of the weight off. I don't know if traction would help at all.

I am kind of in limbo right now. I see a VSG surgeon on the 23rd. I know my insurance company considers it investigational, so it will probably deny. I don't know if I can wait long enough to fight them, I hope I would be able to appeal on the grounds of my nsaid use.

If I gain 10 or so pounds, I would qualify for the duodenal switch, BMI of 50. I don't really want that extreme of a malabsorption though.

I really can't afford to go to MX at the present.

I hope you find some relief soon, and if you do, send some my way will ya!

Edited by WeekendWarrior
spelling

Thanks all!

My surgery isn't until June and I don't know if this will be the thing that changes it, but I am hopeful. My family has always had issues with backpain even those members without weight problems. I am very frustrated, I've been to see my phusician and once again given a round of muscle relaxers and I'm trying to function and work. Thanks for letting me vent. I found myself on the verge of tears earlier, hoping that I could just walk and feel normal today.

Anna