Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to live to be an old woman.

Hello, :blush:

I am 28, mother of two, and considering the sleeve, after throwing the idea of the band OUT the window. I have one big concern.... What will life be like in forty years? Is there enough of my stomach left to keep things balanced. I am a firm believer that if we are born with it, it MUST serve a greater purpose. I have seen that people are fine at three, even five years. However, I worry about long term nutritional, intestinal issues. Higher risk of colon or other cancers? Do we really know what purpose the stomach serves for our immune system? I am really excited and nervous at the same time. I am 5'1" and 212 lbs

Did any of you share these concerns ? and if so.. What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

Many Thanks, Aura

:)

I'm only 5 mo. out and ALL of your concerns are valid and worthy of valid answers. I am no expert and this surgery is about 5 years out as I understand. However some on this board have done extensive research on gastrectomy surgery which has been performed for decades. I am confident that you will receive responses that will address your concerns. I would also suggest you continue to visit and post any findings you come upon in your investigation of this surgery. Initially I looked into the Lap Band and within a month of research had no doubt that was not for me. I found the sleeve to be the most sensible of all WLSurgical procedures out there and based upon what I found here and upon what WLSurgeons who perform the VSG I went forward with the surgery. I'm down 70lbs but admittedly I now, after the fact, have concerns both immediate and long term. I'm glad you have put your concerns here and look forward to following this thread. In any event thanks and best wishes.

Lan2K,

Thanks for your insight! It's so nice to hear that someone else has "been there." What would you say are your biggest concerns at this moment, now that you know how it feels to have the surgery? Is there anything that stands out to you?

Aura

Aura, what wonderful questions those were and very valid ones too. . . but you know we were all born with the gallbladder and appendix, those are yanked out and we carry on living. . some people donate their kidney to a loved one, they keep living a full life. . some people are recepients of new hearts, hearts that belonged to another, and they can live a long life. . . we don't know what use the gallbladder or appendix is or if it has any meaning either. . .I understand your concern, but obesity causes alot more problems, heart disease, liver disease, diabetes, etc. . .you have to weigh the pros and cons regarding the surgery and once you have your pros and cons then you should decide. . it took me 1 1/2 years to research this procedure and then i had it done. . .why would a physician in his/her right mind remove something that would cause problems in the future? Yes, VSG has only been out a short time, but actually has it? Back in the days they used to perform gastrectomies for stomach ulcers, cancer of the stomach and so on. . . this surgery has been around a long time, only now it's been label WLS. . . interesting huh??????? good luck with your decision and godspeed. . .

Living in a healthy weight for your expected lifespan would probably outweigh any "con" factors otherwise.

People with the longest longevity are lean people. If you can achieve "leanness" without doing surgery, by all means do it. But if you cannot reliably keep the weight off, you're better off doing something about it while you're young so that you can enjoy the rest of your life.

Just my humble opinion. I sure wish I'd done it when I was 28 instead of waiting until I was 49.

I had several of the same concerns. The only thing I knew to do is to start researching gastrectomies performed for other reasons such as stomach cancer and ulcerative conditions. I found many people living normal, healthy, fully-functioning lives 20+ years after their gastrectomies. Yes, some of them had recurrence of their pre-surgery condition, but the organ was diseased to begin with.

I met with an oncologist due to a clotting disorder. He told me that I was decreasing my risk of cancer by having the gastrectomy performed. He was optimistic for my future health, and was not worried about my longevity. He mentioned he had a couple of geriatric patients that had their stomachs completely removed, and new stomach was made from intestinal tissue. They had to take different Vitamins and digestive supplements, but they were not malnourished or knocking on death's door without their stomach. Arming myself with all of that information really helped me feel confident with my decision to have my revision to VSG.

There is a lot of information out there on gastrectomies that are not strictly related to weight loss. Also, the sleeve is the 1st stage procedure of the duodenal switch surgery, and that surgery has been done for many more years than the sleeve as a stand-alone procedure.

Lan2K,

Thanks for your insight! It's so nice to hear that someone else has "been there." What would you say are your biggest concerns at this moment, now that you know how it feels to have the surgery? Is there anything that stands out to you?

Aura

Hi Aura, I wish I was in a healthier emotional state. The status and arrangements of my life changed dramatically right (2 wks.) before my surgery. I came out of it with extreme anxiety and morbid depression. I am in therapy with a psychologist who specializes in treating WLS patients, and a psychiatrist that has prescribed an antidepressant that is helping me, and I take anti anxiety medication as needed, pretty much every day. This is a life altering surgery. Your relationship with food does change like it or not and there is no turning back. I am concerned more about my capacity to psychologically handle my life without my best/worst friend and comforter, food (as I knew it). I have an awful sinus condition as well and I'm not sure if it is surgery related but has been with me since. It's mucus that accumulates in my throat maybe from a drip maybe from my stomach, I don't know. That is most immediate on my agenda to have diagnosed and resolved. I worry that my immune system may be compromised since the surgery and possibly now I've an allergy to my cats. I don't know. What I do know is that the majority of people here have made the choice to have the sleeve after much research and contemplation. Most are elated as they see their weight drop and have embraced the changes they've had to make where eating habits are concerned. I hope you will rely more on folks like that rather than I as you venture into the possibility of doing this for yourself. I'm not fully back yet, to myself that is. My opinion is tainted by my emotions which are going through a period of greif and loss. My psychiatrist looked me in the eyes and asked, "Why do you persist to fear your surgery? Did you research? Was your surgeon and the facility reputable? Did you feel you put yourself in capable hands?" I said "yes, at the time I did..." She then told me it s time to stop then and move forward with my life...When she said that I felt strength for a moment I believed she was right.

Edited by LAN2k

Aura - I too have been researching this surgery for a year. I began my research with the band to only find out that due to my arthritis I am not a candidate. I have read the responses above and will not repeat what has been said except to say that I whole heartily agree. I'm 56, 5 feet and 203 lbs and I also want to live a long life. Due to arthritis I need 2 knee replacements and fusion in my lower back. I need to do the sleeve to get my weigh down to have the best result possible from any knee replacements or back surgery. I don't know about you but the more research I do the more personal reasons I find I need to do this (lower BP, cholestrol, gerd, etc). I have done all my pre-op tests and find reassurance in the depth and number needed. I have been approved and cleared by my primary care physician. Next step is pre-op appt and scheduling my surgery date. Good luck, and keep in touch.

Aura,

I too have the sam concerns as you. I think that we are both in the same position in life, as i am 26 with 2 young baby boys. I'm 5'4" and as of today 232.5 lbs. I want to live the longest life posible. When I first started researching WLS the band was my first thought as well. But that was soon ruled out. And Tiffykins helped me in researching gastrectomies as well. Some day's I have major doubts becasue most people arround me think that I don't need this and can lose the weight on my own. But support groups help me to get over these anxieties. You know then best thing I can say is the longest life span information on the web for gastrectomies that I have found is 30 years and that person is still living. All be it, I am sure there are more people out there that are just not posting on the chat boards. So with that said, there are no guarantees in life, if you don't end up loessing the weight on your own and even gaining then you are lessening your lifespan. Just how I have rationalized my thoughts on this process. But if you need to talk I would be glad to!

OMG!! Its like you looked in my brain and posted my thoughts...I am also 28 yrs old.

I am 5'8 252 lbs size 18-20

mother of 1

I have been thinking about this surgery for about 1yr. I also started researching the band as well but it was tooooo many side-effects to worry about.

One reason I am scared of getting this is the weight loss...the older we get the more nutrients our body needs, and what if this prevents it from happening....

CANCER and its treatments (lord forbid) Cancer treatments really mess you up...will We be able to recover with a sleeve???

I dont know what to think, somedays I say YEAH go for it I will do it...and others I am like scared out of my mind...

I have a little girl and she is my main concern, I wan to live to see my grandchildrens children...lol you know?

I guess we can help each other out....calm each other down and support each other when needed...

One reason I am scared of getting this is the weight loss...the older we get the more nutrients our body needs, and what if this prevents it from happening....

CANCER and its treatments (lord forbid) Cancer treatments really mess you up...will We be able to recover with a sleeve???

You reminded me of my concerns initially, after surgery. I was in a literal state of shock at how little I could take in and was worried sick about getting sick with all the implications as you indicated! Seriously ill, that is, and what would happen having hardly any room for nutrients, food, drink, etc. While in that state I was scared. I'm 5 months out now and my Protein capacity has increased significantly. I'm probably getting at least 70-100 grams a day. Mind you I'm still not fully adapted, yet I have a much better capacity to eat and drink. That said, your argument is a good one and I will follow this thread to read the replys you receive.

Before surgery, for the last 20+ years, I could never figure out why I had a weight problem, when I'd look at skinny people who were eating just like I was and didn't have a problem. Later, when I was eating horribly, I could never figure out why I ate so much and so often, and ate when I wasn't hungry at all... never figured out anything mental or emotional--I ate out of want, not need. I also never felt like I had a "full button" ... "full" to me meant stuffed to capacity and unable to stuff anything more in there.

Through all my reading and research, I've come to think of my "old" stomach as defective. I'm not placing ALL the blame on it, because God knows I consistently made HORRIBLE food choices, especially these last few years when I've given up hope so many times and resigned myself to living life as a fat person (so why bother trying, you know what I'm saying?). But that damn ghrelin...I'm convinced that most of us over-produce it and THAT'S what makes it almost impossible for us to lose weight and keep it off. My old, super-stretchy, ghrelin-producing stomach gladly helped me get fat, which caused problems with heartburn, reflux, back pain, knee, hip, and foot pain, and apparently the beginnings of high blood pressure, which I'd never had a problem with before going through my pre-op testing (that was a nice surprise). Looking at the family history, at what I'd most likely be facing down the road if I didn't have this surgery... well, I knew what I had to do.

With that "defective" thing gone, I actually physicallyl feel normal already, at one month out. Well, except for the fat itself. I feel like I have a nice, healthy stomach now. My joint pain is gone already and I've had no heartburn or reflux at ALL.

Think of this as repairing your old, problem-causing stomach and starting fresh... 'cause that's what you're doing. :001_tongue: