Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This might sound like a dumb question but, why does it sometimes take one to two weeks before a fill "kicks in" and you experience restriction? I had my first fill yesterday and this information was printed on the diet sheet the surgeon gave me and he also mentioned it in passing as he was exiting the room.

If they put saline in a ring that is secured at the base of your esophagus, why wouldn't you FEEL the narrowing right away? Does something magical happen at week one or week two? Am I just trying to see logic where none exists? My fill went fine and the only thing I notice is a little bruising over the port area. I go back on a regular diet on Monday or Tuesday.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may offer.

I don't know the 'why' of it, but I can attest to the fact that it does happen. Very strange phenomena indeed.

Hello and I am so glad somebody else is wondering the smae thing as me ! I just had my first fill 8 days ago, but mine "kicked in" 6 days afterwards. I have lost 5 pounds in this time ! Just after the fill, I knew I was not as hungry, but as the days progressed after, it got better and better. I have 1cc and I am in heaven right now. I have never PB'd and I can eat everything, even steak and bread and corn; albeit a very small amount of the carbs. I do not get raging hunger pains and I do not obsess about food all the time now. So, I don't know why it takes a while to kick in, but my goodness it is soooooooooo worth the wait ! GOOD LUCK to all of you and remember to really kick up the exercise ! That, I believe, is helping me the most !

My theory about this is that it's the way the stomach tissue reacts to the added pressure of a tightened band. When saline is added and the band tightens, the stomach tissue itself may "thin out" as a reaction to the pressure--a defense mechanism to allow the body to continue to nourish itself in reaction to a blockage. Perhaps after a couple of weeks of steady pressure, the reaction lessens and stomach tissues relax to their normal thickness, and the stoma gets smaller.

It certainly is a common-enough phenomenon, and for some people it can take more than two weeks. Some less. But since restriction is a function of more than just the amount of saline in the band, it makes good sense to allow your body to live with it for a month or so(especially women) to see where it settles in.

That's a pretty good theory, Alexandra. I had one cc put it and the surgeon said to make an appointment to come back on July 6 to be evaluated. I have to do 2 days of full liquids and 2 of soft and then it's back to a regular diet. I had some Soup for dinner and DID feel full when I was done so I'm hoping to FEEL what restriction is once I go to the regular diet. Thank you for your response.

I actually have always flet alot MORE restriction right after the fills and it seems to lessen in a week or so.

I myself, was just wondering the same thing.

Does anyone else find they didn't get restriction until 2 weeks later?

I am 8 days from my first fill and feel a bit more restriction today than I did. I am eating less, and staying full

I also noticed I go a stomach ache a couple of times. Is that restriction?

I found out why I was feeling restricted then not. My port was leaking. I had it repleaced & relocated in october. so I kinda started from square one. right now I am filled at 3.4 cc in a 5 cc band.

I have heard tho that some people feel mosr restriction later. also oyu will notice more restriction in the morning ussually.