Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused about my first fill

HI, I was banded March 31, 2006 and received my first fill .

Everything was fine then one day I had my lst PB with lots and lots of pain. (Never gonna eat those eggs again) and did liquids the whole day and felt great the next day and could eat what I considered a healthy, good day. But the next day I had 2 bites of shrimp and the pain was awful. Why is it one day this happens and the next day you are fine. It is not because I ate to fast or too much because this happened on the second, small bite. Does your band change sizes for different reasons or any ideas about this and has it happened to anyone else. Now I am afraid to eat anything because I don't want that pain again.

Thanks,

Please don't find yourself in what is called 'soft food syndrome'. You're right, the band can be fickle. One day wide open, the next clamping down on anything. My doctor tells me use warm liquids before I try to 'eat' anything, especially with a new fill. This serves to loosen things up a bit.

As you go along, you'll find there are foods just best not tried. eggs seems to be one that don't agree with me at all or never has when scrambled. I can eek by on fried - over medium, but NO scrambled eggs. They just settle too densely in the stoma. Not worth it!. You'll find threads here pertaining to unfriendly band foods that might be helpful as well.

For me, pineapple, lobster, scallops, some 'rubbery' textured fish, flour tortillas, breads, pizza dough, even english peas or corn can be problem foods. I don't attempt broccoli, unless it's the florets, same with cauliflower. I just steer clear of them. I do well with things like Tilapia (flaky fish), chicken breasts, tuna, cottage cheese.

Got myself a new fill yesterday, unfilled a bit today - so now it's back to trial and error. We'll see!

Go slow, take bites no bigger than a pencil eraser and just chew, chew, chew! Good luck!

I know what you mean, I just started solid foods and I have the same reaction, one day I did great the next look out. Just have to take a baby step each day

If you dare to try eggs again, try hard boiled and toss the yolk.

Other than that, I can't really top what leatha said. Sometimes shrimps give me trouble.. They are too dense, or... something.

If you keep having trouble, go back to your doc and get a little taken out. :cake:

I just got filed last Monday for the first time 1.4 cc in a 4 cc band. First I felt no restriction...but yesterday morning I had sharp pains in my left side and then again that night and this morning...is that restriction? or should I be concerned?

Both morning incidences occured prior to eating.

hey i just had the lap band done on april fools day. I lost close to 30 pounds over a month period. The majority of the weight loss is probably due to being on liquids and inflammation from the procedure. I had my first fill done the thrid week in March by a Dr. in Monroe, louisiana. I am not happy with the fill at all. I got the fill done and still have no restriction. I paid the doctor 300$ to basically fill my band with nothing. She says she put 2.4 cc in me but i was standing and was unable to see just exactly how much and I could not see the fluoroscope. The dr here said that if we had problems to call her and let her know and she could do a refill. Well, I did and they would not call me back. Also, they made us pay upfront and if she was unable to give you the fill then you would not get a refund. You had to sign a disclaimer. The problem is you cannot hardly find an md to do the fills around here, so she thinks she can hold us at a higher stake. We just found out that a nurse can do the fill under a md supervision with training. We may be beginning to do fills in the near future with a md in Monroe. I CANT WAIT. By the way, I am having to go back and get another fill TODAY. Maybe this time I will at least have some restriction. I have went through too much surgery, emotional uproar and financial difficulties not to have restriction. also, I have gained back some weight.

Did you by chance go thru FillCenterUSA in Louisiana when you got your first fill? I had a similar experience with them on my first fill and had to pay even though the NP decided that I should wait until 8 weeks to get my fill done. So I basically paid the $300 for nothing. I was so mad about it :) that I contacted the regional manager and got a refund minus the office visit fee $75. It didn't seem logical or fair that I should have to pay $300 for no service. I was 6 weeks out too so it didn't make any sense that she would want to wait to fill me. I eventually found a qualified, competent bariatric surgeon in my area (FL) to do my fills but it does still cost me $400 each time so I understand your concern on wanting to get as much restriction as possible for your $. You may have better luck with your 2nd fill--I felt nothing from my first one (2 ccs) but my 2nd one (.7cc) did the trick and I am doing better now. Good luck to you!!!

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241 highest/237 surgery/203/150

Did you by chance go thru FillCenterUSA in Louisiana when you got your first fill? I had a similar experience with them on my first fill and had to pay even though the NP decided that I should wait until 8 weeks to get my fill done. So I basically paid the $300 for nothing. I was so mad about it :P that I contacted the regional manager and got a refund minus the office visit fee $75. It didn't seem logical or fair that I should have to pay $300 for no service. I was 6 weeks out too so it didn't make any sense that she would want to wait to fill me. I eventually found a qualified, competent bariatric surgeon in my area (FL) to do my fills but it does still cost me $400 each time so I understand your concern on wanting to get as much restriction as possible for your $. You may have better luck with your 2nd fill--I felt nothing from my first one (2 ccs) but my 2nd one (.7cc) did the trick and I am doing better now. Good luck to you!!!

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241 highest/237 surgery/203/150

My doctor wanted me to wait a full 8 weeks before my first fill, which I did. So I guess it depends on the Dr. I love my surgeon - he is Dr. Agos at Swedish Covenant in Chicago.