Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintenance advice/suggestions/issues

You wrote this a while ago & I was wondering if this is still a problem for you?

To me it seemed potentially related to thyroid. Sometimes the thyroid increases, shortly before it poops out & goes flat. AT least that was what happened with me.

I've been maintaining since mid-April about 120-125lbs easily. I guess my body is just comfortable at this weight because regardless what I eat, or how I eat, I don't gain. Not saying I'm out eating junk, or totally screwing myself, but for the most part, I just eat what and when I want. I do still keep carbs in check to some degree, but I'm not depriving myself of white carbs. Everything is in moderation.

My labs have been superb since surgery, and my numbers have actually improved even though I was "normal" pre-op. My good cholesterol has improved, and all my levels are stellar.

I think my body just needed to get comfortable, and apparently it likes hovering around 120-125lbs. I'm okay with it now. My fat has redistributed, and I have accepted that I'm going to be this size.

I just lost another 2 lbs. Weird. I have been maintaining at 130 for nearly a year. I haven't even been weighing myself fanatically anymore.I got on the scale because I was afraid I gained from being out of town and eating more junk. I found out instead of gaining, I lost 2 more lbs. I am afraid I am losing muscle though, not fat.

I'm in the same boat. I randomly set a goal for myself at 150, I'm tall and big boned, but figured my body was settling in around 160. Over the last week I've dropped four pounds without even trying. I've been eating around 1500 calories too, but still low carb. Go figure! Looks like I might actually hit 150 though both my husband and myself are wondering where it's going to come from! Wow!!! I'm guessing for the long term anything between 150 and 160 will be perfect for me. What a ride!

C

I am glad this post was resurrected. After a lifetime of being fat, who would have thought we'd have concerns about being too thin.

My husband says I look great where I am and it would be perfectly fine if I stopped losing. I am still struggling with the desire to be 125 to 130 so I am not sure where I will fall eventually. But, I am definitely thinking more about maintenance and what that will look like for me.

The whole thing is very strange to me. I do exercise regularly, but I haven't changed my routine at all. I have upped my Protein the past few days because I am worried about losing muscle.The more muscle you lose, the flabbier the skin looks. I don't need that!

I really don't get why after a year, I would drop again when I have been eating more. I am eating bigger portions because I am 16 months post op now, and I am eating more junk. I know that's not good, but I have to wonder why I would lose and not gain from this.